WidenersLee PrecisionReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Repackbox

Thread: Is anybody powder-coating Foster slugs?

Boolit Master

Is anybody powder-coating Foster slugs?

We have alternately shot both Winchester and Federal rifled Foster slugs at work, and as the armorer, it's frequently my task to scrub the lead skid marks out of the smoothbores. Not the most entertaining chore on the planet.

I've been wondering if powder coating would have any benefit in this setting where the slug is in physical contact with the bore (in other words, no shot wad being used as a sabot), or if the coating would just peel right off, considering the super-soft alloys typically used.

Anyone been down this road? Useful links?

WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master

Why bother 3 minutes with 4/0 steel wool around the correct size brush on a drill and lead is gone! Way faster than powder coating the slugs IMHO

Just put your Foster Slugs in a shot cup like they were designed to be used. This will eliminate the problem you are having. I am loading 60 lee Slugs for a 3 gun shoot Sunday. None are PC'd there will be no problem with anyone's gun. Randy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100464871.JPG   47189.JPG  
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Grand Master

I've seen it done. I'm sure it would eliminate leading. I'm no fan of coating, but this would be a good use for it.

Alternatively, tumble lube in Alox works just fine.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer in NH View Post
    Why bother 3 minutes with 4/0 steel wool around the correct size brush on a drill and lead is gone! Way faster than powder coating the slugs IMHO
    A: Try it in an institutional setting where you're dealing with a couple dozen guns at a time. Time consuming and probably not the healthiest passtime to undertake. I chuck a Brownell's Double-Tuff bush on a drill for the task. . .& it's still often a time-eating mess.

B: Mainly considering this as possibly a worthy suggestion to the commercial manufacturers of the ammo.

My operating theory is that it would not only be cleaner, but probably more accurate if the bore is not accumulating crud with every shot.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Grand Master

It's hard to say if accuracy would benefit at all. The only guns that lead bad have rough and/or uneven bores. A good bore is a good bore, and there's no replacement for that. The only shotgun I have that leads significantly is also quite possibly the most accurate smooth bore slug barrel I own. Go figure.

I don't think the alloy is going to stop the coating, but hollow based slugs like rifled slugs do deform significantly during firing. It looks like this guy's coating is holding up decent, especially once he fills the base. https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...5-Slug-Results

Boolit Master

Institutional setting seems to me lazy public employee.

1 1/2 hours to clean 24 barrels. Actually, less I guessed at the 3 minutes mostly 2 would be correct. Let's add the time to powder coat huh? Way more eh?

Give us a break

Boolit Grand Master

Just put your Foster Slugs in a shot cup like they were designed to be used.

Never seen a factory Foster Slug in a shot cup. Some history on the Foster slug here.

https://www.ojp.gov/pdffiles1/Digiti...32229NCJRS.pdf

Foster Slugs
    The most common rifle slug in the United States is based on the design of Karl M. Foster of Great Barrington, Massachusetts. He developed the slug in 1931 for his personal hunting use. Foster originally ca'lt the slugs to shape in a 20-gauge barrel and then cut the grooves into the sides with a file. He subsequently obtained a custom-made mold from the Lyman Company (Middlefield, CT) and rifled the castings in a handmade die. He soon made theslugs available to his neighbors. In 1932, some of the Foster slugs were submitted to the Remington Arms Company. Experiments showed that they were more accurate than balls, but Remington was apparently not inclined to develop them further. In 1933, sample slugs were sent to the Winchester Arms Company, where they underwent extensive testing. Winchester accepted the new design, and factory loaded shells were first placed on the retail market in September 1936. The Remington Company soon recognized its error and added them to its product line in 1937. Foster type rifle slugs are now manufactured by Remington, Winchester-W~stern and Federal (Anoka, MN) cartridge companies. Lyman continues to make casting molds and a swaging kit for hand loaders. The first factory loaded slugs differed from those of Foster originals in that the weight was reduced to approximately .875 oz. Also, Foster had originally placed wax in the hollow base of his slugs so that accuracy would not be diminished by cardboard wadding sticking to the base. In lieu of wax, Winchester and Remington used a hard cardboard wad at the base. The diameter of the slug was further reduced for safety so it
    would pass through even the tightest choke. The basic Foster slug, however, remains a hollow lead cup, heavier at the point. It has 14 small angled ribs swaged into the side of the slug. The rifling tends to be obliterated by the passage of the slug through the barrel, especially
    through a full choke. Some spin does result from the ribs, however, and tests show a very
    slow spin of approximately one turn in 24 feet of travel to one turn in 129 feet of travel,
    depending upon the choke used.
    In 1980, Remington and other slug manufacturers increased the weight of 12-gauge rifle slugs to a full 1 oz.
    Neither Brenneke nor Foster slugs depend upon the rifling ribs or projectile spin for stability. The slugs are stable because they travel
    through the air like a sand-filled sock with the heavier toe forward (O'Connor 1965), unlike symmetrical lead balls (Figure 3). The trailing light end acts as a stabilizer. The slight rotation imparted by the ribs reduces the effect of manufacturing irregularities. In tests performed by Winchester-Western,the slu.g rotation was confirmed, resulting in consistently smaller groups for rifled slugs than unrifled slugs
    (Sterett 1966).
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 08-07-2022 at 05:25 PM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

He asked if putting PC on a Foster Slug would stop leading? If it is a full bore slug then yes it would. If he is taking shells apart to PC the Slugs then he's going to have to put them back in a hull to shoot them? The factory isn't doing it.

The Lyman Foster Cast Slugs are designed to be used in a Shot Cup, I haven't seen any other full bore Foster Style Slug molds out there with the exception of the Lee Drive Key Slug I just made 150 of last Saturday. They were loaded into a Claybuster Blue Slug Wad with a 1/8" card under the slug and a Overshot Card on top then fold crimped. They don't touch the bore so PCing them would not do anything.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bigslug View Post
    We have alternately shot both Winchester and Federal rifled Foster slugs at work, and as the armorer, it's frequently my task to scrub the lead skid marks out of the smoothbores. Not the most entertaining chore on the planet.

I've been wondering if powder coating would have any benefit in this setting where the slug is in physical contact with the bore (in other words, no shot wad being used as a sabot), or if the coating would just peel right off, considering the super-soft alloys typically used.

Anyone been down this road? Useful links?

New member so I'm late, BUT to finally answer your question (after reading all comments):

I PC ALL my slugs to avoid lead fouling in the barrel.

Even if the slugs won't touch it, why risk it.

Here's why (I just posted this on the r/castboolits on Reddit [https://www.reddit.com/r/castboolits...ic_powders/]):

No, or extremely little, lead fouling in gas operated shotguns.

Eliminates lead exposure when reloading.

No need for bullet lubricant.

Little to no lead and/or lubricant smoke when shooting.

You can use clear hulls to "color code" your different shot sizes and slugs.

It can be aesthetically pleasing or ASMR

In that link, you can see some 00 buck that I PC'd with 6 different colors from Prismatic Powders (owned by the same company that owns Cerakote).
    Including some that glow-in-the-dark.

I also did some DGS slugs from BPI.

Due to the Cerakote "sister" company, PP has amazing powders and a vast selection of colors. Unlike other companies.

It takes 10 minutes to PC (with my method) then 10 minutes in the oven.
    Another 10 minutes after removing from the oven (water or air cooled), you can start loading hulls.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PC3.JPG 
Views:	4 
Size:	27.8 KB 
ID:	321404Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PC1.JPG 
Size:	18.7 KB 
ID:	321405Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PC2.JPG 
Views:	5 
Size:	41.1 KB 
ID:	321406
    Last edited by More_Slugs; 12-27-2023 at 03:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer in NH View Post
    Institutional setting seems to me lazy public employee.

1 1/2 hours to clean 24 barrels. Actually, less I guessed at the 3 minutes mostly 2 would be correct. Let's add the time to powder coat huh? Way more eh?

Give us a break
    Late to the party since I'm a new member, yet you should (if you haven't aleady) apply some due diligence or hands-on experience before belittling someone or a process you aren't familiar with!

So here's why people like me powder coat boolits (I just posted this on the r/castboolits on Reddit [https://www.reddit.com/r/castboolits...ic_powders/]):

Another 10 minutes after removing from the oven (water or air cooled), you can start loading hulls.

If all that isn't a good enough reason, then the issue is you. Not us.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by More_Slugs View Post
    So here's why people like me powder coat boolits (I just posted this on the r/castboolits on Reddit [https://www.reddit.com/r/castboolits...ic_powders/]):

Bad/incomplete link Something went wrong
    Go home
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

Boolit Master
    New member so I'm late, BUT to finally answer your question (after reading all comments):

I PC ALL my slugs to avoid lead fouling in the barrel.

Even if the slugs won't touch it, why risk it.

Here's why (I just posted this on the r/castboolits on Reddit [https://www.reddit.com/r/castboolits...ic_powders/]):

In that link, you can see some 00 buck that I PC'd with 6 different colors from Prismatic Powders (owned by the same company that owns Cerakote).
    Including some that glow-in-the-dark.

I also did some DGS slugs from BPI.

Due to the Cerakote "sister" company, PP has amazing powders and a vast selection of colors. Unlike other companies.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PC3.JPG 
Size:	27.8 KB 
ID:	321404Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PC1.JPG 
Size:	18.7 KB 
ID:	321405Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PC2.JPG 
Views:	5 
Size:	41.1 KB 
ID:	321406
    Well, I pc boolets. Not for any of reasons you have listed! I pc because I want to achieve velocities not normally obtainable with gas check and lubed boolets! I don’t PC anything I reload for a shotgun. But if that’s what blows your skirt up more power to you. No need to knock someone because they don’t or come up with excuses why you do. As for your reasons I don’t particularly see any of them that make a valid point. I mean lead fouling in gas shotguns? If that were an issue I think an awful lot of trap and skeet shooters would be mentioning that and they don’t. And what is the lead exposure while Reloading that you’re referring to? As for bullet lube in shotshell Reloading? And if you cooking your slug salad velocities the causing your leg to vaporize into lead gas or lead smoke as you refer to what you got a bigger problem than you think. As far is color coding your shells and more aesthetically pleasing? I won’t even comment on the color coding but aesthetically pleasing to the best of my knowledge none of the targets that I had with my slugs or buckshot or leg shot, beard game or targets really care as to whether or not the shells that are hitting them or aesthetically pleasing. So like I said if you wanna make glow-in-the-dark bullets and that’s what floats your boat that’s great! But it certainly doesn’t give you the right or privilege to knock somebody because they don’t! do what suits you best! Like you said you’re new to the forum how many belong for a month everybody’s got their own reasons for doing things. Doesn’t make someone right and someone wrong.
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Quote Originally Posted by poppy42 View Post
    Well, I pc boolets. Not for any of reasons you have listed! I pc because I want to achieve velocities not normally obtainable with gas check and lubed boolets! I don’t PC anything I reload for a shotgun. But if that’s what blows your skirt up more power to you. No need to knock someone because they don’t or come up with excuses why you do. As for your reasons I don’t particularly see any of them that make a valid point. I mean lead fouling in gas shotguns? If that were an issue I think an awful lot of trap and skeet shooters would be mentioning that and they don’t. And what is the lead exposure while Reloading that you’re referring to? As for bullet lube in shotshell Reloading? And if you cooking your slug salad velocities the causing your leg to vaporize into lead gas or lead smoke as you refer to what you got a bigger problem than you think. As far is color coding your shells and more aesthetically pleasing? I won’t even comment on the color coding but aesthetically pleasing to the best of my knowledge none of the targets that I had with my slugs or buckshot or leg shot, beard game or targets really care as to whether or not the shells that are hitting them or aesthetically pleasing. So like I said if you wanna make glow-in-the-dark bullets and that’s what floats your boat that’s great! But it certainly doesn’t give you the right or privilege to knock somebody because they don’t! do what suits you best! Like you said you’re new to the forum how many belong for a month everybody’s got their own reasons for doing things. Doesn’t make someone right and someone wrong.
    Nice of you to jump in as Geezer's cheerleader and bodyguard.
    Transfer or project much?

I wasn't knocking anyone's reason for not PC'ing.
    I replied due to Geezer's negative attitude and apparent lack of knowledge on why people might PC.
    You obviously share the same boat.

"Doesn’t make someone right and someone wrong." - hypocritical last sentence after your rant. LOL

Boolit Master
    Nice of you to jump in as Geezer's cheerleader and bodyguard.
    Transfer or project much?

I wasn't knocking anyone's reason for not PC'ing.
    I replied due to Geezer's negative attitude and apparent lack of knowledge on why people might PC.
    You obviously share the same boat.

"Doesn’t make someone right and someone wrong." - hypocritical last sentence after your rant. LOL
    I wasn’t coming to anyone’s defense and it certainly wasn’t meant as a rant trust me if I rant about something you’ll know lol. I was simply making an observation. And honestly I have to admit I’m a little ashamed but I didn’t even read the post that you were quoting. The statement that got my attention was one of the last ones you made in your post. Something about if you don’t understand the reasons for P seeing you the one with the problem or something like that. Noticed there’s no quotation marks around it so I’m not issuing an exact verbatim quote that you made. More generalization. And honestly I found it rather odd that someone that was a member of this forum less than 30 days with 20 posts felt the need to chastise somebody on their Reasons for Pc ing or not PC ing. And no I am not in any boat with anybody as I stated Pc boolets all the time. I just happen to use conventional lube on certain calibers and bullets also. And as I stated my reasons do not coincide with any of the reasons that you stated. Trust me I’m not trying to make this some mine is bigger than yours contest! Like I said if you wanna make glow-in-the-dark multicolored bolts and you appreciate that, fantastic go for it! For me things like that serve no purpose different strokes for different folks what else can I say.
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Quote Originally Posted by poppy42 View Post
    I wasn’t coming to anyone’s defense and it certainly wasn’t meant as a rant trust me if I rant about something you’ll know lol. I was simply making an observation. And honestly I have to admit I’m a little ashamed but I didn’t even read the post that you were quoting. The statement that got my attention was one of the last ones you made in your post. Something about if you don’t understand the reasons for P seeing you the one with the problem or something like that. Noticed there’s no quotation marks around it so I’m not issuing an exact verbatim quote that you made. More generalization. And honestly I found it rather odd that someone that was a member of this forum less than 30 days with 20 posts felt the need to chastise somebody on their Reasons for Pc ing or not PC ing. And no I am not in any boat with anybody as I stated Pc boolets all the time. I just happen to use conventional lube on certain calibers and bullets also. And as I stated my reasons do not coincide with any of the reasons that you stated. Trust me I’m not trying to make this some mine is bigger than yours contest! Like I said if you wanna make glow-in-the-dark multicolored bolts and you appreciate that, fantastic go for it! For me things like that serve no purpose different strokes for different folks what else can I say.
    No shame needed. I understand where you're coming from now.
    We're good Poppy42.
    I live on an 80 acre farm, so I thought it would be fun to try a glow-in-the-dark PC that some have not had success with.
    Sometimes, we just need to step out of our comfort zone and remember to have fun too.

Also, please don't be one of those people that think because someone is a 'new' member, 'older' members are above reproach or are more knowledgeable.
    This was clearly one of those times in regard to Geezer being a 14 year member who came across as having little to no knowledge about PC'ing, so he decided to talk down to someone about having a simple question.

I'm not the type to sit and watch someone 'bully' or belittle someone as they show they have no idea what they're talking about, or because they don't understand the other persons point of view.
    Apparently, you aren't either. LOL And that is cool by me.

More Slugs, thank you for posting, I appreciate it!!!
    NRA Life Member
    Amvets life member