RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingLee Precision
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRepackbox
Wideners Snyders Jerky

Thread: HO Insurance Personal Property Coverage?

Boolit Master

HO Insurance Personal Property Coverage?

We have some personal property stored in a small rental storage unit.
    The new owners of the storage facility requires either:

1). We purchase an insurance policy from them for the items we have stored there
    ———OR———
    2). Our Home Owner’s declaration page must show we have coverage for
    Other Structures

Our HO policy does have coverage for Personnel Property. I assumed that the stored property was covered under that description, just as the Animal Liability coverage we also have should apply wherever our animal is if / when it does something we would be liable for.

Does anyone have factual knowledge if property, not in our home, is covered under the Personal Property part of a HO policy?

Boolit Master

In Florida that gets a little hazy because of our insurance laws.

The other structures decorations; the way it was explained to me "meaning on the same property" Storage sheds, barns and stand alone garages.

I had property down south just some vacant lots and was told as long as nothing was built on the property my homeowners would covered the lots for liability. I ended up getting separate insurance policy for the lots because no one could give a completely straight answer.

Try talking to your insurance agent they maybe able to shed some light on this.

Separate ins for storage stuff. USAA adds the other building thing here but it is needed to cover wood fences (city required) and storage shed. Mine is plastic, 30yrs old and cost 100$. But the fence was way more $. Ins won't cover fence in case of fire unless 'other' is added. Interesting, DFW requires non-wood roof due to cost of fires. As of 10yrs ago, folks house in Ks required wood shingle roof.
    Whatever!

I have a unit in MS and when I rented it several years ago, I had to present the same. I submitted my Arkansas home owner's policy which shows other buildings coverage and it was sufficient for the renting company. I'd try your policy and see if they accept.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Check with your home insurance agent. They will tell you for certain what is covered.
    Storage rental units require that you have insurance in case you damage their property when your property self destructs. Folks do store full gas cans, and gas cylinders in these units. A leaking acetylene valve can cause a great deal of damage.
    Go now and pour yourself a hot one...

Boolit Master

Coverage is different in different states. Most polices do have limited coverage. It is referred to as off-premises coverage. Should be in the Declarations section of the policy.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Master

We excluded ‘other structures’ coverage on our HO policy as our pool enclosure is covered and we don’t have any other structures.
    Our insurance company representative said our property in the storage unit is covered as long as it’s personal as opposed to business property. The policy documents detail this on page 54 of the package. I have the documents printed and am waiting for a call from the company that purchased the facility we use.
    They of course are willing to sell us a Property Protection Policy. There are laws (I don’t pretend to know the full scope of) that regulate how many policies you can have on the same property. I don’t know their insistence on an ‘Other Structures’ or the policy they sell has anything to do with protecting the storage unit building from damage caused by renters. The Other Structures addendums I have seen are typically limited to 10% m/l of the HO Policy covered Property value. Besides which, I don’t know that a person can insure a structure they don’t own.
    My irritation is primarily due to these idiots waiting until 4:00 pm on Sunday the 31st of July to email a notice they were the new owners and required new registration, payment arrangements etc on August 1. So I’m there when they opened but their computer system was down.
    Doesn’t make me look forward to doing business with them.