Load DataRepackboxLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Wideners Reloading Everything

Thread: Factory 38 Special +P primers

Factory 38 Special +P primers

Does Remington, Winchester and Federal use small pistol magnum primers with their 38 Special +P loadings?

Appreciate any insight as to what the ammo manufacturers use for primers in 38 Spl +P applications.

Boolit Master

I don't know, but I doubt it. Magnum primers are tailored for the powder. Question would be, "Does so and so use powders that require a magnum primer in their .38+P loads?" Most magnum primers are used to ensure full combustion. Maybe I'm wrong?
    “You should tell someone what you know. There should be a history, so that men can learn from it.

He smiled. “Men do not learn from history. Each generation believes itself brighter than the last, each believes it can survive the mistakes of the older ones. Each discovers each old thing and they throw up their hands and say ‘See! Look what I have found! Look upon what I know!’ And each believes it is something new.

Louis L’Amour

The Californios

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Primers used for +P sometimes have a heavier cup to mitigate against cup flow around the striker point into the bushing clearance around the firing pin, but slower powders which may require magnum primers for acceptable ballistic uniformity are seldom used for +P, but only in .357 loads. The Federal 200 primer is used for .38 Special +P+ and .357. The Remington 5-1/2 for .357
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Information deleted in its entirety. I will no longer be sharing any chronograph data.
    Last edited by Hi-Speed; 08-08-2022 at 05:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    Primers used for +P sometimes have a heavier cup to mitigate against cup flow around the striker point into the bushing clearance around the firing pin, but slower powders which may require magnum primers for acceptable ballistic uniformity are seldom used for +P, but only in .357 loads. The Federal 200 primer is used for .38 Special +P+ and .357. The Remington 5-1/2 for .357
    …I believe that +P+ (110 gr JHP?) operates at 23.5k cup? pretty close to 38-44 loads I would imagine.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Speed View Post
    …I believe that +P+ (110 gr JHP?) operates at 23.5k cup? pretty close to 38-44 loads I would imagine.
    +P+ may run up to 15% above industry +P standard, but not all does.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master

From the Hodgdon No. 27 Data Manual, 38 Special +P, for both lead and jacketed bullets:
    Hodgdon Powders listed used Winchester SP [not magnum]
    Alliant powders listed used Federal 100 primers [not magnum]
    Winchester powders listed used Winchester SP primers

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    38 Special +P charge of Alliant 2400
    Hodgdon #27 ==> MAXIMUM, 158 gr. LSWC, 7.8 grains @17,400 psi
    Lyman #4 Cast Bullet Handbook ==> MAXIMUM, 155 grain Lyman #158356 SWC, 8.8 grains @17,300 CUP, CCI #500 primer [not magnum]

cup and psi are not equal

[late research] Complete Reloading Manual
    ==> MAXIMUM, RCBS 150 gr. SWC, 10.2 grains, #550 [magnum] primer
    ==> MAXIMUM, RCBS 159 gr. SWC, 10.0 grains, #550 primer

http://www.lasc.us/SAAMIMaxPressure.htm ==> 18,500 psi.

You have mixed messages (and calibers) in your posts above from 38 Special +P to 357 Magnum and back again as well as asserted you will "start backing off about 10%" from and for your Ruger BH 357 Magnum load of 12.0 grains. That assertion (12 - 1.2 = 10.8 grains) will put your 38 Special +P load of Alliant 2400 powder load OVER the powder manufacturer's MAXIMUM charge. Perhaps that will shoot in your Ruger, but that ammunition will be TOO HOT for 38 Special +P and imo, SHOULD NOT BE REPORTED THAT WAY here.

Please, correct me if I am wrong. For safety, get a manual and check respected online resources too.
    Last edited by Land Owner; 08-08-2022 at 08:05 AM.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

No sweat, I’m correcting you as follows:

My 2400 load was an example using CCI550 primers in 357 Magnum cases. I’m looking at my Lyman Load data Copyright 2017 in 357 Magnum section…they list CCI550 magnum primers for their 357 Magnum loads. The 12 grs load was worked up from 11.0 grs in 357 Magnum cases and I stopped based on the velocity obtained. That 12.0 grs load is within published Lyman 357 Mag load data.

I also added clarification and greater certainty that the 12.0 grs load is in 357 Mag cases

Why the upper cases? I sometimes lock my keypad in upper case by mistake at times as well.

…let me know if you would like to borrow one of my reloading manuals, including Handloader Magazine. I always rely on them and also the chronograph.
    Last edited by Hi-Speed; 08-08-2022 at 06:59 PM.