Inline FabricationReloading EverythingWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Repackbox Load Data

Thread: Girsan Regard, Beretta "G" Safety Mod!

Boolit Master

Girsan Regard, Beretta "G" Safety Mod!

Hi,
    Just put in a Beretta "G" Safety, on my Girsan Regard...

I would like to use it as a truck gun, and did not trust it with the regular safety.

The "G" Safety is a "Decock Only", so if you knock the safety off changing mags in the heat of the moment...

It will spring back into the fire position, ready to go.

Parts went into the Girsan no problem and seems to work perfectly.

Just thought some might be interested?

Oh yea, be advised, you will need a VERY small Roll Pin Punch, to get the 2 pins out of the OEM right side safety lever!

https://lonestarstatefirearms.com/be...install-it-hd/
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails b1.jpg   b2.jpg   b3.jpg   b4.jpg  
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace.
    We ask not your counsels or arms.
    Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you.
    May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams
    Janet Reno, killed more children at Waco, with Bill Clinton's permission, than Adam Lanza killed, at Sandy Hook.

Is the Girsan Regard a complete Beretta 92 clone, meaning that it would be 100% parts compatible with Beretta OEM bits and bobs? I have a 92FS myself, but I'm OK with my safety being both decocker and safety. I'm not really sure what would be the legit reason for not trusting its safety from out of the factory.

So, what exactly does this modification do? From my awareness of the 92's safety, even if you were to make this 92 clone "decock" only, the fact that the firing pin channel rotates already makes it a method of making it safe. Does this modification prevent the firing pin channel from rotating?

Either way, it's interesting seeing what people are doing to the types of firearms that aren't usually being modified.

Boolit Master
    Hi,
    I think what happens is the safety is put on, accidently, when people go and drop or rack the slide after a mag change.

Then the pistol will not fire, till the slide mounted safety is pushed off again...

NOT, a good thing in a SD situation!

The only difference is the barrel block and the angle cut in the slide.

ALL other parts are suppose to work just like a Beretta.
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace.
    May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams
    Janet Reno, killed more children at Waco, with Bill Clinton's permission, than Adam Lanza killed, at Sandy Hook.

Quote Originally Posted by seagiant View Post
    Hi,
    I think what happens is the safety is put on, accidently, when people go and drop or rack the slide after a mag change.

Then the pistol will not fire, till the slide mounted safety is pushed off again...

NOT, a good thing in a SD situation!

The only difference is the barrel block and the angle cut in the slide.

ALL other parts are suppose to work just like a Beretta.
    I leave my 92 cocked, but not locked. Considering that it spends all of its time in the holster with both sides of the trigger guard protected. That's protection enough for the double action trigger.

Also, when I rack the slide of my 92, I basically grasp the slide at the safety lever, pushing it upward with my fingers as I pull it back.

Could an alternative option for your truck Girsan be to leave it on fire without a round in the chamber, leaving you only to need to cycle it to make it ready for use? I hope you have some sort of holder or holster in your vehicle to prevent issues from occurring in the future.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by VariableRecall View Post
    I leave my 92 cocked, but not locked. Considering that it spends all of its time in the holster with both sides of the trigger guard protected. That's protection enough for the double action trigger.

Also, when I rack the slide of my 92, I basically grasp the slide at the safety lever, pushing it upward with my fingers as I pull it back.

Could an alternative option for your truck Girsan be to leave it on fire without a round in the chamber, leaving you only to need to cycle it to make it ready for use? I hope you have some sort of holder or holster in your vehicle to prevent issues from occurring in the future.
    Monumentally bad idea there. What you are doing is a cocked single action pull of the trigger away from an unintended firing of your pistol.

The problem comes with racking the slide by gasping it over the top with your thumb to the rear. This almost always results in putting the stock Beretta safety into the safe position. It is also the way generations of shooters learned on a 1911.

If I were to carry a Beretta design as my daily weapon of choice (its not, for other reasons) I would look very hard at the G model safety. The worst it will do is give you a double action trigger, not "Oh no, my gun is broke with rounds coming this way" feeling.

Robert

Quote Originally Posted by Mk42gunner View Post
    Monumentally bad idea there. What you are doing is a cocked single action pull of the trigger away from an unintended firing of your pistol.

The problem comes with racking the slide by gasping it over the top with your thumb to the rear. This almost always results in putting the stock Beretta safety into the safe position. It is also the way generations of shooters learned on a 1911.

If I were to carry a Beretta design as my daily weapon of choice (its not, for other reasons) I would look very hard at the G model safety. The worst it will do is give you a double action trigger, not "Oh no, my gun is broke with rounds coming this way" feeling.

Robert
    Personally, the majority of CC'd handguns these days have single action striker, so it's no different than having a Glock that's securely holstered on your body. Truth is, I could just stick the safety on if I'm feeling like it, I could just do that. It's really a matter of preference, and I like how the 92 gives me both options.
    Plus, I carry with a round in the chamber, because if such a thing is needed, it better be as ready as it can be, and I can rely on the firing pin block acting as a drop safety until my finger is on the trigger.

I am a youngin started my firearms journey on a double action revolver and had more than 1911's available for semi-auto handguns. I'm used to having a deliberate trigger pull being the only thing between me and getting a projectile downrange.

With how I grab the slide, It would likely appear to you that I am pulling the slide back with my left hand upside down. My left thumb would be on the left side of the slide, and my pointer finger on the right. I kind of jam my fingers into the space where the safety lies and pull back.
    Give it a try if you would like! maybe my method would relieve your safety woes?
    If you want, I could try and post a photo demonstrating my method.

Boolit Master

I'll go ahead and post how I grab the slide. I think this may help visualize how I grab it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FunnyGrab1.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	20.6 KB 
ID:	302918

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FunnyGrab2.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	30.3 KB 
ID:	302919

To be frank, If you're changing magazines, the slide release is the way to go, but if I want to eject a round, or bring it to the slide stop, this is how I grab it.
    It sure looks funky, but it works well for me.

Seems like a solution waiting for a problem.

Boolit Master
    Hi,
    You guys are not factoring in, anything and everything can go out the window when the REAL SHTF!

Pulling the slide back after a mag change and not noticing you put the pistol on safe and the gun does not fire when you need it to...

CAN GET YOU KILLED!

I don't understand why that can't be understood???

Hi,
    You guys are not factoring in, anything and everything can go out the window when the REAL SHTF!

Pulling the slide back after a mag change and not noticing you put the pistol on safe and the gun does not fire when you need it to...

CAN GET YOU KILLED!

I don't understand why that can't be understood???
    I hope I'm not sounding argumentative, but the 92 has a generously sized slide release that's easy to operate with your offhand. Plus, I've practiced my method of grabbing the slide so it becomes my natural instinct when presented with it in my hand. My fingers resting in an upward position, it's putting tension on the safety, pulling it upward so that there's no chance of shifting.

Also, if you're so worried about your Girsan not being ready for immediate use in a life or death situation, why not just get one of the huge variety of "safety-less" striker fired handguns? No safety to snag on or fumble, and the slide release is a nice alternative. There's plenty out there that are competitively priced, and if you're squeamish, there are some available with optional safeties.

I'd say practice is the most important factor in all of this. Familiarity in your platform can keep you doing what you want to do even in adverse conditions.

Boolit Master

Thank you for the video! Nice and concise explanation!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by VariableRecall View Post
    Thank you for the video! Nice and concise explanation!
    Hi,
    Yep, if anyone wants to use the Beretta Type 92 for Self Defense...

The usual OEM Safety (non "G") can get you in trouble, in the heat of the moment...

No matter how hard you train.

Murphy is alive and well under stressful situations, and a "built in" Handicap, ain't good!

Hi,
    Yep, if anyone wants to use the Beretta Type 92 for Self Defense...

The usual OEM Safety (non "G") can get you in trouble, in the heat of the moment...

No matter how hard you train.

Murphy is alive and well under stressful situations, and a "built in" Handicap, ain't good!
    Part of me is thinking that Wilson combat just wants to create more customers by catering to a more older school of tacticool. I think I'll leave my own opinion on that matter as my own.
    In my experience and practice, I've never had the safety switch accidentally on my own. Maybe the Girsan's a little more sensitive, but I'm keeping my safety OEM no matter what the "experts" say.

Boolit Master
    Hi,
    I could care less about Bill Wilson or any other expert really...

When you rack the slide your hand naturally moves back till it hits the slide mounted safety.

While pulling the slide back you CAN (very possible!)...

Push down the safety levers, now your pistol that you have reloaded (mag change) is on safe and you don't even know it???

Now you have seconds to shoot the threat before it shoots you and the trigger does not work because it is on SAFE!

Now you are dead!

Good luck out there!

I'm done!