MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingInline FabricationLoad Data
WidenersRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionRepackbox
Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2 Cycle oil

Boolit Bub

2 Cycle oil

Been using synthetic 2 cycle oil on my molds. Works well. Noticed I'm running low on CLP for gun lube. Any thoughts on how 2 cycle oil would work as a substitute?

Moderator Emeritus

2 cycle oil will be fine for some aspects...Over the years, I've learned that a variety of guns need a variety of oil/lube products.

I use Ed's Red in applications where I use to use a product like CLP...except where there is a lot of handling of guns, like at a gunshow, then I use the "secret gunshow oil" formula on the outside of gunshow guns.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    Ed's Red for me too, the ATF leaves some protection behind. I switched from ATF to Marvel Mystery though to improve the smell. Some of the new ATFs smell worse than hypoid oil.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Moderator Emeritus

I haven't smelled any new ATF, lol...
    I can get vintage ATF for free at the County HHW reuse room.
    As to smell, I use Turpentine (instead of MS), just because I like the Piney fresh smell...PLUS, it seems more often, I can get it free, than the MS, at the HHW reuse room.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by fayettefatts View Post
    Been using synthetic 2 cycle oil on my molds. Works well. Noticed I'm running low on CLP for gun lube. Any thoughts on how 2 cycle oil would work as a substitute?
    Used CLP while in the Canadian Reserves. Synthetic 2 stroke oil has almost all gun oils beat. It lubricates and keeps metal from rusting, does not gum up, and it works at -40C.
    Go now and pour yourself a hot one...

Boolit Master
    Mobil 1 oil is used by a lot of folks on their guns.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by contender1 View Post
    Mobil 1 oil is used by a lot of folks on their guns.
    Mobile 1 is what I use on my ARs, just tried it for cleaning the Bolt Carrier Group. It floated away the combustion products and I wiped them off. I like it better than the Action Cleaner I got a sample of.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Master
    You might want to spread some on your gun and let it dry. Then see how it feels in your hands and how much debris it attracts.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by jsizemore View Post
    You might want to spread some on your gun and let it dry. Then see how it feels in your hands and how much debris it attracts.
    OK, spread some what? It is helpful to quote at least some of a post for continuity.

45_Colt

Boolit Master

Wondering if Redline Two Stroke Racing Oil would work like Bullplate Sprue Lube. I use it to mix fuel for my gasoline powered R/C airplanes and as an assembly lube when I rebuild the R/C engines. It’s a very clean oil unlike most chainsaw oils from big box stores. I haven’t tried it on guns but have no doubt it would be a good gun oil.

I picked up some dispenser bottles from Amazon. They’re excellent for applying controlled amounts of lubricants. They don’t seem to have the exact ones that I got but these are similar.

https://www.amazon.com/Blunt-Needle-...%2C175&sr=8-11
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Grand Master

Compared to regular API certified 4 stroke oil like a 5w30, most 2 stroke oils have similar lubricity, less detergents, and additives that are meant to burn off clean. How this would effect a gun, I doubt you would see a difference. CLP is a whole different animal. 2 stroke oil does not contain anything that would be a cleaner. 2 stroke oil would be a very good lubricator. Despite being meant to be used and burned, it seems 2 stroke oils hold up to repeated use well enough. It won't be any worse than Hoppe's gun oil, or Rem oil. As a protectant, I think that really depends on the oil. A TCW III rated oil is meant for water cooled engines such as boats, and seem to contain rust penetrative additives. A racing 2 stroke oil such as Amsoil Dominator does not contain anything that would prevent rust, however, it is still oil. As long as there is oil on there, it wont rust.

Boolit Master

I used RemOil on a barreled action after hot bluing it for the aging oil. I was very surprised when I unwrapped it two days later and it was bone dry. I think the main lubricity in it is the Teflon. The oil is just a volatile carrier.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by David2011 View Post
    I used RemOil on a barreled action after hot bluing it for the aging oil. I was very surprised when I unwrapped it two days later and it was bone dry. I think the main lubricity in it is the Teflon. The oil is just a volatile carrier.
    I think you are right, but I also think Rem oil is the worst gun oil made. It's worse than Hoppe's, which is just mineral oil in an orange bottle.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    100% synthetic oil was really popular in Alaska when it first came out. People started using it in their airplanes, but after several years they started having engine problems. Apparently, the oil was so thin and slippery, that if a plane was not started for over six months, the oil residue that protected the cam shaft from rust wasn’t doing its job. Everyone who wanted to start their plane in winter, switched to 50/50 synthetic and mineral oils.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    I think you are right, but I also think Rem oil is the worst gun oil made. It's worse than Hoppe's, which is just mineral oil in an orange bottle.
    I agree on Remoil. It was being used at Montana Rifle Co. when I started working there. We found the same problem, dries out, and doesn't prevent rust. I converted the company to Ed's Red, problems went away.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 45_Colt View Post
    OK, spread some what? It is helpful to quote at least some of a post for continuity.

45_Colt
    2 cycle oil.

If nothing else, you won't have to worry about if can take the heat or not.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mal Paso View Post
    Mobile 1 is what I use on my ARs, just tried it for cleaning the Bolt Carrier Group. It floated away the combustion products and I wiped them off. I like it better than the Action Cleaner I got a sample of.
    Full Syn 0w20 walmart brand. Seems to work well but some on here have suggested it won't protect against rust. I have not found that myself as I think anything that stays in place and prevent air/moisture from the metal will work.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Grand Master

What I like about RemOil is it will not go gummy on you . The base oil is mineral oil ...like what Baby Oil is made from ... it will dissapate over time but leaves a thin micro-Teflon coating behind ...this is like "Dry Lube" . I've had some CLP's go gummy during storage and the actions had to be cleaned of the gum to work . RemOil will not go gummy ... the oil will dissapate but will not gum the works up .

P.S. When mixing Ed's Red Bore Solvent or Ed's Red Gun Oil ... there is a recipe for Ed's Red Gun Oil , remember to use conventional ATF ... Synthetic ATF will not mix with the other ingredients .

If you aren't familiar with Ed's Red formulas read the article in this link ... it's under - additional authors and articles - Ed's Red Bore Cleaner by C. E. Harris

http://www.lasc.us/ArticleIndex.htm

Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Grand Master

Does the type of ATF matter?
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast