MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataWidenersTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationRepackboxLee PrecisionReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Forster Co-Ax Tips and good ideas

Forster Co-Ax Tips and good ideas

Our recent threads on progressive presses have led me to order the Co-Ax everyone raves about - seems those who have them use noting else for precision reloading. I just ordered one yesterday and it should be here in less than a week. It is the B-5 with S jaws from Amazon.

I also ordered the Inline Fabrication quick change mounting plate and their normal size roller handle. I did not order any additional press lighting, but will if it is needed with my setup.

Looking for tips on other "improvements" I should consider. I know there is no improving the press, but what tips/additions do you have to make using it more enjoyable. Wondering about the short handle and die locking rings. Most of my dies have screw type locking rings; do I need the Forster rings? I also read a lot of users use Hornady rings as less expensive substitutes for the Forster.

dverna; this hole in my budget is your fault.
    Tony
    Last edited by AnthonyB; 07-31-2022 at 01:19 PM. Reason: Can’t type

Boolit Grand Master

I have been reloading for quite a while and the best press I have used is the Forster Co-Ax. I read a bit about the "cons" of the press but experienced none. The "modifications" on my Co-Ax are simple and cheap; I replaced the hex socket jaw holder assembly screws with phillips round head screws. I use a long screwdriver (18") from the top, with die removed to remove screws, much easier than a short allen wrench. I tried a short handle but it was uncomfortable for me so I shortened the stock handle about 3". I mounted my press about 30 degrees to my left which seems to make operation easier. I did install an LED light but a 100 watt desk light worked for a few years until my eyes reached their 73 birthday. As for lock rings, all I have tried work even Lee aluminum, but the thicker (Forster, Sinclair) rings fit the die slot better, less vertical movement. I made some "tools" for my Co-Ax like an extension to size bullets (a case with a dowel/rod about 2 1/2"). I really haven't "needed" to make any modifications or add any accessories as the press worked perfectly right out of the box, just minor "customizations"...

FWIW; I learned long ago to find out if I needed to change/modify any tool rather than rely on what others needed to do to their tools...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyB View Post
    Our recent threads on progressive presses have led me to order the Co-Ax everyone raves about - seems those who have them use noting else for precision reloading. I just ordered one yesterday and it should be here in less than a week. It is the B-5 with S jaws from Amazon.

I also ordered the Inline Fabrication quick change mounting plate and their normal size roller handle. I did not order any additional press lighting, but will if it is needed with my setup.

Looking for tips on other "improvements" I should consider. I know there is no improving the press, but what tips/additions do you have to make using it more enjoyable. Wondering about the short handle and die locking rings. Most of my dies have screw type locking rings; do I need the Forster rings? I also read a lot of users use Hornady rings as less expensive substitutes for the Forster.

dverna; this hole in my budget is your fault.
    Tony
    You will stop cursing me once you load on it...LOL.

My only negative with the press is priming on it. I consider it dangerous even though I never had an issue. Used to use the Lee and RCBS hand primers but for the last few years have used the RCBS bench prime.

It will be the last press on my bench, and the one I would take with me when the Father calls me home....if He lets me reload rifle ammunition.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    The priming setup on the press is a no go for me. I've tried other die rings, even old school RCBS, but the Forester work best. Forester dies work really good too especially the "S" dies with bushings. I had to order the "LS" jaws extra when I got mine. You'll need those. I have mine attached to a board so i can clamp it to the bench when shooting at the range.

Boolit Grand Master

I really use mine a lot. One thing I did was remove the little spent primer bottle and attached a length of clear plastic tubing long enough to reach the floor then ran it into an old 8 pound powder bottle.

Boolit Grand Master
    Wanted to add, use the Co-Ax die rings. I bought a bag of 10 IIRC from Scheels and they had the best price at the time.

One other tip. I might load 20-40 rounds of hunting ammunition at a time. If you plink or target shoot with a different bullet/load that has a different COL look for used seater dies. Having one set up for each load is convenient. Snapping in the preset die saves some tweaking and setup time. I do not shoot dozens of different loads in a caliber. If you do, it may not be practical.
    Don Verna

Boolit Man
    I have owned a coax since early '70s ....loaded a boat full of ammo on it from .380 ACP to the .300 magnums ....

99% of those have been primed right on the press ...really consistent seating ....

If you are using the old style "jaws" ...do not tighten the screws too tight ....

Fastest die change there is ...

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JimKirk View Post
    I have owned a coax since early '70s ....loaded a boat full of ammo on it from .380 ACP to the .300 magnums ....

99% of those have been primed right on the press ...really consistent seating ....

If you are using the old style "jaws" ...do not tighten the screws too tight ....

Fastest die change there is ...
    Having my hand over the cartridge while seating a primer is not safe. Also, on the Co-Ax, the priming operation is at the top of the press and closer to eye level.

“Boatload” is a subjective number. Maybe not too many? Or maybe you have been very careful or very lucky. I have loaded well over 250k, maybe close to 500k rounds using different presses, hand primers, and a bench primer. Never had a primer go off....but I figure it will happen some day. Some of my guns are tuned for speed and have such light hammer strikes I have to use Federal primers.

Murphy cannot be trusted.

I know guys who do not wear glasses when reloading. Another unsafe practice. But just my opinion.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master

when new I knocked the sharp leading edges off the slot the die lock rings slip into. I only use aluminum split rings. Probably not an issue but I worried the use of sloppy steel rings would worry out or gouge the cast iron slot.
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master
    I picked up an old Bonanza co-ax that has a conversion to use rcbs type shell holders for priming. This system starts inserting the primer later in the stroke which puts your hand behind the case instead of directly over the case. Still should wear eye protection as the priming happens closer to eye level that most presses.

I have only found one or two odd ball die rings that don't work very well as they are too thick.

The only time I use the primer system is if it’s a round I don’t have a shell plate for.

I do have one of these on mine.

https://www.amazon.com/KMS%C2%B2-Rel.../dp/B07X6KF2KJ

Boolit Grand Master

Also for me; the priming system can be a pain but only the shell holder jaws. A sloppy adjustment, thin case rims and tight primer pockets can lead to ruined brass, but it is the same principle as a ram prime. I have mine set/adjusted for 9mm cases and have no problems, but most of my other priming is done with an RCBS bench prime or a ram prime in my "C" press...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Buddy
    I had a bunch of aluminum die locks, the ones with knurled edges, no idea on brand or how I got so many, anyways, they were too wide to fit the slot on my Co-Ax so I glued an extra fine piece of sand paper on a flat steel and sanded one side until I got a snug fit, been using those for quite a while with no problems.
    "People in Arizona carry guns," said Detective David Ramer, a Chandler police spokesman. You better be careful about who you are picking on...

Boolit Master
    I made a short handle for my Co-Ax. 3/4" steel tube cut to your preferred length, choose a ball end, or what suits you and you are set.
    NRA Endowment Life Member

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    Having my hand over the cartridge while seating a primer is not safe. Also, on the Co-Ax, the priming operation is at the top of the press and closer to eye level.

“Boatload” is a subjective number. Maybe not too many? Or maybe you have been very careful or very lucky. I have loaded well over 250k, maybe close to 500k rounds using different presses, hand primers, and a bench primer. Never had a primer go off....but I figure it will happen some day. Some of my guns are tuned for speed and have such light hammer strikes I have to use Federal primers.

Murphy cannot be trusted.

I know guys who do not wear glasses when reloading. Another unsafe practice. But just my opinion.
    My boat load is probably north of 150,000...on this coax alone...
    And the primer system is no more dangerous than any other primer system ....

Boolit Grand Master
    My boat load is probably north of 150,000...on this coax alone...
    And the primer system is no more dangerous than any other primer system ....
    Sir, I applaud your success...err luck?

Common sense tells me having my hand over a case while seating a primer is problematic. IMO it is not worth the risk. IIRC I paid about $100 for the RCBS bench prime. It is faster and safer and $100 is cheap insurance.

We can agree to disagree. Owners of this great press should hear both opinions and decide accordingly.
    Don Verna

Boolit Man
    Sir, I applaud your success...err luck?

Common sense tells me having my hand over a case while seating a primer is problematic. IMO it is not worth the risk. IIRC I paid about $100 for the RCBS bench prime. It is faster and safer and $100 is cheap insurance.

We can agree to disagree. Owners of this great press should hear both opinions and decide accordingly.
    I am not sure why you got have your hand over a case except to place and remove the cartridge and I do that from the side anyway ...

But .... that is your choice ...

Boolit Grand Master
    I am not sure why you got have your hand over a case except to place and remove the cartridge and I do that from the side anyway ...

But .... that is your choice ...
    When I raise the lever to prime, the hand operating the lever is over the case. I looked at the Forster video and it shows that as well. How do you operate the lever? It may be useful for others to learn your procedure.

I will stay with priming off the Co-Ax press.
    Don Verna

Boolit Man
    When I raise the lever to prime, the hand operating the lever is over the case. I looked at the Forster video and it shows that as well. How do you operate the lever? It may be useful for others to learn your procedure.

I will stay with priming off the Co-Ax press.
    Wow! Now that is common sense!! You Win !!

Boolit Man
    For the folks that would like to really know how to prime without putting your hand or arm directly over a brass being primed ....
    I stand/sit slightly to the right of the coax... I use my right arm to move the lever ... because the lever is more or less "behind" the center line of the press ...the right hand pulls the lever away from the press ...so your hand/arm is never over the brass in any form or fashion... the left hand places the primer and places the brass .... then removes the brass after the primer is seated...

Like I have stated ...I have used this coax extensively for almost fifty years .... there are ways to use the priming system safely .... even though some think otherwise...

It takes very little pressure to operate the lever during priming ...you can not man handle the lever ...

I will give that the primer system is slower ... but it is no more dangerous than having 100 primers stacked one on top of another in a bomb like fashion... I can(or could) show you a fellow that had one those tubes stuck in his ceiling... and had pick marks all over his face where it blew... thank God he had safety glasses on or he would probably been blind when he died...
    Another positive is... it seats primer consistently at .004 below flush ... show me another press(there may be one out there) that can do that...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast