Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Load DataRepackbox
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ordered a Traditions .32 Crockett Kit

Boolit Buddy

Ordered a Traditions .32 Crockett Kit

Looking for advice on finishing the kit. I'm not sure how much metal and wood work there is on these but I want a traditional oil finish, not sure on the metal finish. Also any advice on a different ramrod. I saw some threads on loads and shooting it. Also issues with the hammer not lining up. I have a Lee .311 mold and I read it needs a thinner patch material. The last kit I did was a TC Hawkins over 40 years ago as a kid, lots of metal filing and wood work. I'm going to gift this to my grandson in a few years. Thanks for your input!

Boolit Master
    Hello.
    I built a Crockett Rifle for my wife last year.
    We took it out two weeks ago and shot it for the first time.
    I have not ordered a mold for it yet.
    But it shot .310 patched balls very well.
    I did the finish on hers in a Walnut stain and topped with Tru Oil.
    The stain is not totally Dark.
    It is more like stained then lightly sanded before the finish was applied so it kind of brought out what wood grain there was.
    I can't post pictures on the site.
    But I can send you pictures if you PM me a contact number.
    I too also made a 5/16" Wood ramrod for hers since I didn't like the metal one that came with the rifle.
    I also did several things to Upgrade the rifles looks , like changing the Ramrod Thimbles to Brass and added a patch box to the stock with Dragonfly castings added because that is one of her favorite emblems.
    You can finish the stock in Linseed oil if you desire a more Oil style finish even if you stain the stock for the color you desire.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks LAGS, I sent a PM. How much metal and wood work is involved in this project?

Boolit Master

I have one that came finished so I am no help on the finishing advice but I can tell you that it will be a lot of fun to shoot. They are great for reducing the squirrel population.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Master
    There wasn't much wood that had to be removed.
    The wood to metal fit was good.
    I truly consider this a Level 1 kit that can be assembled by anyone.
    But it is so basic.
    You can easily upgrade the kit to your liking like I did.
    Well , not My liking , but more to my wife's liking.
    She likes Sparkling things.

I bought my Crockett from the LGS years ago, so didn't have to assemble it. Accuracy is phenomenal, function was perfect and it took lots of small game. The hammer is often just a tad "wiggly" but hit the cap perfectly. I made a rod out of a fiberglass rod. I cut it to fit, put a brass ferrule on one end to be able to screw in scrapers, ball pullers, etc. On the other end I added a very small knob for easy pulling/pushing. I used this rod in the field and put the factory rod back in after cleaning.

The load I used was a .311" ball from a Lee mold, mattress ticking patch with Hoppes BP Lube over 30 grains of 3F. It cleanly took squirrels without anymore damage than a .22LR. Hits should be the head/neck area or the middle of the body. Best not to shoot the shoulders or hind quarters. That load gave sub 1" groups at 45 yards. I can't think of anything negative to say about them. Also I found 20 grns of 3F worked as well as the 30 grn load.

Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for the replies. I like the dark walnut color.
    My muzzle loaders are all .50 cal. This small bore will take a lot of different tools to load, clean it.
    My local shops don’t have anything for .32 so I will have to order them online. Would a hardwood dowel work for a ramrod? I have #10 caps but no 11’s. Glad to hear it has potential to take squirrels!

Boolit Master
    I made the ramrod out of a 5/16" Oak dowel that I got at Home Depot.
    I had to use steam to straighten it out a bit.
    But it works great.
    T o W has them too.
    I ordered the ramrod ends from Track of the Wolf.
    And I use mops for .32 rifles or 8mm cleaning mops and brushes.
    But T o W has the .32 tips jags and other ramrod accessories.
    I also ordered the lead balls and some Minnie's from them to try out before I order my mold from Lee.
    I also have Buckshot molds for my Blunderbuss and shotguns that certain sizes will cast what I need.

Boolit Buddy
    I put together a Traditions Hawkens this spring. Wood to metal fit was close but benefited from some finish filing before sanding the stock. I used leather dye to stain and then boiled linseed oil. Metal was rust browned using ToW Aqua Fortis. I preferred non shiny brass so antiqued it. Suggest to fit all metal pieces to stock first then do stock and metal finishing. I replaced the ramrod with a hickory one from ToW.

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...t=hawken+rifle

Boolit Buddy
    Is the alcohol based leather dye better than oil based? I heard it stains birch better. I hope this kit has a walnut stock, it just states hardwood.

Quote Originally Posted by FabMan View Post
    Is the alcohol based leather dye better than oil based? I heard it stains birch better. I hope this kit has a walnut stock, it just states hardwood.
    If you are interested in walnut check into a Pendersoli kit. I'm building one myself now and it came with a nice walnut stock.

Boolit Master
    The Crockett Kit is a light colored wood.
    It looks like plain Maple , but it could be Beachwood.
    I have done several Traditions Kits.
    They all came with lighter wood that is Hardwood.
    Just not Walnut.
    That is one of the reasons the kits are cheaper to buy.
    But as far as functionality , they are easy to build and durable.

Boolit Master
    I owned .45 and a .54 ML's in the past but always wanted a .40 because most of the antique plains rifles I've seen from Texas are .40 to .42. Although buffalo were here in the early days, most anything else that lived in the state could have been taken with smaller calibers. Any bears would have all been small and probably no elk or large deer.

.32 would be a fun size - light and cheap to shoot.

Boolit Buddy
    For me, the alcohol based dye works well. It seems to penetrate the wood very well and dries quickly. I've used it on multiple stocks over the years and have been well pleased - that plus I have used it for leather work for a few decades and am comfortable with it. I'm leaning toward the Traditions stock being maple, definitely light colored. I wanted some color variegation hence the flaming first.

Boolit Buddy
    Would this be a dark brown leather stain and do you prefer a brand? Walnut stains easy. I have had trouble with oil stains on maple and other hardwoods. Would not cover evenly. I have seen maple stocks with strips that look nice. I am looking for a darker color tho.

Boolit Buddy
    Would this be a dark brown leather stain and do you prefer a brand? Walnut stains easy. I have had trouble with oil stains on maple and other hardwoods. Would not cover evenly. I have seen maple stocks with strips that look nice. I am looking for a darker color tho.
    I'm partial to Fiebings. I'd suggest getting a bottle of medium brown and a bottle of dark brown. Test each in the barrel channel to see if you like one better than the other. If so desired they can be mixed to yield shades between the light and dark pure versions. I've not had any problems with streaking. If need be just add a second coat to even out any stripes. If testing in the barrel channel don't forget to add the finish coat (linseed/tung oil or whatever) also as they will tend to darken the color a bit also. If you want distinct stripes in the wood, do some flaming with a propane torch to your hearts desire.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks,
    Long ago I tried dark brown Kiwi shoe stain on I think a beech Garand stock. It did better than the minwax dark walnut oil stain. It was a bottle with a sponge applicator on it. I will try Fiebings.

Boolit Master
    Well guys,
    I am back on the Traditions Kit building mode.
    A friend died recently.
    Today his wife gave me a Traditions Kentucky Rifle Kit that her husband never got a chance to build.
    I told her I want to build it in memory of a late friend.
    And do things to it that perpetuate his memory.
    Like do brass inlays or possible carvings.
    I wanted to build it for their grandkids.
    But she said, their mom does not want them to have guns.

Quote Originally Posted by LAGS View Post
    Well guys,
    I am back on the Traditions Kit building mode.
    A friend died recently.
    Today his wife gave me a Traditions Kentucky Rifle Kit that her husband never got a chance to build.
    I told her I want to build it in memory of a late friend.
    And do things to it that perpetuate his memory.
    Like do brass inlays or possible carvings.
    I wanted to build it for their grandkids.
    But she said, their mom does not want them to have guns.
    That's a shame but unfortunately not uncommon.

Boolit Buddy
    Just for comparison purposes, here is what I believe to be a period Crockett type of rifle. Lock is marked JOSEPHGOLCHER and it has a 38" .36 barrel. Picked up at an antique mall in Bozeman, MT.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pa's Rifle, Resized.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	43.6 KB 
ID:	302885

Name:	Pa's Rifle Lock Resized.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	155.7 KB 
ID:	302886

Name:	Pa's Rifle Lock2 Resized.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	148.4 KB 
ID:	302887
    Last edited by 36g; 08-04-2022 at 04:20 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast