Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingInline FabricationLoad Data
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionRepackboxRotoMetals2
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Question regarding RCBS trim pro 2

Boolit Buddy

Question regarding RCBS trim pro 2

Does anyone have one of these motorized units and they modified the shaft with the rubber to use something else besides the rubber? I recently got my unit and while I was trimming it bogged down on a piece of brass and when I pulled the handle the rubber that holds the shaft came apart. I ended up using some hose clamps and tightened it down really good, but I would rather have some kind of shaft that connects the motor and the trimmer together.

Looking for some ideas on how to make the shaft a lot more solid than it is now, I don't know why someone would design the device and use a piece of rubber hose to hold the two shafts together.

Boolit Buddy
    Now where I can shoot and not worry where the bullet goes
    Try using a drill bit extension coupling. It allows you to extend the length of a drill bit to drill a deeper hole. It’s a collar about 2 inches long with 2 set screws on each end. Just a quick thought.

Boolit Buddy
    Now where I can shoot and not worry where the bullet goes
    I went to find my drill bit collar, but of course, it’s hiding right now. But if get something like this set and match the size to both end stems diameter. You could add a solid metal piece in between and eliminate the rubber connection. It still makes me wonder if the rubber is acting like a shock absorber while it is spinning though.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	00D24CCB-CCCF-4B72-B565-9DB76B3A7AAF.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	20.6 KB 
ID:	302761

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by sailcaptain View Post
    I went to find my drill bit collar, but of course, it’s hiding right now. But if get something like this set and match the size to both end stems diameter. You could add a solid metal piece in between and eliminate the rubber connection. It still makes me wonder if the rubber is acting like a shock absorber while it is spinning though.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	00D24CCB-CCCF-4B72-B565-9DB76B3A7AAF.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	20.6 KB 
ID:	302761
    This is awesome. The rubber is a pain since its not really holding the shaft properly, with something solid I think it will work better.

I have to measure and then order one of those couplings.

Shock absorber, that could be possible too.

The rubber tube piece as part of the shaft is a shock absorber. I had mine come apart once in about 15 years, just ordered a new one, sent free of charge, but that was about 5-6 years ago.
    Usually when that happens is when the brass has a defect, like a split neck, that the cutters dig in and that motor just tries to keep on turning, making something give, usually the brass and the rubber both.
    If I keep the trimmer, trimming and use a saw for cutting, it all works a lot better.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Boolit Master

Just call or email RCBS; they will usually send a new one for free. It's built that way to keep the motor from burning up. I have been using one for years and have a spare shaft just in case the current one brakes.

I suspect that if you remove the rubber part and go to something more solid, when you burn up the motor or break something, RCBS would not replace it for free. Their warranty is just too good to risk losing. Everytime I call they just send the part. Even the Drum on a Sidewinder tumbler was replaced for free recently.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member