RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Reloading EverythingRepackboxWidenersInline Fabrication
Load Data Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need a rock tumbler.

Boolit Master

Need a rock tumbler.

So, I'm not familiar with these beasts, and need direction. I see that they are rated by pounds. That doesn't do a whole lot for me to visualize the drum size. I would like to get a single drum style. I'm thinking 8" - 10" diameter drum by 10" to 12" long, to do 50-75 cases at a time with pins. Any information would be very helpful. Thank you members.
    Jack
    If a 41 won't stop it, I wouldn't bet my life on a 44.

One of the better brands is a Tumbler’s Tumbler. Rubber inter coated pentagon shaped steel 15 pound net weight container, with solid lid, wing nuts that holds a seal, made for wet tumbling. It was designed for lapidary work.
    I used one for about 20 years to wet polish.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

you can look at the LORTONE QT 12 it has the drum size that you listed, but unless you are talking 50bmg it is much bigger that you need
    for 50 to 75 cases of 30-06 size cases I would go with the LORTONE QT 6 same diameter but 1/2 the length
    but i have always found that to go bigger is usually the best option just like a gun safe you buy one that you think is big enough and then before
    you know what happened it is full and you need a bigger one
    Great minds discuss ideas
    Average minds discuss events
    Small minds discuss people

Boolit Master

The Extreme Rebel 17 looks pretty good. Rock tumblers turn slower than those intended for polishing brass. The Rebel 17 is available in two speeds.

Boolit Master

I have been using one of these for over 30 years. https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/10...10080302008005
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Grand Master
    I have a Lortone 12 for 50 years. Bigger than you need. Look at the Harbor Freight one.
    Don Verna

I have Thumlers and Rebel, but the Frankford Arsenal gets the most use. It is also much cheaper.
    Tony

I built my own, it will polish .50 BMG brass.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by elmacgyver0 View Post
    I built my own, it will polish .50 BMG brass.
    I have a F.A.R.T., a double HF tumbler & one I built. I'll never buy one again. 12v wiper motor some punched angle, a bucket, 2 cheap casters a 3 position switch & any 12v power source with a few scraps from the pile & i built mine in about an hour for just a few dollars.

Improvise and overcome, well done NY.

Boolit Master
    Harbor Freight

That is great, simpler than mine.
    I don't understand the drill press though.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by elmacgyver0 View Post
    That is great, simpler than mine.
    I don't understand the drill press though.
    Just used as raised base to take pics from. lol

A bolt the same thread as the wiper motor goes through the center of your pail/paint can. I made an oversized washer for both sides of the container to support it better, You lock down the bolt with a nut then use an extension nut/coupling nut as the coupler. The switch is 3 position, center off with on at either end. It's wired so one way screws the container on while the other way allows the container to spin off for removal. I sealed the holes with silicone. I found center slipped a little so I through bolted the washers as well. But I was also using a 5 gal pail. I have since reduced it to 2 1/2 gal pail.I also think pool chlorine containers will work very well as they have a seal & lock. I have a few I need to try.
    Last edited by NyFirefighter357; 07-31-2022 at 08:44 PM.

Boolit Master

Thank you all for the reccomendations. I did go to HF earlier today. They only had the tumbler with the two small drums. I've been on Amazon, (which my wife gets free shipping) and decided to go with the Franfort Arsenal Platinum. Well known manufacturer, decent price (149.99) rubber lined to dampen noise, and 7 litre drum. That'll do.

Banned
    harbor freight dual rock tumbler and ss pins. instead of using two rubber tumblers, i have a piece of 4" sewer pipe, 4" cap and a 4" plug. and pieces of 1/2" plastic pipe that are cut in half.

and i bought a VEVOR 5Kg Rotary Tumbler Surface Polisher Jewelry Rock Polishing Finishing Tool for $60 in case the harbor freight fails. i've been doing the HF for about 8 years and the only thing i have with it is replacing the belt every year.

https://www.vevor.com/jewelry-polish...a=MXxOfDB8WXww

Boolit Bub

If you're handy and can score a free treadmill off Craigslist, tear it apart and re-mount the second/rear axle about four inches from the first/front axle. Grab a couple two or three quart cylindrical plastic containers from the Dollar Store, some stainless steel pin media from any online source, dish soap, and Lemi-Shine, and you're done.

Reduce - Reuse - Recycle

Boolit Bub

If you're handy and can score a free treadmill off Craigslist, tear it apart and re-mount the second/rear axle about four inches from the first/front axle. Grab a couple two or three quart cylindrical plastic containers from the Dollar Store, some stainless steel pin media from any online source, dish soap, and Lemi-Shine, and you're done.

Reduce - Reuse - Recycle

Boolit Master

Update on the Frankfort Arsenal Tumbler. Just in case anyone is interested in how the tumbler is built, and it's function. IMO, this tumbler is a quality piece of equipment.
    Very well made, easy to use, user friendly instruction manual. So far, since my purchase, I have cleaned approximately 1100 to 1200 cases. These were mostly magnum rifle. Approximately half the cases looked unsaveable. I couldn't believe how they finished out. All the cases look brand new. Before I bought this tumbler, I polished my brass with my little Ultra Vibe 10 I purchased in 1996. It worked fine, but if there were any badly stained brass it would not take it off. When I decided on the Frankfort Arsenal, I ordered the smaller 3 liter model. Then I noticed that the drum was not lined with rubber. I then ordered the 7 liter model which I have now. After the smaller model arrived, I was very glad I had ordered the 7 liter model. The smaller model would have been way to small for the amount brass I was processing. Oh by the way, the 7 liter model comes with 5 pounds of SS pins. After the 7 liter model arrived, the 3 liter model was returned. Again, thank you all for your suggestions.
    Regards to all.
    Last edited by littlejack; 08-13-2022 at 12:56 PM.

Not knocking F.A.'s tumbler, however, mine developed cracks in the bowl starting in the middle and fingering outward. I epoxied those and it keeps on ticking. I believe replacement bowls and lids are available but I'm too cheap.

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

Boolit Master

Slim, thanks for the tip. I'll keep an eye out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast