Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingLoad DataInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLee Precision
Repackbox Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 10 gauge loads.

Boolit Master

10 gauge loads.

any one have a safe BP. load for a 10 gauge DBL, DASMACUS hammer gun? I am shooting heavy 12 gauge loads in my PARKER.

https://www.shootingtimes.com/editor...loading/361504

Here is a link for some low pressure 10 gauge info, I've had good luck using the Longshot data in 2 7/8'' hulls and roll crimping. Mine is a Remington 1889 hammer gun with fluid steel barrels and I've used that data for 6 shot, 00 & 000 buckshot in 3 different wads. There's a good 10 gauge thread on page 2 of the casting for shotguns section as well.
    Oh great, another thread that makes me spend money.

Boolit Master
    pmer, thanks' for the info, and reply to my question. I don't want to damage the old PARKER, it closes up like the door on a brand new CADALIC. I have ear marked it.

Isn't a standard 10 gauge load 4 drams of powder and 1 1/2 oz shot? And I would use Fg.

Boolit Grand Master

You can stuff all the blackpowder and shot in the shell that will fit, and it still won't reach the pressure levels of "low pressure" smokeless loads. 100gr powder and 1 1/2 or 1 5/8 oz of shot is a very good hunting load.

Boolit Master
    at 78++, I don't' hunt any more, but would like to bust some clay birds with it. I will try the 4 drams of 1FG. real black & 1 1/2 OZ.

Boolit Master
    is the 100 grains of BP, load the same one as the 4 drams load?

1 dram = 27.34 grains

Boolit Grand Master

If all you want to do is bust clays, try 80 gr powder, and 1 1/8 oz of shot. That's a fairly soft shooting load.

Boolit Master
    megasupermagnum, the load that you posted is the one for me. it doesn't beat up the gun and also me! I tried going with 80 grains 3f, APP, substitute powder instead of black, because I wanted to try it & I have had it for 27 yrs, I put the DESECANT in the MICROWAVE for 1 minuet to dry out out, and the powder still performed great. 1 1/8 th. of # 9 lead shot is the shot size that I used. I loaded both paper & plastic hulls. the paper ones burnt through at the juncture where it meets the high brass, the plastic performed fine, loaded then 4 times so far. and yes it does bust clays! thanking you, toot.

Boolit Master
    Nobade, thank you for the conversion. toot.

Boolit Master
    I load a pile of 10 gauge 2 7/8” shells each year for my own use . And while I do not use black I do have safe loads using Red Dot , Unique , Universal Clays and SR7625 . Mostly 1 1/4 ounce loads but also one with Red Dot for 1 1/8 ounce . Also an SR7625 load for 1 1/2 ounces . Bear in mind SR7625 is no longer manufactured .
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

Boolit Master
    FWIW my normal 8 gauge sporting clays load is typically 1 1/2 ounces of shot pushed with Clays . I have a bunch loaded with 1 3/4 ounces of shot and to be honest they’re a little stouter than I want for an 8 gauge .

Boolit Bub
    I have a couple of loads using International Clays and Clays with 1-1/8 ounces and an SP-10 wad but the SP-10 is hard to find now. They are in the low 6K range. Squid

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I use 100 grains of FG and 1 5/8oz of nickel plated lead for my turkey load. It recoils like a 20 gauge. I tried 116 grains of FG but the pattern opened up a little. Mega helped me out with the load. Shot a double bearded gobbler with it the first time out. Did a post on it the spring before last. I believe the old faithful “light load” thst everyone seemed to recommend to me is either 13 or 14 grains of red dot and 1 1/8 oz of shot. I only use it for hunting so I want a good payload and pattern. The left barrel is my hunting barrel and the right is a worthless spreader barrel on my 1973 Charles Daly 10 gauge SxS. I pulled the wrong trigger and missed a bird this year. In the future I won’t load and,or, cock the hammer for the right side when turkey hunting after the “miss”.

Here’s my load and pattern results…

https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=32852

I also found load data on track of the wolf. It has load data showing square loads to 4.5 drams and 1 5/8oz load. I measured four and a half drams of FG and it came out to 116 grains on my scale. I can tell you the recoil from 100 grains to 116 grains was noticeably more. Look half way down the page for the data…

https://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categ...190/1/WAD-09-A

Also a 4 page spread sheet on Parker guns and some more information here…

http://www.tbullock.com/bpsg.html
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 08-11-2022 at 10:09 PM.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Nobade View Post
    Isn't a standard 10 gauge load 4 drams of powder and 1 1/2 oz shot? And I would use Fg.
    As the man says, but I would probably use FFG if available.

Boolit Master
    I too have used 3fg. in brass hulls, when the need arose. no problems. I don't make it a habit. I have also used T-7, TRIPPLE-7, in grade 2fg.

Boolit Master
    I picked up a Parker Grade 2 10 gauge top lever hammer gun at Hausemanns during the Northeastern SxS in June . Gun left the factory with a 32” Damascus barrel which is still with the gun , but in the last twenty or so years the gun was sent to Belgium and had a second 32” fluid steel set of barrels made to fit . They also have 3 1/2” chambers and was sent to Briley for screw ins . So I suppose I’ll try loading up 3 1/2” for a tower shoot in WVA this year . Nothing butt kicking just something to say I gave it a try . And it just so happens I have several hundred new Cheddite hulls and a couple hundred new Remington hulls that have not made the trip to the bandsaw to be cut down to 2 7/8” !

Boolit Master
    lucky U, having that many hulls for it. where di U accumulate that many hulls.? lucky U !! I can't even seem to acquire any plastic ones to cut down to 2 & 7/8,ts. seems that used 10 gauge hulls are as rare as rocking horse poop?! where do they all go?

Are there any low pressure loads out there using Winchester wst or wsf?
    Oh great, another thread that makes me spend money.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast