Lee PrecisionRepackboxInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2Load DataWidenersTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: .35 Rem hardness

.35 Rem hardness

Hello all,

What boolit harness would you like to see , in a .35 Remington?
    I use a Marlin 336 (lever) in 35 Rem, for whitetails. I’m using a 200 RN sized to .359 for the microgrooves.
    I’ve always used Remington core-lokt, but scarcity has dictated I make my own. The core-lokt is and extremely soft lead , exposed core, in copper jacket. I get 4 out of 5 core-lokt projectiles back , in full peeled back mushroom form, just on the inside of the opposite hide.
    If I make successful big game boolit, I will end up making 30-30 and .308 win for friends and family.
    I’m toying with the idea of soft as I can, solid or a hard cast hollow , with the thoughts of replicating the core-lokt effects… but the more I think about it, the more I realize I’m asking an Apple to act like an Orange.

Boolit Master

50-50 wheel weight & lead, air cooled, is a pretty popular alloy for hunting bullets.

Not having any wheel weights, do you think 95% lead/ 2 % tin / 3% antimony would be in that range?

Boolit Master
    I cast the most popular RCBS 200 gr FP and runs about 10.4 - 12 BHN on a Lee tester/ 9 -10 on a Cabin tree tester ,about 25 to 1

Banned
    i use RCBS 200gr fn gc in my 35/30-30. i use Lyman #2 and a skosh of tin. i've killed about 3 or 4 deer with it and i have no complaints.

Quote Originally Posted by Krh1326 View Post
    Not having any wheel weights, do you think 95% lead/ 2 % tin / 3% antimony would be in that range?
    96% lead, 2% each tin and antimony gives you about 10.2 bhn, so yes that gets you in the right area. I shoot a similar alloy in my .357 Max Henry single shot rifle. hc18flyer
    Last edited by hc18flyer; 08-04-2022 at 09:24 PM. Reason: Additional info

Boolit Master
    Depend on yardage? I use pure lead and keep it under 1200 fps Will take a whitetail off its feet. The faster you want to push it the harder you will need to go ??

Quote Originally Posted by BLAHUT View Post
    Depend on yardage? I use pure lead and keep it under 1200 fps Will take a whitetail off its feet. The faster you want to push it the harder you will need to go ??
    Good point! I’m in dark groves or thick saplings, I’d venture to say less than 50 yards, prolly most kills about 20-30 yards.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Krh1326 View Post
    I use the 35 Rem in a rebarreled M91 Argentine Mauser. I use a 97/1.5/1.5 alloyed RCBS 35-200-FN AC'd loaded over 4895 for 2150 fps. After loading the bullet is also HP'e 3/16" deep with a Fortser HP tool. I size at .359 and lube with Lars 2400+. Kills deer and pigs quite effectively giving good expansion and penetration. With this softer alloy I clean the barrel after every 8 +/- shots to maintain excellent accuracy.

Suggest you add 1% tin to your alloy then mix it 50/50 with pure lead for the same alloy as I use. Your thoughts on your other thread about drilling out harder alloyed bullets and then filling with lead is probably over thinking the problem. Pouring molten lead into the thin "cast bullet jacketes" would probably melt the "jacket".
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC01825.JPE   DSCA1741.jpg  
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Buddy
    Air cooled 50/50 with bit of tin has been my go to alloy for 35rem, 358, and 348, always work well at 1800-2000fps and while you won't recover many boolits you will see signs of expansion with that mix. I have a Lyman 358315 that I had hollow-pointed and gas check shank remove from, that bullet cast with pure lead and a bit of tin & powder coated kills deer like a hammer at close range, usually going around 1100fps out of a 357 handi rifle. It is quiet, accurate and the performance simply has to be seen to be appreciated, no reason the same load could not be duplicated in your 35 rem for a close range deer hammer.

Good stuff! I thank you all, so much.
    Am honored to get the attention of a legend, too!

Unlike Larry I have not shot a deer with .35 Rem and cast but I have used his recipe with full satisfaction on targets.

I did shoot a deer with a .30'06 / 314-299 (50-50 and a little tin) at 1800 fps and it worked as well as any modern bullet I have used in any caliber.

I will suggest a good jacketed alternative to core lokt in Hawk bullets. I have been very satisfied with them in drillings and other old guns that are limited in pressure and velocity.

Boolit Master

I've killed several deer with a 35 Rem and cast. I shoot coww/tin at about 12bhn with RCBS 200gcfn. I run it 1750-1800 fps with IMR 4198 and size .359. I have a '70's 336 with MG. Was able to shoot 20/1 about the same speed with accuracy but had to use slower powder for reliable accuracy, H335 or IMR 3031 can't remember which, I don't have my notes. I also sized those .359. Mine shoots the core-lockt well too, that's what the former owner used, but I don't think you'll miss it. I don't.

Boolit Master
    I've killed 3 deer using my 35 Remington and cast using some "Range lead" I got off of ebay. While i don't know exactly what the alloy is, my water jug testing gve me confidence that it was suitable for deer. i shot jugs at both 20 yards and about 100 yards and got about the same diameter expansion and 90+% weight retention so was able to justify to myself that I had a bullet that would give humane kills. Real world results have so far agreed with the water jug tests. I've never heard such loud bullet impacts on a game animal as those cast 35's on a deer. The bullet is Accurate 36-200A made to drop a .359 bullet. I cast up another batch with the popular 50/50 Wheel weight/pure lead plust 2% tin. Those shoot great too so will use them when I run out of the range scrap bullets. The great thing is that i get nearly 100 shots with good hunting accuracy. This is in a Marlin 336. Velocity is 2,150 ft/sec. I've used IMR 4320 in the past but since it is no longer available H4895 seems to work about as good.
    Last edited by 35 Rem; 08-11-2022 at 08:12 PM. Reason: Attempted unsucessfully to add photos of bullets from water jugs

Boolit Master
    Best bullet out there is pure lead kept at below 1200 fps

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I use 50/50 COWW and pure lead with 2% pewter added to the total. My load is 40 grains of varget using a group buy HP, PC, and GC.

Here’s my gun, deer, and wound photos…

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...n-HP-group-buy!