Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionReloading EverythingWideners
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with 10mm please

Boolit Buddy

Help with 10mm please

Just picked up a g20 for farm duty. Mostly feral hogs. Any recommendations for hunting slug/mold is appreciated.

Haven't researched powders or anything.

Blue bullet makes 180gr and 200gr RFN boolits for the 10mm.

Boolit Buddy
    I shoot a Glock 40 Gen4 with a 6.5" KKM barrel, and the Accurate 40-200C 200 grain mold works FABULOUIS on hogs and deer out to 100 yards for me. I could probably drop back to a 180 grain cast, but this boolit just shoots so good and has great on-game performance the little bit of trajectory I would gain is minimal and not worth it to me. I shoot this boolit at 1300+ FPS and it is cast of 50/50 COWW and pure lead with pewter thrown in for a 30:1 alloy. Accurate No.9 and Longshot powders are your friends!!! The 10mm is a great round to load for and hunt with - enjoy it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10MM Cast.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	38.4 KB 
ID:	302964

I agree with OFFSHORE, but I use coated hard cast.

I like the Accurate 40-180BG. I shoot them gas check'd and had Tom leave out the lube grove since I PC them. With a full case of AA#9, they go about 1350 fps out of a Ruger GP100 with a 4" barrel.
    WWG1WGA

Howdy!
    I picked up a G20 some 15 years ago in 10mm. It will keel hawgs! I began with 180gr XTP reloads at 1180 fps from the G20.

I’ve been casting and powder coatings for little over a year. These bullets will keel!

I use a Lee 401-175-TC and once powder coated ends up close to 180gr.

My lead mix is using SOWW+Hardball. It yields approx. 11.3 BHN and no leading. I push the 10mm hard with a carbine upper; to 1600 fps. My G20 G3 is stock. Longest shot was 120 yards on a hog with a single pill from the carbine. DRT.

200gr. may provide better knock down, but as I’m a newby to casting, I started with the 175, and it seems to fit my needs. The carbine is my main hog weapon, day/night, and my G20 is carried as a woods sidearm.

Powder is #9 and brass is Starline or SIG. Work up your loads and monitor signs for pressure. I’m loading a mid to full power load, but not nuclear.

Good luck!
    Last edited by Cast10; 08-08-2022 at 08:59 AM.

Boolit Master

Not launched from a 10mm, but a WFN 180 grain 10mm bullet cast of 20-1 & launched into milk jugs from a .38-40 '73 Winchester to test the rifle before the custom mold arrived. Perhaps a bit over 10mm speeds. I think the concept is sound.

Name:	.38-40 Jug Shots.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	41.0 KB 
ID:	302988
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by OFFSHORE View Post
    I shoot a Glock 40 Gen4 with a 6.5" KKM barrel, and the Accurate 40-200C 200 grain mold works FABULOUIS on hogs and deer out to 100 yards for me. I could probably drop back to a 180 grain cast, but this boolit just shoots so good and has great on-game performance the little bit of trajectory I would gain is minimal and not worth it to me. I shoot this boolit at 1300+ FPS and it is cast of 50/50 COWW and pure lead with pewter thrown in for a 30:1 alloy. Accurate No.9 and Longshot powders are your friends!!! The 10mm is a great round to load for and hunt with - enjoy it.

Name:	10MM Cast.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	38.4 KB 
ID:	302964
    Where can I find load data for Longshot powder( its what I have) and this weight cast slug? I just moved and my manuals are packed up. Not looking for anything specific, just a printed source.
    I bought a box of self defense loads. Nothing too hot. Box states 180 gr @ 1250fps. The new gen 4 g20 buldged the brass on 2 of the 4 that I shot. Ordered a KKM barrel last night. Not dealing with trashing my brass.

Boolit Master
    Hodgdon has data online for Longshot accessible from their website.

Boolit Buddy
    I appreciate the help Gents. Just ordered the 40-200C.

Accurate is my favorite mold maker. I have one for my Linebaugh and its a hand held rifle.

Thanks again,
    Colby

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Elpatoloco View Post
    I appreciate the help Gents. Just ordered the 40-200C.

Accurate is my favorite mold maker. I have one for my Linebaugh and its a hand held rifle.

Thanks again,
    Colby
    Tom at Accurate Molds is a great guy to deal with and pick his brain. I really like the 40-200C bullet with my alloy, it just goes together like peas and carrots - LOL. There is all sorts of Longshot powder recipes out there. 10mm firearms.com has some good info from time to time. The 10mm is a good round, enjoy it.

Boolit Buddy
    I'm shooting 8.7 grains Longshot with Winchester LPP in Starline brass seated to 1.255" COAL. . .and 12.5 grains of Accurate No.9 with the same. I get better accuracy with the No.9 powder and more mileage with LS which is in a dead-heat close to the No.9 loads in speed. Just my $0.02.

I shoot Accurate 195G, my design. Coated, over aa#9, a really good shooter.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Name:	10mm boolits 003 (640x480).jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	176.7 KB 
ID:	303123 Here is one I use for a Colt Delta. It' a 170 gr Lee and I load Accurate #7. Works great for a relatively inexpensive plinking boolit and anything going 10 mm velocities is going to hit with authority.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Vendor Sponsor

I shoot a Glock 40 Gen4 with a 6.5" KKM barrel, and the Accurate 40-200C 200 grain mold works FABULOUIS on hogs and deer out to 100 yards for me. Cast of 50/50 COWW and pure lead with pewter thrown in for a 30:1 alloy.
    THIS^^^^ Is about as perfect an alloy for a hunting boolit as you are going to find!
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    THIS^^^^ Is about as perfect an alloy for a hunting boolit as you are going to find!
    It is a "Bad Mamah Jamah" for me on deer and hogs in the southeastern states. And when I can print 2" (honest) groups with a Leupold DeltaPoint Pro at the 50 yard line at 1300+ FPS, there isn't much there to dispute. It is a great 100 yard and inside hunting firearm. I really enjoy my 10mm and cast loadings.

Boolit Buddy
    Tom at Accurate Molds is a great guy to deal with and pick his brain. I really like the 40-200C bullet with my alloy, it just goes together like peas and carrots - LOL. There is all sorts of Longshot powder recipes out there. 10mm firearms.com has some good info from time to time. The 10mm is a good round, enjoy it.
    Holy smokes! I receieved my 3 gang mold from Accurate this afternoon. His website said 4 week lead time. IIRC, same thing happened whe. He cut a mould for my Linebaugh. Going to drop some slugs tomorrow!
    The Factory Barrel in my G20 bulges brass with factpry loadings of somewhat standard loads. Ordered a KKM same time that I ordered mould. Same 4 week turnaround stated on their website. Now I'm kind of disappointed that I'll likely have to wait a bit for it.

Did you have the slide Milled for that Optic????
    Ive gone to a dot on my revolvers and expect I'll need to do the same on the G-lock.

Boolit Master

Mornin man,

Congrats on the awesome Accurate mold Tom does them right!! What did ya get?
    Congrats on the KKM as well. They are great and worth the wait. But know they can come with some bullet fitment issues too. OAL and powder coat thicknesses. Not insurmountable but probably have to tune your loads oal a bit. Yes most glock (all really) allow a case to seell. Everyone is so critical of this needlessly. We are not talking a Glock Smile here just a fat case. That comes from a slightly more generous chamber designed to still provide good accuracy but far better reliability. I run a number of 10mm Glocks and largely dont mind the factory barrel with my cast/powder coated bullets. I like the KKM partially for better accuracy but mostly for ext length's that allow better ballistics.

If yours is not red dot compatable, (and you know you want) Id advise choosing a reputable smith and have the slide cut. I DO NOT advise a "universal" or "NO SMITH" base for anything but seeing if a dot is for you. They can work very well for this but are higher on the slide and will loosen with firing & can mar your slode finish.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by cwlongshot View Post
    Mornin man,

Congrats on the awesome Accurate mold Tom does them right!! What did ya get?
    Congrats on the KKM as well. They are great and worth the wait. But know they can come with some bullet fitment issues too. OAL and powder coat thicknesses. Not insurmountable but probably have to tune your loads oal a bit. Yes most glock (all really) allow a case to seell. Everyone is so critical of this needlessly. We are not talking a Glock Smile here just a fat case. That comes from a slightly more generous chamber designed to still provide good accuracy but far better reliability. I run a number of 10mm Glocks and largely dont mind the factory barrel with my cast/powder coated bullets. I like the KKM partially for better accuracy but mostly for ext length's that allow better ballistics.

If yours is not red dot compatable, (and you know you want) Id advise choosing a reputable smith and have the slide cut. I DO NOT advise a "universal" or "NO SMITH" base for anything but seeing if a dot is for you. They can work very well for this but are higher on the slide and will loosen with firing & can mar your slode finish.

CW
    I got the 40-200C. Tried casting with it this morning and fought it for about 2 hours before I got it running right. Scrubbed it out with brake cleaner 3 times before the wrinkles quit. Drops very nice looking slugs of 50% WW and 50% range scrap. Will coat them this evening.

I will eventtually have the slide milled.

My G20 swells the hell out of brass with fiocchi 180 gr defensive load. Is more than a little bulge. I have zero issued with stock barreled G41.
    As far as Marking up the finish on a glock.......I consider them knock around Dumpster guns. I have carried the G41 for a year and the slide looks like its been in a sand blaster. I carry it in a Simply Rugged Pancake. Cuda I believe they call it. Its accurate enough, but they are not 1911s. Cheap enough that I dont care if they get beat up getting in and out of tractor, etc.

I appreciate the insight fellas.

Boolit Buddy
    Got home this afternoon and the new KKM was in the mail box. I have cast and powdercoated about 3k 40-200c's. Made up 4 dummies that I keep to set up my dies from. They cycle perfect. Will make some loads up tonight and go from there.
    Again,
    I appreciate all the advise.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast