RepackboxLoad DataLee PrecisionWideners
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does boolit lube go bad?

Boolit Bub

Does boolit lube go bad?

I just ran across some Carnuba Red that was still in the original baggie that it came to me in. Probably been packed away for 8 or 10 years. Still feels a little sticky.
    do yall thank it is still good?

Boolit Master
    Can you take a small piece and mash it between your fingers? If it is soft enough to do that, and still sticky, you are good to go. If your lube requires a heater, that is a different sort of test.

Boolit Grand Master

Yes, it can go bad. I had some Lyman NRA lube that turned into a mushy, moldy, mess. However, I also have some Carnauba Red older than yours that I still use.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Moderator Emeritus

I have never seen a boolit lube go bad, if it was properly stored. I have a few fairly old "collectable" packages of Lube, one is Ideal...not sure how old that could be? I'd be curious to know when Lyman started labeling their lubes with the Lyman name. I also have a RCBS tube from the 1980s...as well as a partial case of Tamarack (NRA 50-50) lube from same time (1980s).
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Grand Master
    I’ve had some Emmert’s lube dry out and begin cracking and falling off Minie balls that had been stored 3-5 years in basically open air… but they still worked OK, just the fouling was a little drier than I would have liked. I’ve also had a batch of that same lube seem to “lose something” when remelted too many times for pan lubing.

As for Carnauba Red (like from Lars) I have several pounds in both sticks and bricks I just bought from my friend Dale53. He’s had it for many years (at least 20+) and I bought it with perfect confidence. Also, I’ve never seen any of the old black Ideal lube go bad, even when on bullets for decades. Then again, everyone’s storage history will be different and may affect the lube they “store”.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master
    carnauba red is all ive used for at least 10 years I got several very large packages of sticks of it from them and what is left is still good and bullets ive lubesized and boxed up are all still good. no difference in performance since it was new.

Boolit Bub
    Thanks guys, it looks good and feels tacky so it appears to be ok.

Maybe just the lubes with tallow or olive oil or some kind of organic oil go bad.

Banner Sponsor

Your Carnauba Red should be good for a long time.
    I have not heard of any going bad.

Boolit Master
    I have had some dry out on bullets in storage. Dry and hard, still worked, it leaded barrel some, is all.

Boolit Master

Whats it taste like? Rancid? sweet?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Geezer in NH View Post
    Whats it taste like? Rancid? sweet?

Tastes a little oily.

Bee's wax, lanolin, tallow, whale oil, crisco, olive oil - Although I've never seen moldy bee's wax I'm sure it happens. The others are all apt to turn rancid after a time.

I have an empty antique bottle of Sperm Whale Sewing Machine Oil Manufactured in Saint Louis that I keep around for kicks.

Boolit Master

When you do not puke it should work fine

Boolit Master
    GONRA'a gallon can of ALOX 2138F just sits there, doesn't rot or decompose.....

Boolit Master
    Bees wax will develop a powder like covering over long periods of time and is called "bloom". Harmless to the product, just melt and use as normal.

Never saw the bloom and happy. I bought a bunch of high quality ingots maybe 12 yrs after starting casting and keep them well sealed. I can spot a BW candle a mile away and grab those in between pewter at the thrift store. Nothing in a few years on candles.

Boolit Master

I have rcbs stick pistol and rifle lube that must be a couple decades old.. Still good.

Boolit Master
    I've used forty year old Mirror Lube and Perfect Lube. Both worked fine and neither had dried out.

In the early 90's I bought a box of LBT Blue and firnshed the last of it last year and it looked and worked the same over that time. Still trying to deside on a replasment .
    We go through life trying to make the best decisions we can based on the best infomation we can find, that turns out to be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    I have never seen a boolit lube go bad, if it was properly stored. I have a few fairly old "collectable" packages of Lube, one is Ideal...not sure how old that could be? I'd be curious to know when Lyman started labeling their lubes with the Lyman name. I also have a RCBS tube from the 1980s...as well as a partial case of Tamarack (NRA 50-50) lube from same time (1980s).
    Lyman took over ideal in 1927

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast