Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyWidenersReloading Everything
RotoMetals2Load DataTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox Lee Precision

Thread: 2230C Powder

2230C Powder

Does anyone have any experience with this powder , I ended up with about a pound of it in a odd and end powder lot at a auction . Looking to load 30-30 , 308 , 7 08 with cast .
    Thanks in advance

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
    Jesus said ( Come unto me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest ) Matt. 11:28

Moderator Emeritus
    I used quite a bit in a .223 when it was surplus. It worked great. I think there was load data on the label for .308.

Boolit Master
    I tried it in 308 but couldn't get it to group like 748 and gave it away. Seems like it was about $10 a pound back then.

Boolit Buddy
    I loaded alot of 223 with it. IIRC I contacted the manufacturer and was advised load data was closer to 2460 than 2230. Started low, worked up. Wish I had more. Think I paid $6 or $8 a pound.
    "EXPERT= Ex is a has been, spurt is a drip under pressure" Unknown

I've used several lot numbers of 2230-C over the years. Every lot has loaded using AA-2460 data.
    Further, during my conversations with a Mr. Loubser at Accurate he indicated that 2230-C was about 6% slower than was standard Accurate-2230.

GC
    Kind regards,
    GC

Chico Marx, after his wife caught him in bed with another woman: "Who are you going to believe, me or your lying eyes?"

2230 was my go to powder in 223 Remington varmint rifles. Very hard to beat with 40-50 grain bullets but then Varget came around so switched, both do about the same though in my rifles. later, I switched to sub caliber 17 and 20 and the 223's just set unused..Doubt it does well in large cases but never tried it..

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by garandsrus View Post
    I used quite a bit in a .223 when it was surplus. It worked great. I think there was load data on the label for .308.
    Are you thinkin about AA2200 as surplus? I didn't know 2230 was ever surplused.

Boolit Master
    i have use many 8lb jugs, good powder, .223, 55gr fmj, 26.0 gr, 69gr hpbt 24.5, 7mm t/cu 140gr sp 28.5 grs., 30/30 150gr fp 31.5, 170gr fp, 30.0, 308 150gr sp 43.5, 168gr hpbt 42.0. all are max loads. worked great in .223 for 80gr bullets in competition, did not work in .308 in m1a, burned very dirty. start low and work up 1 gr at a time to find sweet spot?

Boolit Master
    Obviously it was meant to work well in .223, but I've found that it works well in .30-30, .308, and 8x57mm Mauser. If I couldn't locate my usual powders for use in each round, I wouldn't hesitate to substitute 2230 (with appropriate charge weight adjustment) in any caliber.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I have 3 eight pound jugs of it. I haven’t tried any of it yet. Got it last year with a bunch of rifles I bought. If you go on accurate powders website they say to use 2460-c load data for it. Some day I’ll load up some 35 whelen rounds with it. Looked at the 243 data but it seems the heavy for caliber bullets are listed with 2460-c. There are a lot calibers listed in their load data paper book that use 2460-c. I have an old one from around 2000’ laying around I was browsing through the other day.

2 seconds of googling and here it is….

Might have been cheap back then but with the supply and demand powder and primer shortage its worth ALOT more now.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 09-17-2022 at 09:34 PM.

Boolit Master
    I have most of am 8 lb jug that I bought when it was surplused out. I have been working with it in a AR, it does fine and meters great but seems to be a little smokey. Anyone else noticed this ?