RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Forster Co-Ax Tips and good ideas

Boolit Grand Master
    Good explanation JimKirk.

Here is the video I mentioned:
    https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...77AE&FORM=VIRE

Here is another...go to about the 10:00 mark. This guys slams it much harder than necessary but his arm winds up right over the cartridge. He sits at the press the way I do.
    https://www.bing.com/videos/search?&...VRV&ajaxhist=0

How JimKirk does it would be worth trying and is better than sitting in front of the press the way most people would.
    Don Verna

Boolit Grand Master

My coax has been "tuned up" once Do to wear. New links and pins. Links holes and the matching pins were worn egg shaped. The lower block with the shell holder was the old style cast iron and didnt have the hardened steel plate between it and the shell plate. It had a low spot ( visible and appeared to be about .030 with a straight edge across the block) O milled this back to flat and made a wear plate from .060 banding. The guide pins and their holes were fine. The newer models have this wear plate already installed. These presses are a unique design, Hold up extremely well, and will load many rounds over several owners lifetimes. Keep it lubed up and clean

I had to replace the springs to the shell plate after 20 plus years of use. It is the most massive and robust press on the market IMO and I've own just about all of the competing brands over 5 decades. I load a lot of different calibers and the quick change feature to swap dies is among the most useful of the Co-Axial's design.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by JimKirk View Post
    I am not sure why you got have your hand over a case except to place and remove the cartridge and I do that from the side anyway ...

But .... that is your choice ...
    Yep, I agree....
    When I prime on my Co-Ax, I operate the handle with my right hand. I raise the ram and insert primer into the primer cup, then lower the ram. I pick up a case with my left hand, glance at the case and case head and slide it into the shell holder jaws. I normally do not hold the case while I raise the ram with my right hand and seat the primer. Lower ram and remove case. I guess I could hold the case, with my hand covering the mouth while priming, but I often pick up another case or scratch my nose, etc. I cannot see where/when my hand moves in front of the priming case. Besides, I seat my primers and don't "slam them home". The only "safer" priming method would be a ram prime used in a single stage press...
    Last edited by mdi; 08-03-2022 at 01:05 PM.
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    Good explanation JimKirk.

Here is the video I mentioned:
    https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...77AE&FORM=VIRE

Here is another...go to about the 10:00 mark. This guys slams it much harder than necessary but his arm winds up right over the cartridge. He sits at the press the way I do.
    https://www.bing.com/videos/search?&...VRV&ajaxhist=0

How JimKirk does it would be worth trying and is better than sitting in front of the press the way most people would.
    Early on I sat in the front of the press like a lot folks do ...but I kinda developed little ways to get the press to be "easier" to use ...

I also developed a simple way to shorten the handle stroke by taking a 5/16" NF(I think it is a 3") ...anyway ground the hex head to the same taper as the factory jaw opening bolt.... I happen to have a piece of hollow aluminum tube that fit right over the 5/16" bolt .... I had to shorten the tube to get the proper opening/closing correct ... this shortens the stroke by about half the normal stroke ....I did this long before the guy started selling his kits that sort uses the same idea ....shared it with Forster but they didn't seem interested...In the photo you see Black original opening bolt, the extended one I made out the bolt at the far right ...and the hollow tube.... I don't have the exact lengths in my head but will measure them later this afternoon ... Works really well with pistol/revolver cartridges ..

Boolit Man
    Also made a primer pocket swage ....using the 5/16" NF bolt ....machines the proper form on the end ...have be careful not to rip rims off ... Oh yeah this uses the primer post hole and jaws to sewage primer pocket ....little learning curve ...but it works ... I use just a touch of Imperial size wax on the swage ....makes it work smoothly ....

Boolit Master

JimKirk,

I really like your suggestion. I did polish the point on mine and I tried raising it for the shorter stroke as I had seen suggested somewhere but without the collar stop. I didn't like the lack of a solid stop for fear of damaging the jaws. The addition of the stop collar is so dang obvious I feel embarrassed for not having thought of it myself. I will be watching for your measurements.
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by oley55 View Post
    JimKirk,

I really like your suggestion. I did polish the point on mine and I tried raising it for the shorter stroke as I had seen suggested somewhere but without the collar stop. I didn't like the lack of a solid stop for fear of damaging the jaws. The addition of the stop collar is so dang obvious I feel embarrassed for not having thought of it myself. I will be watching for your measurements.
    A piece of copper pipe the right size would work ... as well as a cut off cartridge brass the right length ... But for less than $5 you can fix the stroke easy ...

Boolit Master
    Hmmm I just looked at this press on Brownells, $400 delivered? Then you have to fix it? You know this is going to kick the whole money saving thing down the road a few years.

I would chuckle except I just spent too much on a rest.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Grand Master
    JimKirk,

Great modifications that many folks can use. I really like the primer pocket swager!!! Brilliant.

Nice job
    Don Verna

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mal Paso View Post
    Hmmm I just looked at this press on Brownells, $400 delivered? Then you have to fix it? You know this is going to kick the whole money saving thing down the road a few years.

a hack to shorten the throw for short pistol cartridge's is hardly fixing it. I'm not aware of many presses out there that allow the press's top to bottom throw to be adjusted for different cartridge lengths.
    Last edited by oley55; 08-02-2022 at 07:37 PM.
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by oley55 View Post
    a hack to shorten the throw for short pistol cartridge's is hardly fixing it. I'm not aware of many presses out there that allow the press's top to bottom throw to be adjusted for different cartridge lengths.
    It was just sticker shock. It's actually reasonable if you check Brownells latest email with a $1,275 turret press. I will keep my eye out for a deal. I'm happy with the Rock Chucker but I could have 2 presses. That's actually conservative around here!
    Last edited by Mal Paso; 08-02-2022 at 08:04 PM.
    Mal

Boolit Grand Master

It was just sticker shock. It's actually reasonable if you check Brownells latest email with a $1,275 turret press. I will keep my eye out for a deal. I'm happy with the Rock Chucker but I could have 2 presses. That's actually conservative around here!
    I would recommend finding a buddy that has one and use it before you purchase. Some people love these presses and some people not so much. I have two. Got my first in the early 80's. I am strongly in the "not so much" camp. I have a bunch of presses. It's one of my many vices. I tend to collect them. Neither one of my Co-Ax's has lived up to the hype or my expectations.

The test comparisons here are very similar to my experiences. https://ultimatereloader.com/2019/04...e-shootout/15/

https://forum.accurateshooter.com/th...-2021.4020810/

2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    JimKirk,

Great modifications that many folks can use. I really like the primer pocket swager!!! Brilliant.

Nice job
    I don't mix brands of brass when swaging ... I adjust the primer jaws for one brand as even though small ...there is a slight difference in rims ... doing so keeps you from messing up the rims ... still have be careful not to man handle just like priming .... but I did over a thousand LC .223/5.56 with just one ruined rim.... it does not replace a dedicated swager ....but does work ... only trick is getting the profile of the swage post right...

One more little tip ...the primer setup post"tool" with the large primer/small primer ends are perfect for checking primer pocket size....

Boolit Man

There is absolutely nothing that has to be "fixed" for the CoAx to work perfectly as it comes ... Nothing!

Boolit Master
    There is absolutely nothing that has to be "fixed" for the CoAx to work perfectly as it comes ... Nothing!
    "I'm a Doctor Jim, not a damn engineer!"
    Mal

Boolit Man
    "I'm a Doctor Jim, not a damn engineer!"
    I have A PHD in Red Neck Engineering...��

Boolit Grand Master
    You made me smile with that! I have a degree in engineering and appreciate good common sense solutions like you have come up with.

BTW, when I was a young engineer, I was blessed to have an old Brit who “worked for me”. I learned a lot from that old machinist. I kept my mouth shut and let him educate me. I could teach him nothing. An education without common sense is useless.

Again, thank you for sharing your ideas.
    Don Verna

Sir, I would proudly hold your beer.

Boolit Master

Well there is one or two things that just can't be fixed...I can not use my RCBS collet bullet puller with this press or the Lee push through type bullet sizers.

I am of course assuming you haven't made a hack for these as well. LOL

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast