RotoMetals2RepackboxLoad DataLee Precision
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it OK for me to ship a mold to someone to cast me some boolits?

Is it OK for me to ship a mold to someone to cast me some boolits?

Thank for the replies!

Boolit Master
    well why on earth would it NOT be OK???? you sending two inert lumps of metal...the ywill return post two inert lumps of metal and many inert lumps of heavy metal......

Quote Originally Posted by Milky Duck View Post
    well why on earth would it NOT be OK???? you sending two inert lumps of metal...the ywill return post two inert lumps of metal and many inert lumps of heavy metal......
    I Didn't know if it was considered a ammo mfg making the cast boolits.

Boolit Master
    In small quantities, it should be fine. If you were making a business of it, you would have to register and pay ITAR.

Quote Originally Posted by sigep1764 View Post
    In small quantities, it should be fine. If you were making a business of it, you would have to register and pay ITAR.
    I was looking to get 500pc cast.

I've never had a problem shipping either one.

But it is easier to get forgiveness than permission.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Grand Master

Not a problem at all. When USPS asks me what is in the box, I tell them tools...
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    How experienced in casting is the person you are sending the mold to? Do you trust him to not use it as a hammer or a pair of pliers? Not to hammer on the molds? Those would be my only concerns.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Bub

Bullets don't require hazmat or notification to the shipper. I would just order a lead pot and pour my own. You can get lead ingots online.
    I use lead wheel weights. But you can fishing weights as well. Melt it, flux it, pour it, lube it, load it, shoot it!!!
    Follower of Jesus
    Licensed Certified Gunsmith, FFL
    Member, GOA, SAF, NAGR, OSSA, OFF, AFA, and FPC. Maybe others.

Boolit Grand Master

Not a commercial transaction, no money exchanged so caster doesn't need to be licensed. I often get cast bullets I purchased from commercial casters (when I don't have a mold for a particular bullet I want to try) delivered via USPS and UPS in small flat rate boxes. No special handling...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master
    if you have the mold why dont you cast your own ??

Boolit Buddy
    I had a friend who was the caster in such an arrangement. He gave the castee all the culls.

Boolit Master
    The thing you can't ship is " Loaded Ammunition". Otherwise, yes, you can ship molds and bullets just fine. 500 rounds is not all that many. I bought 2500 commercial cast bullets once. Although, I do agree, it would be fun to pour your own and then, sort by weight. All that are within 1 gain range end up as the same load. But, nobody is going to even blink while you get a batch made.

Good Luck
    Ron
    In all, the .41 Magnum would be one of my top choices for an all-around handgun if I were allowed to have only one. - Bart Skelton

Quote Originally Posted by turtlezx View Post
    if you have the mold why dont you cast your own ??
    Because, I sold my stuff off like dummy and only want to cast 500pc of 1 bullet.

Boolit Buddy

We, as a country, are in trouble. God help us.

Boolit Master
    Do you have some one in mind. Or looking for such a person? I could easily be persuaded.

Boolit Master

As others have said, it is not illegal to send someone your boolit mold huntersdog. Why not first ask here if someone already HAS the same mold and whether they would be willing to cast 500 pieces for you, which honestly won't take a lot of time I think? Then contact them by PM and conduct business OFF of these non-selling forums. I am of like mind as kbstenberg and could easily be persuaded if my mold is as your mold...

If someone casts for you El Bibliotecario and they return culls, CALL THEM OUT and show us what you received. We will reserve judgement in the meantime...
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master

With enough regulations, everyone can become a criminal.

Hope for the best, plan for the worst.
    My amendment can beat up your amendment.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by stubshaft View Post
    Not a problem at all. When USPS asks me what is in the box, I tell them tools...
    While I dont ship off my molds I do ship bullets to a few friends across the country. My PO thinks I make Fishing jigs. I tell them the boxes contain lead that is why they are so heavy.

Absolutely your a private person not a company. Anyone with a problem can pound sand this is still America. I miss the days when a stern "Mind your own business." Or "Stay in your own lane man" lastly just a punch in the nose solved issues with Nancys or bullies.

Its kinda like the S, S & Su theory. (Or forgiveness over permission as mentioned.)

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Master
    A couple of years ago my younger brother moved to a new apartment on a 2nd floor that didn't have a patio or a place for him to cast. He had his reloading stuff set up, but his boolit supply was starting to dwindle. I took pity on his situation and mailed a flat rate box of powder coated 44 SWC's to him. When I handed it to the guy behind the counter at the post office he said "Geez! What's in this - lead?!" I said "Maybe....." And that was it. We both smiled, and knew what was going on. The package was sent with no problems, but I would have liked to see the look on the face of the postal carrier that had to carry that box up the stairs to my brothers place.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast