Load DataReloading EverythingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
WidenersRepackboxInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ordered a Traditions .32 Crockett Kit

Boolit Grand Master
    36g is right on with the suggestion of Fiebings shoe/leather polish. Great stuff for coloring stocks. Do various experiments to arrive at your desired color. There is also a product made by ? Min-Wax ? (possibly) that is a pre-stain. Follow the instructions and it does a better job, especially on those woods with weird / hard grain / difficult woods to take on a color.

Boolit Buddy
    Yes, I remember using that pre stain on pine molding. It did help. I have several milsurps that need staining to. I will order the brown and dark brown to see what I can do.

Boolit Master
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOr...P9UpH8qtWx_ppw

If I were looking for the technical do's and don'ts in assembly? This young feller (link above) has built a few kits on video. Easy to watch tips and techniques. Or__ there are a good amount of qualified builders here on this site you could contact for their assembly expertise. Such a rifle (32) given too Grandson via Grandpa. "Surely would be a life long cherished treasure.

Boolit Buddy
    Track of the Wolf has everything I will need. They even have a 6 cavity .32 Maxi Ball mold. How neat is that! I wonder how they shoot. I must admit I'm a metal worker. Not a carpenter. My muzzleloaders are well used from hunting so I want this .32 kind of plain like the rest of my stuff. My grandson can spice it up whenever he wants to.

Boolit Buddy
    ToW is a great supplier. I've stopped in their shop a couple of times and they've always been helpful and friendly.

I've also preferred the more basic looks and really like browned metal over blued. I've changed out the brass fittings on some builds for steel just for a more period look. ToW is great for those parts too.

Boolit Master
    I shot 32Maxi's in a rifle that I had years back.
    They shot really good , and will work well for small game like rabbits ,racoons and maybe other mid sized critters.
    The balls worked well for squirrels and cottontails.
    They seem to load faster.
    But on larger critters , you don't need to be that fast on a second shot.

Boolit Master

I got the TOW .32 Maxi mold for my .32 Crockett and am happy. It is so easy to load and shoot.

Boolit Bub
    I have been thinking about one of these for a while, I just wish they offered a Kentucky style rifle in 32

Boolit Master
    Pedersolli does offer the Kentucky or even Pennsylvania rifles in .32 cal.
    They cost a little more than the Traditions Kits.
    But they are well worth it.

Boolit Buddy
    Just received the Crockett. The wood looks like plain maple and the kit as a whole shouldn’t be too hard to assemble. The barrel is smooth and polished. Has anyone removed the large safety warning billboard etched in the barrel?

Boolit Master
    All that stamping on the barrel can be removed by draw filing.
    I don't know if it will effect any Warrenties.
    But it is your rifle.

Boolit Master
    If the dovetails are not already cut, you might be able to flip the barrel over and put the safety warning against the stock.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks, a filing I will do. The barrel is super polished like glass. Not sure I can match it after filing tho. The dovetails are already cut in. I will try to brown the steel parts and dull the brass parts. Try to make that stock look older too.

Quote Originally Posted by FabMan View Post
    Thanks, a filing I will do. The barrel is super polished like glass. Not sure I can match it after filing tho. The dovetails are already cut in. I will try to brown the steel parts and dull the brass parts. Try to make that stock look older too.
    After draw filing start out with about 150 grit sandpaper and keep progressing to finer grades. If you're planning to brown or slow rust blue it you need to stop at about 400 grit anyway. Anything finer and the solution will tend to bead up instead of going on evenly and through the treatment process any finer sanding will make no visible appearance in the final finish, anyway.
    Cold/chemical bluing or hot caustic bluing is where you want a highly polished surface before beginning the finish treatment.

The Crockett is basically a screw driver kit. It's build can be as simple or complicated as you prefer. I've built two and did simple stain under clear coats of Tru-Oil. With one, the hammer didn't properly align with the nipple and required heating with a propane torch and bending. A fun gun at best.

The .45-70 is the only government I trust.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12