Load DataTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionWideners
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRepackbox
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2

Thread: thinking of a new Miroku/Winchester .38-55

Boolit Master

thinking of a new Miroku/Winchester .38-55

I'm thinking of a new Miroku/Winchester 1894 in .38-55 Anyone have one of these? If so I wouldn't mind some info. The local gun store brought a couple of these in.

Do they use the long or short brass? What's the typical groove diameter on these? I'm guessing they'll be around 0.376"?

thanks,

Chris.
    Last edited by Gunlaker; 08-01-2022 at 02:57 PM.

. I like my Miroku’s and John Browning would approve of the subtle changes except maybe some of the safeties .

I went with a Winchester Crazy Horse. Pre-safety no lawyer crap, full length barrel, half cock. and a tack driver. and it looks cool too

Boolit Buddy

Chris:

I have a 24" "Sporter" Miroku 38-55 and while I haven't slugged the barrel, I can say that .379" and .380" boolits produce ORH accuracy with 11.8 gr of Unique at 50 yds, and will bust claybirds standing on edge on the 100 yd berm, 10 for 10 offhand, if I do my part.
    I was forced into .380" boolits and short Starline cases because of the rifling in two Marlin Cowboy 38-55s, in which the .380 boolits and charge of Unique will deliver the same accuracy. .378", not so much. .379" boolits are borderline, but 265 gr .380" Moyer Cast boolits are the ticket in the Marlins, and shoot just as well in the Miroku Sporter.

Noah

The 1894 Action will most likely require the short brass. My experience is limited to a Winchester Commemorative that I gave up on (long story) and my Uberti 1894 Deluxe . I have three Miroku made rifles and their work is stellar. I however love my Uberti. The attached image is 9 shots at 100 yards. Starline 2.085 Brass, CCI#350 Primers, 7.5gr Trailboss and 250gr Accurate 38-245D cast from 20-1 alloy, White Label Lubes 50/50. The bullet in the image is just for size reference, it is Accurate 38-285B. This is the same bullet as the -245D but one lube groove and driving band longer. I use it and H4895 for the 200 meter rams.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100 Yards 9 Shots.jpg  

Boolit Master
    Thanks everyone!

Chris.

What is ORH accuracy? God I hate these letter abbreviations, what happened to words?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by veeman View Post
    I went with a Winchester Crazy Horse. Pre-safety no lawyer crap, full length barrel, half cock. and a tack driver. and it looks cool too
    I got the Oliver F Winchester - similar specs to yours - like the look of the silver ones better but been told that blackpowder plays havoc with the finish - mine takes it alright.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by gc45 View Post
    What is ORH accuracy? God I hate these letter abbreviations, what happened to words?
    Apologies. One Ragged Hole.

Noah

A friend with whom I shoot lever action matches on a regular basis has a brand new Japchester complete with tang safety and rebounding hammer. In a 46 round match in mid July, he had 10 or 12 failure to fire incidents. I have shot the fellow's loads in my 1893 Marlin with no failure. The rifle is pretty but pretty useless as a gun.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Boolit Master
    I've heard of people having troubles with the rebounding hammers, but I can't imagine it's a common problem. I've owned 5 or 6 Miroku Winchesters ( a few 1886's, an 1894, and an 1892 ) and haven't had any problems with them. I would way rather have them be built the same as the originals though.

Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunlaker View Post
    I've heard of people having troubles with the rebounding hammers.......

Chris.
    The problem I had with my Miroku 1886 was the 12lb trigger pull. I purchased Browning trigger group parts and firing pin. Converted the rifle and reduced the trigger pull by 10 pounds. I found it difficult to believe that a company would manufacture and sell a rifle with that heavy a trigger.

Boolit Master
    Wow that's terrible. None of mine had triggers that heavy, but they were all a fair bit heavier than I'd like. For a lever gun I like 3 lbs, 4 max.

Chris.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunlaker View Post
    I've heard of people having troubles with the rebounding hammers, but I can't imagine it's a common problem. I've owned 5 or 6 Miroku Winchesters ( a few 1886's, an 1894, and an 1892 ) and haven't had any problems with them. I would way rather have them be built the same as the originals though.

Chris.
    I had fail to fire problem with my japanese browning model 71 - inertia firing pin messed up - converted to solid - - -
    Why do these replica makers mess up trying to appease lawyers? Chiappa and Rossi manage to get true built replicas into the US market ok . Solid firing pin, half cock notch safety, flat mainspring, there are hundred year old winchesters out there never missed beat ..............................

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    I would love to have a 94.38-55 to go with my .30-30s. That being said I think the Henry is a much better value.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.