Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Bonett
RepackboxLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyADvertise here

Donate Now Goal amount for this year: 6000 USD, Received: 4145 USD (69%)
Our Annual server fund drive is going on now! This donation drive helps fund Cast Boolits for an entire year, and helps support our 2nd amendment rights! You can donate by Paypal by clicking the DONATE button. Or by Cash / Check / MO to the address below:

Willy Snyder
PO Box 2732
Pocatello, ID 83206
****Due to overwhelming e-mails, I will be very slow in updating this list. Please bear with me!****

Thread: Do I use poly fill in 43 mauser?

Do I use poly fill in 43 mauser?

Be loaded and shot 31 grains IMR 4198 in my 43 Mauser with 380 gr cast bullet. Velocity wasnít very consistent but I was also not taking care to raise the rifle before firing so as to place powder more against the primer. That might help with the velocity spread. My question is would it be better/beneficial to use some Dacron or poly fill in the case to keep powder against primer? Iíve seen in here people say not to use fillers.
    If itís beneficial can some one tell me how much to use and proper procedure, if itís something other than just stuff it in over the powder and seat the bullet?

Boolit Grand Master

The use of a proper dacron (polyester) filler would be beneficial with that load in that cartridge. Might have to back off a gr +/- to maintain the same velocity due to more efficient ignition and burn.

Read post #2 for an explanation of the proper use of a filler; https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...use-of-fillers
    Larry Gibson

ďDeficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.Ē
    ― Nikola Tesla

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	21C8A910-F54F-4C26-B667-1B24AFB0780D.jpeg 
Views:	4 
Size:	125.6 KB 
ID:	302911
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    The use of a proper dacron (polyester) filler would be beneficial with that load in that cartridge. Might have to back off a gr +/- to maintain the same velocity due to more efficient ignition and burn.

Read post #2 for an explanation of the proper use of a filler; https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...use-of-fillers
    I read your post on the use of Dacron filler. Very informative. But I have a question.
    I do not have the flat sheet type batting but the fluffy cotton looking stuff out of some old pillows.
    See picture. Do I just pinch off a piece and poke it down in the case loosely and the seat bullet?

Boolit Grand Master

Yes, pinching off a piece of bulk polyester works fine. Just make sure it's enough to fill the airspace between powder and bullet base. A tudge too much won't make any difference. Too little can.
    Larry Gibson

ďDeficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.Ē
    ― Nikola Tesla

Should I reduce my 31 grain load to start with when adding the fluff?

Boolit Grand Master

If 31 gr was giving the correct velocity level for the older rifle and/or that appeared to be the accuracy node, then I would drop back 2 gr and try 29, 30 and 31 gr with the dacron filler.
    Larry Gibson

― Nikola Tesla

Just a word of warning - that polyester fiberfill can leave a hard deposit of melted plastic in your gun unless you keep the load hot enough. Ask me how I know! I subsequently bought a bag a kapok, which simply blows out the muzzle if it doesn't burn.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by uscra112 View Post
    Just a word of warning - that polyester fiberfill can leave a hard deposit of melted plastic in your gun unless you keep the load hot enough. Ask me how I know! I subsequently bought a bag a kapok, which simply blows out the muzzle if it doesn't burn.
    Hi there uscra112,
    I too use Polyester filler on pretty much all of my cast lead bottle neck loads and have not seen any hard deposits yet in the barrel or chamber but on my 1895 Chilean Mauser i do get like a hard carbon type deposit on the cartridge neck is this what you are meaning ?

Cheers