RepackboxLee PrecisionReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
WidenersTitan ReloadingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Just Peach!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    I have never had one ripen, they rot first...
    Don't leave them on the counter, put them in a brown paper bag that is closed. They give off a gas that causes continued ripening, if they don't then add an apple next time.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Smith View Post
    Don't leave them on the counter, put them in a brown paper bag that is closed. They give off a gas that causes continued ripening, if they don't then add an apple next time.
    Tried that... they are picked so under ripe to ship up here they just don't ripen.

Moderator Emeritus

I'm sooo in agreement with MaryB and gwpercle re peach challenges! Our younger son lives near the Pennsylvania border and on occasion we can get ripe peaches when visiting. A couple of weeks back we bought a peck from a Mennonite stand, and wife canned about half; made a cobbler with a quarter; and, we ate the remaining ones. What a treat! BUT -- I'll bet those of you who may pick them, ripe, from the tree get even a better taste experience!
    I recall my first visit to southern California where I chomped my first, from the tree, fresh avocado. I would have sworn it was a different variety than that which we purchase in the north-north-east. No doubt, similar re peaches.
    geo

Boolit Buddy

Somewhere between the Red and the Rio Grande
    Oh my lord ! I do love me some peaches!! When you get that cobbler ready, give me a holler!!!
    Keep your powder dry and watch your six !!

Boolit Master

I would like it if one of you would post a peach ice cream recipe. I'm primed to make a gallon. thanks!
    Mark 5:34 And He said to her (Jesus speaking), "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace and be healed of your affliction."

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by smoked turkey View Post
    I would like it if one of you would post a peach ice cream recipe. I'm primed to make a gallon. thanks!
    Louisiana Fresh Peach Ice Cream
    Yield : 1 gallon

Ingredients:
    2 1/2 pounds tree ripened Ruston , La. peaches - peeled, pitted and cut up .
    1 pint half and half cream
    1/2 cup white sugar - if peaches are not sweet Ruston tree ripened, you can use up to 1 cup sugar to sweeten or if you just prefer your ice cream on the sweet side ... sugar to taste ,
    1 - 14 ounce can Sweetened Condensed Milk
    1 - 12 ounce can Evaporated Milk
    1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
    2 cups Whole Milk - or as needed.

Directions
    Puree peaches with Half and Half and sugar , in batches in a blender or food processor .
    I leave some peaches on the chunky side .

Mix blended peach mixture , Sweetened Condensed Milk, Evaporated Milk , and Vanilla in a Gallon Ice Cream Freezer Container . Pour enough Whole Milk into container to reach the Fill Line ...
    about 2 cups or as needed .

Pour mixture into ice cream maker and freeze according to manufacturer's directions .
    Chilling the container first will help the ice cream freeze faster .
    The sweeter the peaches the better tasting the ice cream will be .

This was the recipe my Mom liked best and we boy's would take turns sitting on the freezer and turning the crank . My Dad was a ice cream Lover and he passed that love of ice cream on to me and my brother . That first electric ice cream freezer was a most welcomed invention !

Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master

thank you for that recipe for peach ice creme. I just made a gallon using three peaches mixed in with my French vanilla recipe. It was good enough, but I'll be giving yours a try. My recipe uses 5(or 6) eggs, and i cook it over low heat. I think your recipe sounds better.
    Mark 5:34 And He said to her (Jesus speaking), "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace and be healed of your affliction."

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by smoked turkey View Post
    thank you for that recipe for peach ice creme. I just made a gallon using three peaches mixed in with my French vanilla recipe. It was good enough, but I'll be giving yours a try. My recipe uses 5(or 6) eggs, and i cook it over low heat. I think your recipe sounds better.
    smoked turkey , You are welcome !
    Honestly the recipe that calls for 5 or 6 eggs and is cooked will be richer and more "custard" ice cream flavor ...richer . And my Mom used to make it with eggs and cook it ...but when she hit on the
    "no egg - no cook" recipe she found it a lot easier and quicker to mix up a batch ... Me , Dad and Brother didn't have a problem with the "new improved no-egg no-cook recipe " we made ice cream more often ergo we got to eat more ice cream ... Win-Win for her & us !!!
    Give it a try ... it's more on the "ice-milk" side of the scale ... but I can eat a larger bowl of it !

I used to like the custard ice cream better but now that I'm older , I prefer the lighter , no egg recipe better .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master

Gary I have been wanting to give you another post and make a comment on your last post. I have been wanting to give the "no cook" recipe a try and I plan to do that and soon I hope. I still have some of the peach ice cream I made the other day. I will probably make a run by Aldi where we grocery shop and see if I can purchase the rest of the stuff I need. We are planning a little vacation and we will be over in North Carolina, VA, and TN as we travel the Blue Ridge Parkway. I hope I can find some good peaches as we travel. A few years ago our church had an ice cream social and I got hold of some bad uncooked eggs and gave me salmonella (spelling ?) and that put the kibosh to our home made ice cream for a while. I am trying to get back in it and I've been making some here and there. I love it and can eat it without issues. I do use 2% milk to some degree, but I will buy whole milk and half & half tomorrow at the store for my next batch. Thanks again.
    Stan

We most of our crop due snow in April.... Had a buddy his apples were in full bloom with 12 inches snow on ground. My apricot tree had 11 apricots.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12