Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLee Precision
WidenersLoad DataRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication Repackbox
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions for zero turn mower.

Boolit Bub

Suggestions for zero turn mower.

Plan on buying a new mower for my parents yard. Looking at zero turn mowers. Would like something around a 50" cut. Already looked at Toro's, Ariens, and Gravely's. Tried to look at Simplicity but the local dealer had none in stock all season (company was having a hard time getting parts). Would like to hear others with their suggestions and opinions. Thanks in advance for your replies. Paf

Boolit Master

Get something with a Kawasaki engine. Those were solid engines. Maybe there are better options now I don't know.

Boolit Master
    needing a new mower ive done a whole bunch of looking and leaning towards bad boy maverick 54" with Kawasaki fs730 or if i can raise the funds an altoz trx or a scag turf tiger or a kubota, might just be that much tougher and last much longer. all of the residential models ive seen at the big box stores for sale $3000-$4000 seem like way overpriced junk that probably won't last long. my commercial walk behind 24" sarlo mower blew up while using it day before yesterday and they no longer make replacement motor that will fit. $1,200 down the drain but it was about 15 years old.

Boolit Master
    I mow about 1.5 acre and used a 42” Toro ZRT Timecutter for almost ten years with no problems. My son bought a new 2022 60” John Deere ZRT early this year and left it here at our place on the understanding I could use it when I wanted but he asked that I do the maintenance (which was fine with me).

I have also used a Scat 60” ZRT at our church - of the three, I like the Toro the best. It’s the most comfortable and agile, and it’s been used the hardest. The deck was pretty beat up when I bought it (used) and I had to replace the spindles but that’s been the only maintenance issue.

I was planning to buy a new Toro 54” but having the JD already parked here is good enough.
    Last edited by HWooldridge; 08-06-2022 at 02:29 PM.

Boolit Master
    Having just had a knee replacement, I have had a landscaper mow my very hilly yard recently. He uses a Kubota zero turn commercial mower. It has been amazing to watch him. The hills he goes over and banks he mows across are ones I would never try with my rider and he mows fast (!!). The areas I have has to "push-mow" instead of my rider he has no problem ding with his zero-turn. It has a lot to do with the center-of-gravity being lower. He has been using that mower for a couple years at my neighbors so I suspect the quality is great but I also suspect it was quite expensive.

Boolit Master
    Dr.feilds has a nice batery power one clame cutting 5 acers on one charge

Boolit Master
    Check mounting holes and shaft size you can find one that fits just takes time to look

also look at big dog and scag mowers.
    “It is not enough that we do our best; sometimes we must do what is required.”
    ― Winston S. Churchill

Boolit Master
    Ferris is very popular around here with the commercial outfits.
    Founder of the Single Shot section.

A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take everything you have.

8 in the 10 ring, then I get a PING. Love my Garand.

Boolit Mold
    My son recently bought a Bad Boy mower, 24 HP. I looked at it & the manuals very closely. As a retired hydraulics engineer, I’m impressed at their design. Each wheel has it’s own hydrostatic transmission, boost pump, cross port reliefs, charge oil filter & relatively large oil reservoir. Maintenance was thought out to make it easier. Appears to be Sauer Danfoss components; they’re well know in the ag industry for hydrostatic drives.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Paf View Post
    Plan on buying a new mower for my parents yard. Looking at zero turn mowers. Would like something around a 50" cut. Already looked at Toro's, Ariens, and Gravely's. Tried to look at Simplicity but the local dealer had none in stock all season (company was having a hard time getting parts). Would like to hear others with their suggestions and opinions. Thanks in advance for your replies. Paf
    I bought a Kubota ZD1211 several years ago. I move 8 acres with the machine. It is a 52" diesel job and man does it cut. It was expensive but with zero interest my payment was $357/MO and should last me the rest of my life. It is heavy made commercial model but it replaced another zero and boy is it a great machine. I would highly recommend it!
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan

I have been mowing some incredibly rough terrain for the last year using a Hustler Super Z. 25hp Kawasaki engine, 72" cut, I am extremely impressed with it. There's no way a homeowner type mower would hold up to what this machine is getting put through.

Boolit Master

I have had good luck with Hustler mowers. Stay away from kohler motors. The Kawasaki's have proven to be much better.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Paf View Post
    Gravely with the Kawasaki engine. I have their 50" cut and love it.

Boolit Grand Master
    Not enough info...

How many acres
    Layout of land
    How many cuts per year
    How long do you want the mower to last.

Stupid to buy an $8000 mower to cut 2 acres of level fairly open ground 25 times a year. With a 54” deck that will take 25 hours a year. A $4000 unit will last over 800 hours...so 32 years.

I have 2 acres with lots of trees and other stuff and my 54” ZT does it in an hour. I put 20 hours on it last year. I have the Bad Boy Elite. More machine than I needed but it has a front suspension so it rides a bit better. I expect to get 1000 hours out of it. I bought last year when I was 70. I will not live long enough to wear it out.

I could have bought a $3500 bargain model that will last 400 hours, and still likely be dead before replacing it.

Lots of folks justify toys they do not need. If you are cutting 5 acres, just run the numbers and see what fits your needs.
    Don Verna

Boolit Buddy
    We recently went with the entry level Kubota Z231 with the Kawasaki engine. 12 hrs on it so far and it is doing great for our 3/4 acre lawn.

Boolit Master

Have been using Mom's Hustler to mow her lawn for about 8 years. The dealer said the Kawasaki engines gave no problems, had not had any major engine problems on any of them. He is an independent shop that sells lots of saws to loggers and mowers to lawn services. The Hustler seems to be heavy duty.
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

Hustler, hands down since they invented zero turn mowers. Size your mower so you can be done in one hour or thereabouts.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    Not enough info...

How many acres
    Layout of land
    How many cuts per year
    How long do you want the mower to last.

Stupid to buy an $8000 mower to cut 2 acres of level fairly open ground 25 times a year. With a 54” deck that will take 25 hours a year. A $4000 unit will last over 800 hours...so 32 years.

I have 2 acres with lots of trees and other stuff and my 54” ZT does it in an hour. I put 20 hours on it last year. I have the Bad Boy Elite. More machine than I needed but it has a front suspension so it rides a bit better. I expect to get 1000 hours out of it. I bought last year when I was 70. I will not live long enough to wear it out.

I could have bought a $3500 bargain model that will last 400 hours, and still likely be dead before replacing it.

Lots of folks justify toys they do not need. If you are cutting 5 acres, just run the numbers and see what fits your needs.
    The best reply yet! I have a Woods FZ25D with a 25hp Kubota diesel engine, but Woods are out of business now. I mow 6 acres and sometimes others as well. When I lived in town I mowed about 1/4 acre and others occasionally with a Snapper residential level zero turn mower. I went through two engines and a few parts in 10 years! Most manufacturers make residential and commercial equipment, most gasoline-powered engines are ready to lay down after 500 hours, so as Don says, run the numbers. Only thing I'll add is buy from a business in YOUR area that services the brand you buy!

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Thundarstick View Post
    The best reply yet! I have a Woods FZ25D with a 25hp Kubota diesel engine, but Woods are out of business now. I mow 6 acres and sometimes others as well. When I lived in town I mowed about 1/4 acre and others occasionally with a Snapper residential level zero turn mower. I went through two engines and a few parts in 10 years! Most manufacturers make residential and commercial equipment, most gasoline-powered engines are ready to lay down after 500 hours, so as Don says, run the numbers. Only thing I'll add is buy from a business in YOUR area that services the brand you buy!
    The last line in the quote is key.
    If there isn’t a dealer close to you, parts can be a challenge at times and turn into weeks down time.
    I bought a grasshopper 725 with a 52” deck 22yrs ago. It mows about 15ac a week. With regular maintenance only thing that has been replace is the seat last year and the shaft carrier bearing and blade hoops on the deck about 5yrs ago. There is a dealer about 12 miles from me, so parts have been easy to get when needed. It wasn’t cheap to buy back then, but the old 725 don’t owe me a thing and still runs great. Not saying a grasshopper is your answer, just illustrating that I went with it due to local dealer support.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast