MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLoad DataRepackbox
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2

Thread: Egg shaped chamber mouths...

Boolit Mold

Egg shaped chamber mouths...

I aquired a very lightly used Cimarron Evil Roy .45 Colt recently. After going through 200 or more loads with 200 and 255 gr. cast SWCs with 3 different powders (Unique, Trail Boss, and Titegroup) and getting buckshot pattern groups at only 15 yards, I discover that all 6 cylinder chamber mouths are egg shaped, measuring from .452 to .456...gotta love that.

Does any one have experience dealing with warranty work with Cimarron/Uberti? I know these are made for Cimarron by Uberti, so which comany should I start with? Thanks in advance for any recommendations.

Vendor Sponsor

Hmph.. I don't know about their warranty procedure or policy but all you can do to fix that one is get the throats all honed to match the biggest one and size to fit. I think Uberti replacement cylinders are pretty cheap, where did you buy the gun? Used? New?
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master

Replace cylinder, have DougGuy hone chamber mouths.

Cimarron only warranty's to Original Purchaser, and only one year. I think, but it never hurts to call and ask.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Mold
    i traded the guy for it, done really well on trade value but burned up more components than I should have before getting smart and checking the throat dimensions. Warranty work is out as Im not the original owner, nice piece but doubt I will ever take a chance on another Uberti made clone. I will look into a replacement cylinder first I reckon.

Vendor Sponsor

My avatar pic is a Uberti Old West model, an aged and distressed finish make it look the part of an 1875 Commercial Colt. I actually like how they did this finish, and after owning an original 1902 made first generation SAA 45x4 3/4" I was astonished at how accurate to the real deal they got this one, right down to the "pinched frame" rear sight and one piece walnut grips.

Throats on mine are .4565" and I size a 454190 to .456" loaded over (I think) 9.0gr Herco it is quite accurate considering throat diameters and using 50/50+2% and SPG lube I never have to clean the barrel, so it's possible that yours can still be a decent shooter. Don't give up on it just yet.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10428434_10153228747281350_8549835687935572692_n.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	51.6 KB 
ID:	302927 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	11025959_10153228738926350_4766551173260112761_n.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	65.6 KB 
ID:	302928
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Are you sure the previous owner didn't try to do his own honing job and botched it? A number go years ago, after I bought my Uberti 45 Cattleman and discovered how much fun 45 Colt is, the LGS I have dealt with for years had a 45 Blackhawk come in on consignment and I was interested in it until I took a close look at the throats - they were all egg shape from where the guy had tried to open them up - probably with emery paper wrapped around a dowel in an electric drill.

How accurate are your measurements? No offense, but if you used calipers there is room for error. It might be well worth the time and effort to have DougGuy take a look at it to see if it is salvageable - he has an excellent reputation on here for his high quality work.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by bedbugbilly View Post
    Are you sure the previous owner didn't try to do his own honing job and botched it? A number go years ago, after I bought my Uberti 45 Cattleman and discovered how much fun 45 Colt is, the LGS I have dealt with for years had a 45 Blackhawk come in on consignment and I was interested in it until I took a close look at the throats - they were all egg shape from where the guy had tried to open them up - probably with emery paper wrapped around a dowel in an electric drill.

How accurate are your measurements? No offense, but if you used calipers there is room for error. It might be well worth the time and effort to have DougGuy take a look at it to see if it is salvageable - he has an excellent reputation on here for his high quality work.
    I cast all 6 throats with cerrosafe and took the measurement with a micrometer, im confident they are correct. they have not been botched it came from the factory like this. this revolver was nearly new it had 27 rounds through it, throats still have factory finish on them so it has not been reamed or honed.

Boolit Master
    I agree with bedbugbilly, probably out of round due to tinkering. Did you slug each chamber, or cast with cerrosafe and measure the slugs? To me, that would be the only way to determine size and if chambers are out of round. Trying to measure inside a hole can be tricky with calipers or even an inside micrometer.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by MostlyLeverGuns View Post
    I agree with bedbugbilly, probably out of round due to tinkering. Did you slug each chamber, or cast with cerrosafe and measure the slugs? To me, that would be the only way to determine size and if chambers are out of round. Trying to measure inside a hole can be tricky with calipers or even an inside micrometer.
    As I stated in my reply to bedbugbilly, I cast each chamber with cerrosafe, then used a micrometer to obtain my readings. each throat is absolutely out of round, .452 to .455...each throat. No one has tampered with the throats as they still have the factory finish on them, they have not been reamed or honed. I know the individual that i traded with and he only fired 27 rounds through the gun. Replacement cylinders are out of stock. I am communicating with Dougguy to see if he can do anything that may help.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by MostlyLeverGuns View Post
    Did you slug each chamber, or cast with cerrosafe and measure the slugs?

Trying to measure inside a hole can be tricky with calipers or even an inside micrometer.
    If they are egged real bad, even trying to use pin gages is difficult.

I have a Dorsey dial bore gauge that reads in .0001" and I have a Starrett split ball dial bore gauge that also reads in .0001" these both use a "setting ring" which you get close to the hole you want to mic, and set it to 0, then gage the bore and read the difference, add that amount to the diameter of the setting ring and you arrive at actual hole diameter.

Either one are pretty accurate they will both read out of round and belled throats with the utmost degree of precision, the only thing out there more precise and more consistent than these are an air gauge which I do not have.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    If they are egged real bad, even trying to use pin gages is difficult.

I have a Dorsey dial bore gauge that reads in .0001" and I have a Starrett split ball dial bore gauge that also reads in .0001" these both use a "setting ring" which you get close to the hole you want to mic, and set it to 0, then gage the bore and read the difference, add that amount to the diameter of the setting ring and you arrive at actual hole diameter.

Either one are pretty accurate they will both read out of round and belled throats with the utmost degree of precision, the only thing out there more precise and more consistent than these are an air gauge which I do not have.
    I got your PM, Doug. Gonna ship the cylinder out to you today or Monday and let you se what you think about it. Thanks again.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Thanks encore - appreciate your reply on how you measured - hopefully Doug can work his magic and please keep us posted on how it works out.

The throats on my Cattleman measure out at .456. (pin measured). I looked on my inventory and I bought it new around 2013 so probably was made then. I have both 452-190 and 454-190 mold blocks that drop at those measurements. For what it's worth, with both BP and Red Dot or Unique, both of those boolits shoot equally as well out of it even with throats .002 or .004 larger than my boolits. Mine is a 7 1/2" model and if I do my job. it shoots well at 50 yards even though I'm old and my eyesight is bad - well enough that I wouldn't want to bet on the receiving end. I picked up a used/like new set of NOE 454-190 clone blocks but haven't cast with them yet to know what they drop at. Just passing on my experience with my 45 Cattleman and boolits under size to the throats. Forgot to mention that I either cast them out of pure lead or "range lead" as I have been a "low tech" caster for 60 years.

Good luck and hope it all works out for you.
    Last edited by bedbugbilly; 08-08-2022 at 08:09 AM.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks bedbug, I have a friend thats gonna cast some .454 230 gr RN for me to try, if they dont do any better then off to doug the cylinder goes.

Boolit Master
    Try pure lead boolets and see if that makes a diference??

Boolit Grand Master
    Encore209x50, IMHO, you’ve already done your due diligence and come to the proper solution. With his measuring and honing capabilities, you should have a fine fix from DougGuy. You don’t mention the land and groove diameters of your bore, but assuming it’s at least .454-.456”, bullets sized to the cylinder Doug gives you should be tack driving accurate. Keep us informed.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
    Encore209x50, IMHO, you’ve already done your due diligence and come to the proper solution. With his measuring and honing capabilities, you should have a fine fix from DougGuy. You don’t mention the land and groove diameters of your bore, but assuming it’s at least .454-.456”, bullets sized to the cylinder Doug gives you should be tack driving accurate. Keep us informed.

Froggie
    The lands measure .450, the grooves .452....the boolits Ive been using up tp this point have been .452 in 200 gr and 255 gr. SWC. A friend is bringing me some .454 230 gr RN to try, if they give the same results then I will send the cylinder off to DougGuy.