Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingLoad DataWideners
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRepackbox
Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 222 Remington resizing problems

222 Remington resizing problems

Have loaded 222 Remingtons like forever. Never any problems what so ever. Now all of a sudden cases sticking to the depriming rod. Today and yesterday drove me nuts. Tried different lubes and even polishing the rod. Whatever I tried seemed to work for a bit then bang rips it right out of the case holder. Tried different shell holders also. Also lubed inside of neck of cartridge.

Finally got so disgusted ordered a new set of dies. Lee dies is what I have been using. I ordered a set of Redding dies. Anyone have the foggiest as to what might be going wrong ???

Boolit Man
    Might need to anneal your brass.

Boolit Master

Lube the inside of the neck maybe

Boolit Master
    yip,you have done SOMETHING different... try graphite powder to lube the necks,but there is another issue going on..you yourself have said been doing it for years without issue...so its NOT the die brand that is problem... try sizing a few younger or better stlll virgin cases and see if issue is still there... the annealing thing may well be your problem. the only time Ive struck what you are describing was in .308 with S&B brass....I threw it away in discust after getting it loaded and fired... just far too hard.

Boolit Grand Master

What may be going on is if youve been loading the same brass all that time, The necks may be thickening slightly so when you size it it actually a smaller diameter making it pull harder over the expander. IN a fired case unsized case slipping a bullet in if it isnt a drop in fit this may be your issue

Boolit Master
    Redding makes a carbide expander ball for their dies you might want to look into one.

Redding graphite case neck lube that you apply with the treated beads.

Is the brass clean? Or are you depriming/sizing before tumbling?
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Buddy
    It may be that the decapping/expanding piece is not threaded far enough into the die. After the case is sized and is being withdrawn from the die the case neck is still in the neck sizing area of the die when the expander enters the neck.

Bam, all jammed up...

45_Colt

Moderator Emeritus

Are the cases trimmed to proper length?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Buddy
    A trick I learned from Glen Zediker. Scrub the inside of the neck with a proper size bronze bore brush before sizing. Makes a big difference.

Also, the carbide expander button helps a lot.

With use, the pressure inside the case causes a brass migration/flow toward toward the mouth of the case. The cases get longer and the necks get thicker. That is why we must trim brass back and sometimes neck turn or ream the necks back to proper thickness.

My best guess is this is your problem.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Quote Originally Posted by 45_Colt View Post
    It may be that the decapping/expanding piece is not threaded far enough into the die. After the case is sized and is being withdrawn from the die the case neck is still in the neck sizing area of the die when the expander enters the neck.

Bam, all jammed up...

45_Colt
    That would do it! Easy to check, too. I've had this happen with those blasted Lee dies because the stem slips in the collet. I've actually welded some of mine to stop it.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 45_Colt View Post

Bam, all jammed up...

45_Colt
    I am also guessing this one

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Quote Originally Posted by Hays47 View Post
    Have loaded 222 Remingtons like forever. Never any problems what so ever. Now all of a sudden cases sticking to the depriming rod.
    What have you changed?

Did you start wet tumbling?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hays47 View Post
    Have loaded 222 Remingtons like forever. Never any problems what so ever. Now all of a sudden cases sticking to the depriming rod. Today and yesterday drove me nuts. Tried different lubes and even polishing the rod. Whatever I tried seemed to work for a bit then bang rips it right out of the case holder. Tried different shell holders also. Also lubed inside of neck of cartridge.

Finally got so disgusted ordered a new set of dies. Lee dies is what I have been using. I ordered a set of Redding dies. Anyone have the foggiest as to what might be going wrong ???
    You've proved that lubes and shell holders don't jam case mouths too deep into sizers. Working dies don't change in use.

I suspect you have your de-cap rod set much too high and trapping the sized necks in your die.

Quote Originally Posted by 1hole View Post
    You've proved that lubes and shell holders don't jam case mouths too deep into sizers. Working dies don't change in use.

I suspect you have your de-cap rod set much too high and trapping the sized necks in your die.
    As I posted earlier, a hateful feature of the Lee dies is that unthreaded decap rod that is held by a collet nut. It can (and does) slip in use, unless you tighten that nut with a couple of long wrenches until you think something's going to break. O.P. won't have that trouble with any other make of dies.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by uscra112 View Post
    As I posted earlier, a hateful feature of the Lee dies is that unthreaded decap rod that is held by a collet nut. It can (and does) slip in use, unless you tighten that nut with a couple of long wrenches until you think something's going to break. O.P. won't have that trouble with any other make of dies.
    One way to prevent this is to make sure there is absolutely no oil or lubricant of any kind either on the collet or the shaft before assembling the decapping rod. Another trick is to take some 80grit sandpaper or appropriate type of abrasive cloth, chuck the rod in a drill and slowly turn it while wrapping the abrasive around the shaft. This will score lines horizontally on the shaft providing more grip for the collet to grab onto. If you do this it will never slip unless it needs to for preventing breaking or bending the pin as it’s designed to do.

Decapping pin to large for the flash hole? Most all .222 Rem uses a 0.080" flash hole. The ones that dont may be using a 0.062" hole.

My Lee 223 die set could not deprime crimped in primer brass. The rod always slipped.

Been using RCBS since the 1970s.
    Last edited by 243winxb; 08-11-2022 at 07:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jetinteriorguy View Post
    One way to prevent this is to make sure there is absolutely no oil or lubricant of any kind either on the collet or the shaft before assembling the decapping rod. Another trick is to take some 80grit sandpaper or appropriate type of abrasive cloth, chuck the rod in a drill and slowly turn it while wrapping the abrasive around the shaft. This will score lines horizontally on the shaft providing more grip for the collet to grab onto. If you do this it will never slip unless it needs to for preventing breaking or bending the pin as it’s designed to do.
    Makes sense until you try it. Which I did. Tack welding is the only permanent solution.
    Cognitive Dissident

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast