Load DataInline FabricationLee PrecisionPBcastco
RepackboxRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Wideners Reloading Everything

Thread: 20ga reloading supplies--does ANYONE have them in stock?

20ga reloading supplies--does ANYONE have them in stock?

I just got my hands on a well used, but solid 20ga double. Cut down to 19", shortened stock. It came with an ancient box of #6 shells.
    I went to purchase some more 20ga ammo, and could only come up with some #8 and some slugs.
    So I thought, I'd get some primed hulls, wads, and cook up my own buck loads. I've checked every site I could find, and nobody seems to have anything for 20ga. Not hulls, not wads. Not cork or felt discs, overshot card.

Does anyone know of a source for anything 20ga? Especially primed hulls.

I'm surprised that reloading gear and ammo is still experiencing these shortages.
    Too much of a good thing is an awesome thing!

Try Ballistic Products the have shells and wad in stock.

https://www.ballisticproducts.com
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

And, there is hardly any 20 gauge shells anywhere for sale. The only ones I've seen ( at$10/25) were Monarch brand from Academy..410 shells are also very scarce.
    Weirdly; there is more 28 gauge shells available now than I've ever seen.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Welcome to why I started shotshell loading at the beginning of the year. I had 5 free mec press given to me over the decades..but with target shells 5$/25 I just tossed them in the garage. Now... Im doing 12, 16, 20 and .410

John, I apologize I did not look at the actual shell list to see they were out of stock.

Try posting a WTB in S&S, there are a couple of members that list them once in a while that may help you out.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

This has been my experience. I found a couple boxes of slugs locally. That was it. They had 28 and 10 gauge, a lot in the way of 12. And like 4 boxes of 20ga slugs. Oddly, as I'm trying to put components together to roll my own, Ballistics Products didn't have any primed hulls. Not the wads for the loads I found...

I'm not a serious reloader. I had a couple good 12ga coyote rounds that I worked up, but otherwise I've always stuck strictly to the book. In this case I'm trying to learn about subbing out components. I want to figure out some light recoil buck loads (I don't know, 3/4oz). Wondering if it's safe to substitute a regular wad for a felt wad/gas seal... It bums me out. A new shotgun, and there's nothing to fire through it!
    Too much of a good thing is an awesome thing!

Boolit Master

I've only been loading shotshells this year but I have done a ton of research reading books looked online ,talk to other Reloaders and I've played around a little bit.. Though using published data. I've been reloading metallic cartridges for decades .I've been making some Buck loads using equivalent shot loads and those end up being fairly light Buck loads for instance take a 7/8 oz shot load and turn it into a 7/8 oz buck load using something like Green Dot. I'm an engineer by trade and education and when you look at dynamics and pressures in a column 7/8 Oz is mostly 7/8 Oz and there's some small difference based on the shot size but lead is Lead and so far I haven't had any problem with it I'm not suggesting you do it but it gives you some ideas to think about. Look at it another way..take a 1 1/8 target load in red/green dot..then look at a heavy buck or slug load in blue dot.. The pressure difference gives you lots of fuzzy fudge room...
    Last edited by Soundguy; 07-30-2022 at 05:56 PM.

Do you have a skeet range near? Look in the trash cans, also after a Registered shoots clubs will sometimes sell better hulls. (AA, STS)

Precision Reloading (Mitchell SD) has several 20 ga wads in stock. No 20 ga hulls.
    Last edited by MarkP; 07-30-2022 at 08:41 PM. Reason: add reloading store info

Vendor Sponsor

Yes, Reloading is a must and BPI for components. It is the only way to be able to shoot enough to get any kind of good. I shoot Skeet now once a week on Thursdays. I usually shoot 2-3 boxes of shells. Sometimes I shoot my 12 ga. and sometimes I shoot my .410. Nobody can afford to shoot .410 factory ammo, and now 12 ga. is out the top as well. What used to be $5.00 a box for 12 ga is now $10-12 per box and .410's used to be $12.50 a box now pushing $20.

I reload.410's for .22 each or $5.50 per box. 12 ga. is .27 each or $6.75 per box. and that is at todays component prices. Powder, Shot, and Primers being the most fluid in pricing. 12 ga. used to be .18 each or $4.50 a box.

Either way I save money in exchange for some time, but I always have ammo to shoot, which is worth a lot more!

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master

You did not stock up when available. Shame shame shame like the song.

Hard to care, after the last 10 years.

Just on the Grafs website- 20 gauge wads at .03 per and Cheddite primers $69 per K ---3 K limit.
    The essence of education is self reliance- T.H. White.

Currently seeking wood carving tools, wood planes, froes, scorps, spokeshaves... etc....

Boolit Master
    Used to be one could go to the local trap/skeet fields and pickup hulls off the ground or out the trash that were usable . I’m picky about hulls and only use AA or STS in the 12-20-28 and 410 . For the 16 I lucked into several thousand of what were referred to as WIN AA 16 hulls although technically they never made AA 16 gauge ammo , the hull design however was the same as the AA’s . For the 10 I’ve grabbed up all the Remington and Cheddite/RST hulls I could lay my hands on reasonably . 8 gauge hulls were a premium and I had to pay the price . Anyway now at skeet/trap/sporting places the trash cans are a lot less than times past . Even the cheap promo hulls are in far less supply via trash can then they used to be . Point being if you see them and you can have them or buy them reasonably do so as the opportunity might not come again .
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by beezapilot View Post
    Just on the Grafs website- 20 gauge wads at .03 per and Cheddite primers $69 per K ---3 K limit.
    $210 for 3,000 Chedrights . I was buying 5,000 WIN 209’s for $145 two years ago and when they became in short supply I bought a bunch of Chedrights for $120 for 5,000 . I’ve not bought any Chedrights in awhile but the last 5,000 cost me almost $300 by the time they got to me .
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

I shoot a 12 gauge and the components aren’t too hard to find. It just takes patience and perseverance. If I go alone, the inflated price of components adds about $2 to shoot a couple of rounds. That’s not too bad for what I get out of shooting.
    The sooner I fall behind...the more time I have to catch up with