Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingInline Fabrication
RepackboxLoad DataLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Percussion Cap Tins

I use the TC plastic snail capper. Works on rifles and revolvers. It has a hole that is large enough to set the cap tin in and dump the whole thing at once. Open once and dispose of the tin.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Quote Originally Posted by bimus View Post
    When hunting the Tic Tac containers work very well
    Or Icebreaker can with the two openings.

Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

Boolit Grand Master
    Boy, I can relate to this thread. Slippery & tight is my most common experience. A finger nail at the junction or a knife blade gets me started.

Quote Originally Posted by 725 View Post
    Slippery & tight is my most common experience.
    Boy, what I could do with that statement if I was the crude type.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Grand Master

The tins are just to get them home, then they go in a capper or a holder for range use. I have used a Ted cash capper for on to 40 years now along with a home made leather holder that holds 6 for the range or hunting. Although long ago some caps came in tins with knurled lids.

Boolit Master

Sasquatch, glad I'm not alone!

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    That's what Altoid tins are for - if shooting at a range it makes it pretty easy to get your fat fingers in to wrap caps - easy open easy close. For rifles, I use a Ted Cash capper that I bought from Ted many years ago at Friendship.

Boolit Master

I just use a narrow strip of that traction tape they sell for skateboards, one strip on lid one around the base. Easy peasy lemon squeezy!
    An old Cherokee was teaching his grandson about life. "Inside me two wolves fight," he told the boy.
    "One is evil - he is anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity, resentment, lies, false pride, and ego. The other is good - he is joy, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, generosity, truth and faith. The same fight is inside you - and every other person, too."
    The grandson thought for a minute and asked,"Which wolf will win?"
    The old Cherokee replied, "The one you feed."

Boolit Buddy
    Man I just wish I could find some to remember how much trouble it is to get in to them

Quote Originally Posted by ncmn View Post
    Man I just wish I could find some to remember how much trouble it is to get in to them
    What he said^^^^^^^

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

That caused me to look on Gunbroker to see what I could see.....Yowzers! Think the prices for primers are bad? Try $30/hundred! And very few on offer.

Then I searched Ruger Old Army, 'cause I have a stainless one I bought over 20 years ago for a couple hundred. Yowzers again!

Proving the ancient investors' rule that in times of inflation, own stuff.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bedbugbilly View Post
    That's what Altoid tins are for - if shooting at a range it makes it pretty easy to get your fat fingers in to wrap caps - easy open easy close. For rifles, I use a Ted Cash capper that I bought from Ted many years ago at Friendship.
    Same for me. Also saves me from dropping primers when reloading.

PS If thinking about a cheaper capper, don't. I bought two before I got frustrated with them. Get good ones, either inline or high cap. Cash designed good ones and they are worth it.

Boolit Master
    For holding the caps and installing them on the nipples of my Rifles, I have always used a Capper made out of two layers of leather with holes punched in one layer.
    This is what our forefathers used.
    This doesn't work on revolvers.
    But it is great on rifles

Boolit Buddy
    Next time you have a tin open, place the smallest amount of Imperial case sizing lube on the rim and lid. I do this with pellet tins and those as-is are easier then cap tins to open (screw tops). Just a smidgen rubbed on does a world of good.

45_Colt

As observed by several others in the thread, putting them in something else is a great solution. Other stuff that needs opening improvement are cheese sticks and packing tape. Just saw a cartoon where the devil is having an award ceremony and says, "This month's employee of the month is Bob (a little devil) who invented the roll of packing tape that really has no end to find."

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IM005767.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	48.7 KB 
ID:	302882

DG
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IM005768.jpg  
    Last edited by Der Gebirgsjager; 08-04-2022 at 11:52 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    Amen Broken bear.
    Siamese4570

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by uscra112 View Post
    That caused me to look on Gunbroker to see what I could see.....Yowzers! Think the prices for primers are bad? Try $30/hundred! And very few on offer.

Then I searched Ruger Old Army, 'cause I have a stainless one I bought over 20 years ago for a couple hundred. Yowzers again!

Proving the ancient investors' rule that in times of inflation, own stuff.
    I’ve been wanting a Ruger old/new army for a couple of years and wil NOT pay what they go for, probably why I’ve been waiting 8 months for a new Ruger SBL.

The last time I waited 8-9 months for something to get released it cost me hundreds of thousands over 25 years…

Art
    ”Only accurate rifles are interesting”
    ——Townsend Whelen

In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act
    —- George Orwell

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RoyEllis View Post
    I just use a narrow strip of that traction tape they sell for skateboards, one strip on lid one around the base. Easy peasy lemon squeezy!
    Why is it that I can't think of the easy solutions?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    Same for me. Also saves me from dropping primers when reloading.

PS If thinking about a cheaper capper, don't. I bought two before I got frustrated with them. Get good ones, either inline or high cap. Cash designed good ones and they are worth it.
    Got three inline cappers one good one that I dont like (cash I think) two cheapies from Cabellas I way prefer ..................

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Brokenbear View Post
    I'm grinning when I say this so don't wad up on me .."I cried because I had no shoes til I saw a man who had no feet"
    Be thankful you have a hundred to spill ..I just got lucky at Wally World but there are still a lot of folks without or with very few
    Check your WallMart store for caps fellas as they are hitting the stores that are known to carry any reloading or BP supplies

Bear
    Yeah just bought the only tin of caps within a hundred mile radius of my house Remington number ten's = $18 /100
    Rang a feller about three hours away - he has plenty RWS $22/100 for top hat caps , $18/100 for 10 & 11 --but NOBODY is shipping dangerous goods - six hour drive with gas at two bucks & twenty a litre .................THEY are tryin to wear us down!.... new shipment of Wano powder he says will be $190 per kilo and drive to collect it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast