Inline FabricationRepackboxLoad DataTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: .41 long colt issue.

.41 long colt issue.

Well I finally reloaded my first cartridge, come to put it in the cylinder and its atleast a 1/4 inch to long.
    Do I trim the case?

Boolit Master
    well I know nothing about the .41 magnum...and dont load for handguns...but there is something SERIOUSLY WRONG going on here...
    1/4" of case growth is an obscene amount...seriously obscene.
    that brass had to come from somewhere to get out the front...please use paperclip feeler guage ASAP on some cases and find someone with more knowledge than me to help you BEFORE you fire any of these cases again....

Boolit Buddy
    Is that a heel-based bullet or the hollow-based bullet? What Colt revolver is that for? With a hollow-based bullet you should not need to trim the case. See the picture below. I am shooting out of a Uberti and I have to trim my cases if I shoot heel-based bullets. The original case length for a heel-based bullet was .900. Starline brass is 1.125.
    Bill

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	41-colt bullets.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	137.0 KB 
ID:	302955

Quote Originally Posted by barkerwc4362 View Post
    Is that a heel-based bullet or the hollow-based bullet? What Colt revolver is that for? With a hollow-based bullet you should not need to trim the case. See the picture below. I am shooting out of a Uberti and I have to trim my cases if I shoot heel-based bullets. The original case length for a heel-based bullet was .900. Starline brass is 1.125.
    Bill

Name:	41-colt bullets.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	137.0 KB 
ID:	302955
    Its a heel based bullet mold from Accurate. How much do you take off the cases? And whats your load?
    I shot it once and I used 3.8 of trail boss.

Boolit Buddy
    The heel-based bullet you see is the Accurate 41-200C mold. I have the 4-cavity version and cast pure lead. The bullet as cast diameter is about .406. I have to trim the cases to 1.10 for my Uberti to allow the cylinder to rotate. I crimp mine using the Old West Bullet Molds crimp die. I would suggest seating a bullet in an un-trimmed case and see how much it sticks out the front of the cylinder. Then trim the case that amount plus .005 - .010. That should allow the cylinder to turn. The original case length for heel-based bullets was 0.900". But I would only trim them enough to allow the cylinder to reliably turn. My loads come from the Lyman 40th edition reloading manual. I am shooting 3.5 gr Bullseye and 5.1 gr Unique with both bullets. The Unique load and the heel-based bullet seems to shoot the best. I haven't chronographed those loads yet. Here is the Unique load and heel-based bullets at about 12 yards off hand.

Name:	5_1_UN_HEB.JPG 
Views:	33 
Size:	89.2 KB 
ID:	302977

Boolit Master
    Try making a cast of you chambers then you will know what you are dealing with ???

Boolit Master
    There is a 41 short colt also. Could your cylinder be chambered for that.
    wiki
    This revolver cartridge was introduced to the American market for the New Line S A. revolver in 1873. The cartridge has a larger edge diameter than the cartridges of newer designs for trigger-tension revolvers. It can be used in these weapons, but it is necessary to charge every other chamber. After the introduction of revolvers with trigger tensioning, the production of this cartridge was terminated. The .41 Short Colt could be used in revolvers chambered for .41 Long Colt interchangeably. Both cartridges originally had an outside lubricated bullet with a small diameter heel fitting the neck of the case.[1]

Name:	41_Short_Colt_SA_metallic_horizontal.png 
Views:	20 
Size:	66.0 KB 
ID:	302983

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BLAHUT View Post
    Try making a cast of you chambers then you will know what you are dealing with ???
    For outside lubricated heeled bullets the chamber may be bored straight and chamber cast will show nothing but a straight tube. The fellow that has the duelist youtube channel if you find a fb or some other internet communication with him can likely tell you more. There were so many other revolvers out that might have used a 41 short colt case.

Hello Kev18,

The 41 Long Colt cartridge was created in 1877 for Colt's double action "Thunderer" revolver. The front of the bullet was about 0.406"-0.408"OD. The barrel was about 0.404"-0.406" groove diameter. The case was short at 0.932"-0.937" long and the bullet lubrication was outside of the case. The base of the bullet was smaller in diameter at 0.386"-0.388"OD to fit inside the case.

In the mid-1890's, Colt redesigned the cartridge. They reduced the entire diameter of the bullet to 0.386"OD and lengthened the brass case to 1.130"-1.138" in order to put both the bullet and its lubrication inside the case. The bore of the revolver was also reduced slightly to match the more popular 38-40 at 0.400"-0.401" groove diameter.

AntiqueSledMan.

Boolit Grand Master

From the looks of your cylinder you have an original - and probably an early one. These should only be loaded with black because of the metal used and the thinness of the cylinder walls. The Colt New Model Army and later can stand stronger loads.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!