Load DataReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Inline FabricationRepackboxRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Lee Precision Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Soliciting opinions on 44 Keith SWC v. flat nose

Boolit Master

At 25 yards with a Special load, you're out to have fun - not go on some Chuck Yeager-esque quest to push the outer edge of some envelope.

And I'm here to tell you, you can have a ridiculous amount of fun with a 250+ grain .44 lobbed out around 700-750 fps.

What I hope to be my Final Solution to the .44 Boolit Problem:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	43-255D-D.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	24.1 KB 
ID:	303735

I wanted the basic concept of Veral Smith's 250 grain LFN, but with the simplicity of tumble lubing, so I worked with Tom at Accurate Molds to come up with this one. Nose length was calculated to work in S&W's and Rugers (plenty of room in the Redhawks), but may well be too long for the "book" COAL that most carbines seem to need.

That nose will get you a little more blunt force trauma on a milk jug or soup can than a Keith (which does not suck in that department), but should fly better (if longer distance becomes your intentions) than the super-blunt WFN's.

If you do intend to gas things up, this general style puts more of the overall mass out in front of the case, which will give you more room for a bigger charge of the "boomer" powders like H110.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

So Big, asking if you have fired bullets from this mold and if so, what are the results and, are you using Alox for tumble lubing,

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Noah Zark View Post
    ^^^ This. I successfully tuned a 44 Magnum Ruger 96 to feed 240 gr SWCs in 44 Special cases, but didn't have luck consistently feeding the same cartridges from a Cimarron 1873 in 44 Spl, or two Cimarron 1892s chambered in 44 Mag but firing my 44 Spls. The RNFP feeds in everything.

Noah
    I have used the Lyman Keith SWC bullet on a .44 Spl in a .44 Mag Rossi 92, latest model, with no feeding problems. But can see where the RNFP would work better in a longer case. The rifle thinks the Keith driving band is just part of the case….

I am not a good enough shot to worry about whether the RNFP or SWC is intrinsically more accurate at 25 or 50 yards. I just have more fun with the Keith bullet. I respect those who can shoot well enough that it matters.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by gc45 View Post
    So Big, asking if you have fired bullets from this mold and if so, what are the results and, are you using Alox for tumble lubing,

Thanks
    Have only made it as far as casting a pile and creating the test-fit dummy round. . .then got to the pesky part of the year where much gets put on hold for deer season prep.

Tumble lube of choice is White Label's 45-45-10, so Alox-based.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Accurate 43-255D.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	16.3 KB 
ID:	304565
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12