Load DataLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingWideners
Inline FabricationRepackboxReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Primer prices

primer prices just continue to climb. I bid on some at an auction a year ago. was after one lot, but wound up buying both lots (because I wasn't paying attention) at nearly $80/k (after auction fees) ended up with 20k primers. About choked on the bill at the time - but it's pretty normal now I guess.

It's reached the point where a few of the things I shoot has actually become equitable to just buy factory ammo. Buddy was just talking about that the other day whether it would be worth buying a box of factory, pulling all the bullets and equalizing the powder charge and re-seating the bullets to uniform lengths.

It's probably a waste of time - but we might just try it to satisfy curiosity.

Boolit Buddy
    I picked up 1000 large pistol primers at a box store yesterday for $69.99
    Cargo

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Ass Wallace View Post
    "Down Under" CC primers standard primers are advertised at $170//1000 and up to $241/1000 for benchrest. I don't think they have reached a peak yet!

Hornady gas checks $130 - $150 per 1000! Realize our auzzie dollar is only worth 70c US but that is just stupid.

Highway robbery!

I've often wondered what the exchange rate was!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Pereira View Post
    I did pick up some lpp, and spp's the other day at $89.50 per k.

RP
    That must have been a previous shortage cuz You're Bald Now.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Master

Don't need 'em yet, but really, if it comes down to it, I'll pay another dime a shot to keep shooting . Still cheaper than golf !

Boolit Master
    Lately i have paid 12-13 cents a piece for them. Factory .357, 44 spc and .44 mag are so expensive it still makes sense to reload. Plus i get to tailor the loads for my guns.
    "If everyone is thinking the same thing it means someone is not thinking"

"A rat became the unit of currency"

Quote Originally Posted by Dieselhorses View Post
    I make my own
    I've been following Ardvark, saved my spent primers, and am about (sometime in the next 6 months) to buy the supplies needed to make non-corrosive primers. Now to my questions ... Which formula is your favorite and How have they worked for you? Do you recommend making a plate to hold the primer cups?
    VOTE, VOTE, VOTE often. In dealing with potential dishonesty or corruption, Something you might keep in mind is a revealing quote by S.W. Erdnase in his book The Expert at the Card Table "Almost every ruse in the game is more or less dependent upon another one."
    Politicians are like babies diapers, they should be changed often and for the same reason. Mark Twain

Boolit Master

Once in a blue moon bass pro 60 miles away gets a box of something odd..like federal lpm bench rest.. But they are 89$ so I get them. Same with a pawn shop about 45m away..they will sell chi 209's for 100/1000.. I buy those too.

These days..primer are catch as catch can. I found older Winchester orange/white box pistol primers a while back..still in their 5k sleeve..well keeps.. 115/box..i bought all 5 as fast as I could.

Cast Hunter

Cabelas in El Paso had large pistol (reg and mag) on the shelf for 8.99 per 100 last week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Boone and Crockett Club member
    <<----------------<<<<<<
    Pope & Young Club member

Boolit Master

It was only 40 years ago that I bought primers for 69 cents/100 and powder was about $8.00/lb. The inflation calculator says that 69 cents should be $2.12 today. Powder should be $24.56 by the inflation calculator.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bbogue1 View Post
    I've been following Ardvark, saved my spent primers, and am about (sometime in the next 6 months) to buy the supplies needed to make non-corrosive primers. Now to my questions ... Which formula is your favorite and How have they worked for you? Do you recommend making a plate to hold the primer cups?
    I assembled some SPPs earlier today. At the end of last year, I was considering buying SPPs when it would have cost me over $100 a thousand. Instead I invested in primer reloading. I have loaded enough ammo with reloaded SPP primers such that I have more than "paid for" my entire investment in primer reloading including equipment and consumables. My future out of pocket cost based on chemicals only should be around $0.30 per hundred SPPs.

If you are loading for handguns with powders that are Unique or faster in burn rate, EPH-20 seems to work fine. If you are loading for rifles or with very slow pistol powders (magnum loads), I would recommend EPH-25.

Making "plates" is useful for two steps. Holding primers for anvil removal and then for assembly and anvil seating of primers. I posted about my stuff at:

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...-Pics-and-Tips

Castloader made a bigger plate for primer assembly and put a photo in the Sparkpugs thread. The sparkplugs thread is long but is a good read. It is also a good place to ask questions or chat about primer reloading. I will be posting an "extended range report" in the Sparkplugs thread soon.

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...st-100-primers

Boolit Master

Just got back from a Gunshow at the Knoxville Expo Center. There were primers to be had (one vendor seemed pretty well stocked) but they all wanted $150 a brick - too rich for my blood.
    I did get a pretty good deal on some LC M2 Ball but generally, prices across the board were high.
    Semper Fi.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was out and about last week, decided to drop in on the two local shops that carry reloading supplies. Both had a mixture of primers. I'm thinking mostly from guys getting out of reloading, etc. No full bricks of a thousand. Actually, not even a thousand of any one kind. Some CCI, Federal, and an oddball I'd not seen before packaged 150 per sleeve. The prices ran the garment per 100 from $9.99 to $14.99.

Powder prices seemed to be holding around $42-$45 per pound. I can't remember what powder it was, but there was on 8 pound jug for $249.00. While not good, sure beats what was 12-18 months ago. I was happy to see some of my old friends from Alliant on the shelves. A friend of mine ran across some CCI #11 percussion cap's at Walmart this past week. I'll admit, while nothing to write home about, things seem to be getting a little better.

Murphy
    If I should depart this life while defending those who cannot defend themselves, then I have died the most honorable of deaths. Marc R. Murphy '2006'.

Boolit Master
    My take is this:

If you can afford the current prices and see a use for more primers, get them!

We have to get over the idea that they will return to "low" rates. It might happen, but what if it doesn't? On one hand, I'm glad there's at least some available.

As of last summer, I was already stocked up pretty nicely, yet I continued to buy at $70-90/1K because I knew that price point would be cheap compared to what they would be in the near future.

For us bullet casters, it's still a great satisfaction to whip up whatever combination of whatever suits our fancy at any given time because we have it in our personal inventory to do so.

So, even if reloading costs are greatly increased, it's still better than being at the mercy of whatever factory ammo is available and at the price point that is available (probably very high).

Of course, we all have our line in the sand of what we are not willing to pay in comparison to current personal inventory levels.

Powder valley has various powders at good for now prices... Longshot #8 pounder for $219 even adding shipping and hazmat, for on 8 pounder, is only $35 a pound.... Buy 40 pounds and it is less than that.... Primers.. oh well

Boolit Master
    It's still a juggling act to get primers and powder in the same order but it's a lot better than it was. This last order I had a choice between 2 stores. I wish I felt comfortable filling up the HazMat box like the old days but maybe if I don't buy so much the prices will come down.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Saw a bunch at fleet farm the other day for $10 per 100. Also Natchez shooters supply had emailed me yesterday and had some for $89/$99 per brick. Glad I stocked up last year and bought over 20 bricks at $39.99…that I thought I paid almost $10 a brick more then normal previously before the stupidity happened. My guess is it’s gonna take another two years to settle down. The fleet farm I visited had two giant rows of ammo like pre pandemic the other day! I did pick up 2 boxes of 10 mm 180 grain XTP 100 bulk boxes for $22 ea there. I have plenty of powder but would still like to find various pistol powders to try.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 08-18-2022 at 11:35 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12