Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionRepackboxTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersInline FabricationLoad Data
RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mesh Size for 2400

Boolit Master
    Dodge Co. GA. Between the Ocmulgee and Little Ocmulgee rivers.

Mesh Size for 2400

I did something I have never done. I poured 0.2 pounds of Red Dot into a pound of 2400. I feel sick. I have never mixed powders even by accident. The good thing is the kernel size is greatly different. I'm pretty sure if I find the right mesh I can use it to separate the two. What would you recommend?

Sent from my SM-A515U using Tapatalk

US Govt mantra: If it's moving tax it. If it's still moving regulate it. If it stops moving subsidize it

Boolit Buddy

Get a cheeepy collander, woven mesh style should work, thats what I have used to sift blast media ect. I've NEVER had to separate powder, nope, not me, ever, didnt happen, no witnesses either.......

They're far enough apart for me that I'd just lick my wounds and dump it......
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

Boolit Master
    On the bright-side of things, just be happy you didn't dump that into an eight pounder.
    Take a kid to the range, you'll both be glad you did.

Boolit Grand Master

McMaster Carr sells screen in various sizes and in different materials. You might try measuring some granules of 2400 then see what mesh size corresponds. A few granule of 2400 on your finger tip measured with calipers should give a good idea of what you need.

But all powders have fines in them that may not be removed I would be very careful doing this

Boolit Master

When you find the right screen, it will be an easy separation. I did that once on two powders with different kernel structures. In your case with the red dot flake poweder and extruded 2400, it will be easy to separate and you can be sure it is separated by looking. No way would I dump that mixed powder when you can be assured it is separated when completed.

Boolit Master

Heck, a window screen might get you there without having to source a mesh sifter. Have you checked to see if 2400 will pass through a window screen?

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    Not worth the risk in my book. Good luck though.
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

I have a full set of screens and would NOT attempt this, To many fines get though.
    Give me something to believe in. Poison
    Arosmith What it takes
    A 12 step program

Boolit Master
    It's your decision but I personally wouldn't try to salvage it. Top end 2400 loads could be affected negatively by any remaining Red Dot. The reverse is probably not as important (i.e., a little 2400 mixed in with Red Dot). Chalk it up to experience and throw it away.

Boolit Buddy
    Powder is cheap compared to primers right now. Wouldn't chance having inconsistent loads even if safe enough. Waste of primers and lead.

I hear roses like that mix. I wouldn't try to salvage it & I'm cheap.

I'm not sure what the implications might be, but Red Dot is a double base powder, and I think 2400 is single base.

I'm as tight as they come, but I think I come down in the camp that says dump it. jd
    It seems that people who do almost nothing, often complain loudly when it's time to do it.

Corn likes the nitrates, too. Trying to salvage it is too risky.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master

It seems like a really bad idea to me.
    Take your knocks.
    Chalk it up to experience.
    Toss it.

Boolit Master
    I don't see any reason to throw away good propellant so long as it can be separated. I used a sheet os construction paper (for texture) taped to flat cardboard about 24 x 24" . I poured the mixed powder in the middle and spread it thinly, raised one edge a couple inches and tapped the cardbord to get it all to move. The smaller/rounder granules progressed downhill faster than the flake type and they visibly separated very satisfactorily. I did it more than once and each time there was appreciably less of the flakes until there were virtually none. I used both of them after with no irregularities.

Boolit Grand Master

Let us know how this turns out
    The test will be magnum loads with 2400 !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Buddy
    You will not be able to separate the fines from the red dot that can pass through.
    No way I would take the chance.

Boolit Master

Then just discard all the fines from the smaller grained 2400 when you are done separating and there will be no fines to worry about, red dot or 2400.

It is not rocket science, well, kinda, but identify potential problems and eliminate them. If not possible, decide if the problem is too great to continue.

Again, the decision must be made by the person who had the OOPS and is trying to separate the powder.

If that person does not feel comfortable with the process, toss the powder. PERIOD.

Some are ok with a physical separation of the powder, others are not. At this point, this is a beating a dead horse thread.

I suppose you could do what the powder mfgrs do by putting the whole mess in a rock tumbler and blending it for a few hours. Result would be a lot faster than plain old 2400, but. . . . . . . . .

Metal (and grounded) barrel to avoid static sparks.

I'm still for dumping it on the garden, however.
    Cognitive Dissident

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast