WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionRepackbox

Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Lbt .358-180-fn

  1. #1
    Boolit Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,019

    Lbt .358-180-fn

    Anyone have experience using the LBT .358-180-FN plain base in the .357 Magnum? I've had this mould for about thirty years or longer, but haven't used it in a long time. I'm going to cast a few bullets and give them a try soon using #2400 powder. As I recall, this bullet shot reasonably well in the .357, though I never could get any accuracy with it in .38 Special.

  2. #2
    Boolit Buddy Pereira's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    "central" West TN
    Posts
    209
    No experience with that mold, but I shoot MB's 180gr pugnose with 11.4 grs of 2400 in my Rossi M92, and colt King Cobra.
    Very well I might say.

    RP

    If you don't have a C&R FFL, you really need to consider getting one------it's a license to spend money, though.
    Quote by a member of another forum.

  3. #3
    Boolit Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,019
    Quote Originally Posted by Pereira View Post
    No experience with that mold, but I shoot MB's 180gr pugnose with 11.4 grs of 2400 in my Rossi M92, and colt King Cobra.
    Very well I might say.

    RP
    What's MB?

  4. #4
    Boolit Master
    dannyd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    943
    Missouri Bullets

  5. #5
    Boolit Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,019
    Thank you; I'm far from knowledgeable regarding commercial cast bullets.

  6. #6
    Boolit Master
    dannyd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    943
    They are a great company and if I didn't like casting more than anything else; I would buy all my bullets from them. I use the NOE version of that bullet and it shoots great out of my rifles.

  7. #7
    Boolit Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Prineville, Oregon
    Posts
    512
    That LBT boolit with a stiff charge of H110 has been my main load in the Ruger gp100 for close to 30 years now. Good 'un.

  8. #8
    This may be an apples v oranges comparison, but I recently loaded some Hunter 190 grain flatnose bullets, essentially the same profile as the subject MO bullet, and achieved excellent accuracy with 4.5 grains of Red Dot--an admittedly mild load and arguably not the best powder choice for .357, but which suited my purpose.

    I add my positive comments about dealing with Missouri Bullets.

  9. #9
    Boolit Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,019
    The comments are appreciated. Apparently, the original LBT version is not very popular. However, the others mentioned may shoot just as well. My original .357 load with the LBT design was 12 grs. #2400, for a muzzle velocity of around 1100 fps or thereabouts from a 6" barrel.

  10. #10
    Moderator Emeritus


    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    SW Montana
    Posts
    11,868
    Veral designed his bullets to be pushed fast. I am not sure a medium speed 38 special would stabilize it.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

  11. #11
    Boolit Master Jack Stanley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    Posts
    3,998
    I use that bullet in the magnum and in .38 . It works well going fast or slow for me .

    Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

    Black Rifles Matter

  12. #12
    Boolit Master hc18flyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    NE Nebraska
    Posts
    912
    I have the NOE version for my .357 Maximum rifle. I have yet to take a whitetail with it, too many other choices, not enough chances to shoot! I really like the looks of the LBT designs. hc18flyer

  13. #13
    Boolit Grand Master

    gwpercle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Baton Rouge, Louisiana
    Posts
    8,323
    Quote Originally Posted by lotech View Post
    Anyone have experience using the LBT .358-180-FN plain base in the .357 Magnum? I've had this mould for about thirty years or longer, but haven't used it in a long time. I'm going to cast a few bullets and give them a try soon using #2400 powder. As I recall, this bullet shot reasonably well in the .357, though I never could get any accuracy with it in .38 Special.
    I don't like to rush into projects either ... but , 30 years ... that's not rushing .

    The boolit works a lot better in rifles than handguns . In my 357 magnum Ruger Blackhawk I could never get the accuracy I wanted ... In the RBH at least the 180 gr. boolit just doesn't want to completely stabilize . A 357 Magnum Rifle might be a whole different story .
    For 38 special/ 357 magnum and 2" , 4" and 6 1/2" barrels ... I believe 170 and 160 grain boolits are as heavy as my revolvers like to accurately shoot ... my favorite wieght is a 160 gr. , seems to give the best accuracy ,
    I tried the 180 gr. boolit but not exhaustively ... it may be able to work ,,,I just don't know the secrete !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

  14. #14
    Boolit Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,019
    Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    I don't like to rush into projects either ... but , 30 years ... that's not rushing .

    The boolit works a lot better in rifles than handguns . In my 357 magnum Ruger Blackhawk I could never get the accuracy I wanted ... In the RBH at least the 180 gr. boolit just doesn't want to completely stabilize . A 357 Magnum Rifle might be a whole different story .
    For 38 special/ 357 magnum and 2" , 4" and 6 1/2" barrels ... I believe 170 and 160 grain boolits are as heavy as my revolvers like to accurately shoot ... my favorite wieght is a 160 gr. , seems to give the best accuracy ,
    I tried the 180 gr. boolit but not exhaustively ... it may be able to work ,,,I just don't know the secrete !
    Gary
    I've used the LBT .358-180-FN mould a good bit, but it was a long time ago. My favorite bullet for .38 Special or .357 is also one of about 160 grains. I've used mostly the H&G #51 SWC design for many years and it works well. Just thought I'd try the LBT again, even if it's a little heavy. Another LBT design that might be ideal and of a better weight for the .38 or .357 is the .358-160-FN, but I've not tried that one.

  15. #15
    Boolit Master Maven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    4,857
    lotech, I used to own that mould and had little trouble hitting clay birds on our 100 yd. berm with my Ruger BH (4.5" bbl., open sights, butt rested in rear rifle bag). I sized them to .359" and used between 10.0 & 10.5gr. WC 820 (AA #9) and standard SP primers. Hope this helps you and others.

  16. #16
    Boolit Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,019
    Quote Originally Posted by Maven View Post
    lotech, I used to own that mould and had little trouble hitting clay birds on our 100 yd. berm with my Ruger BH (4.5" bbl., open sights, butt rested in rear rifle bag). I sized them to .359" and used between 10.0 & 10.5gr. WC 820 (AA #9) and standard SP primers. Hope this helps you and others.
    Just got back from the range; fired a few rounds of the .358-180-FN loaded with 12 and 12.5 grs. #2400 in a 6" Model 27 and a 4" Model 28. Shot well, but I'll need to do a comparison with the H&G #51 and #2400. I used a slightly softer bullet today, about 10 BHN instead of the usual 13-14 BHN. No leading, so I guess I've been using a bullet harder than necessary all these years.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Abbreviations used in Reloading

BP Bronze Point IMR Improved Military Rifle PTD Pointed
BR Bench Rest M Magnum RN Round Nose
BT Boat Tail PL Power-Lokt SP Soft Point
C Compressed Charge PR Primer SPCL Soft Point "Core-Lokt"
HP Hollow Point PSPCL Pointed Soft Point "Core Lokt" C.O.L. Cartridge Overall Length
PSP Pointed Soft Point Spz Spitzer Point SBT Spitzer Boat Tail
LRN Lead Round Nose LWC Lead Wad Cutter LSWC Lead Semi Wad Cutter
GC Gas Check