Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Inline FabricationWidenersLoad DataLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox

Thread: Need help identifying this Farqy tool(?)

Need help identifying this Farqy tool(?)

I went to an estate sale this weekend & bought a Farqy Tool. I didn't have clue what it was but it looked like a precise set of jigs & parts. All I really know is that it says Farqy Tool on the outside of the generic box. I've been searching the internet & I find no references to "Farqy" as related to firearms. The box probably contained more than one item or device(?) The holder says it's an "Extractor Filing Jig". The piston like tool that fits the jig looks like a spring loaded gadget that screws into an action (Rem threads I think) & holds pressure while you work the action to lap the lugs. The markings on the spring loaded piston say "Farqy B-Face LA". The aluminum base item has a nylon post & there is a wooden handled spanner wrench along with a box of various thread tool pins. Any & all info anyone can provide would be most appreciated.

BTW: Yes, I'm weird, & often buy stuff that I don't know what it is - if it strikes my fancy!...

Attachment 302705 Attachment 302706 Attachment 302712
    Attachment 302707 Attachment 302708 Attachment 302709
    Attachment 302710
    Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.

just a WAG , could it be for fitting parts to a Scottish John Farquharson rifle ? -
    never pick a fight with an old man - if he is too old to fight he will just kill you -
    in this current crisis our government is not the solution , it is the problem ! -

ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM

as they say in latin

Quote Originally Posted by schutzen-jager View Post
    just a WAG , could it be for fitting parts to a Scottish John Farquharson rifle ? -
    That was my guess but I couldn't spell it

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Looks like something I might have built only it isn't.
    Are you sure it is commercial?

I would guess you can find out about it over on the ASSRA forum.
    Phil

Boolit Buddy
    In the early 2000's, the Trinidad Gunsmithing School had a summer class you could sign up for to build a Farquharson rifle from a 'kit'.
    The kit was a complete set of investment cast parts that was supplied by a firm called Action Castings LLC, of Trinidad, CO.
    The guy that ran the castings comp was Gordon Robertson.
    They had some problems initially with the castings themselves when they first had the casts done up overseas. Shrinkage of some of the parts and some other problems made them make a change to having the molds brought back to the US and the castings done here.
    Acceptable results were then obtained.

The summer semester class at the college was taught by Leonard Bull who was then a retired instructor from the college.
    Buying one of the cast parts kits was required for the course,,I think they cost about $350 at the time.

I'm guessing here,,,but I think these tools you have were made up as part of the build process to get the rough castings to a finished action.
    This was not a beginner gunsmithing course for sure.
    They may have been part of each 'students' required tool & fixture making or perhaps a set for the group at large to use.

Just my guess of course.

Boolit Master
    I had heard the name over the years and never really steered or gravitated to them in any way or for any information. Today I Google and my first thought was somebody at the Ruger facility way back liked the Farquharson rifle! Is this blasphemy?

Boolit Master
    pertnear: Thanks for posting those pictures. A jig like that would be just the ticket for making the extractor cut when rebarreling an 1874 Sharps replica.

Quote Originally Posted by Gtek View Post

Today I Google and my first thought was somebody at the Ruger facility way back liked the Farquharson rifle! Is this blasphemy ?

That someone was one of the founders of Sturm Ruger - Bill Ruger.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master
    That would have been my guess, like that little 22 pistol that has been around forever that looks/was the love child of them other two designs. There is a few R's in the house, the world is a better place from him walking on it!

Boolit Master

Farqueharson tool? AKA Ruger #1?

Art
    ”Only accurate rifles are interesting”
    ——Townsend Whelen

In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act
    —- George Orwell