MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLoad DataLee Precision
Reloading EverythingRepackboxTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is it OK for me to ship a mold to someone to cast me some boolits?

Boolit Master

I have shipped a HEAP of cast boolits (as Precision Machined Parts) through the USPO and their Flat Rate Box (FRB), whichever size, is limited to 70 pounds.

The Small FRB measures (inside) 8 ⅝” x 5 ⅜” x 1 ⅝”. The Small FRB box is 75.33 cubic inches (ci) of shipping space, which if loaded to capacity with lead (0.4098 pounds per cubic inch) would weigh 30.9 pounds.

The Medium FRB is either 514.25 ci top loading or 546 ci side loading (both about 7X the capacity of an SFRB). The Large FRB is 792 ci and 10X the SFRB. Either Medium or Large FRB would be much more than the 70-pound limit if loaded with lead.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Grand Master

There are no restrictions on boolit moulds . I have been getting them from Lyman , NOE and Lee for decades.

Make sure they are well packed ... damage can happen if tossed in a ill fitting box with a sheet of newspaper ... like the one from a E-Bay purchase .

Make sure the carrier is good about getting packages delivered ... insure if the mould is valuable .

500 lead boolits will be heavy , may cost a bit and heavy packages usually arrive at my house damaged ... they get dropped because they are heavy . Picking up the cast boolits would save in shipping costs .

Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by canyon-ghost View Post
    The thing you can't ship is " Loaded Ammunition". Otherwise, yes, you can ship molds and bullets just fine. 500 rounds is not all that many. I bought 2500 commercial cast bullets once. Although, I do agree, it would be fun to pour your own and then, sort by weight. All that are within 1 gain range end up as the same load. But, nobody is going to even blink while you get a batch made.

Good Luck
    Ron
    Ammunition can be shipped via UPS or FedEx!

Boolit Master

There is no problem sending a mold and a friend casting you boolits.
    Make sure that the mold halves are tightly together with a wire tie or thin wire.
    Or wrap the halves separately.

Boolit Master
    I would question going overseas though

Boolit Grand Master

In the last 4 years I have received from Fed-Ex, UPS, and USPS; cast bullets (small flat rate box), brass (small flat rate box), loaded ammunition (vendor's packing). No special handling, questioning package contents. No problems with components since I escaped CA 12 years ago...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

If I have the mold, or at least the type of bullet your looking for I would cast them for you.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12