Load DataTitan ReloadingWidenersReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Repackbox Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 32 rimfire data that is not on the web.

Boolit Master

32 rimfire data that is not on the web.

I have been playing around with two 32 rimfire firearms. One is a Stevens bicycle rifle in .32 short and a Smith and Wesson 1 and a half in .32 long.

First off, .32 rimfire in the pistol does not produce the velocities that are listed in most sources. Not a surprise but still not really documented. Think more like 600 fps not the 900 you would expect from a rifle.

Most often .32 long is listed as having a 90 gr. bullet but my box of Canuck .32 long is marked as having 80 gr. bullet and it does not shoot any faster in the pistol than their .32 short ammo.

Understand this data set is small and I am not in a rush to burn up this 5 dollar a round ammo. I have a box of .32 short Peters semismokeless ammo and a box of .32 Long Remington ammo. I will pull bullets and check their weight and report along with velocities from both firearms, .32 short only in the Stevens.

I have made new converted cases and now have more than 50 reloads. I have fired more than 100 reloads with half a dozen different projectiles and three different propellants, #3 and #4 ramsets and 2 to 3 grains of Green Dot.

I have pushed round balls up to 1400 fps from the rifle and 1000 fps from the pistol. I understand that is pointless for more than just knowledge and curiosity and for practical use I will keep loads much lower.

I have settled on converting .32 APC brass because I had a bunch and it requires the least effort except for .32 short Colt but that is hard to come by.

Pictures in the next post, I hope.

TEK
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Boolit Master
    Sorry not pictures yet but here is my process for converting .32 APC brass to .32 rimfire. Swage in in .310" bullet sizer, turn head on the lathe to .310", drill offset primer hole on drill press with 7/32''s drill, take a small amount off the face of the case to match the headspace with the .22 ramset/blank installed, just enough to close the action. Chamfer the primer hole. Fire form to the chamber.

Loading the ammo. Decap, to remove the ramset/blank. Neck expand using whatever you might have for a die our just use a steel ball and hammer. Seat bullet by hand (you need healed bullets) or if round ball with a small hammer. Crimp by running back into the .310" bullet sizer. Charge with powder thru the primer hole or install the ramset or blank using whatever press, drill press etc.

Tim

Boolit Master
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	32 rf.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	46.0 KB 
ID:	302673

Boolit Master

Name:	32 rf2.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	18.3 KB 
ID:	302674

Ping for later,
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Really good work here. I have always thought that the .32 rimfire should come back, given how pricey center fire rounds have become. Load them with aluminum cases and lead bullets and I would think the price would be pretty reasonable, no more than .22 magnum.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Buddy
    Found some load data of 32 Long Colt 32 Short Colt They are Center fire but if you are rebuilding offset rimfire case it may be close. Something to think about anyway.Scan.pdf

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Polymath View Post
    Found some load data of 32 Long Colt 32 Short Colt They are Center fire but if you are rebuilding offset rimfire case it may be close. Something to think about anyway.Scan.pdf
    Thanks

Old handbook data is based on centerfire configuration using small pistol primers. These rimfire adaptors use more energetic priming, so have to be backed off quite a bit. My own loads using 6mm acorn blanks run about 1.7 grains bullseye, and that's in a "Long" case trimmed to .800". A "Short" case needs to be less. Maybe only 1.0 grain. Of course none of this is relevant when using nailgun loads, which I personally don't like, even though they're cheaper.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master
    The nail gun loads are 8 cents, I don't have blanks, but I have less expensive .22 rf ammo that I have used, and you get .22 bullets as a bonus.

Boolit Master
    Speaking of more energetic priming. I am about to try some rim fire reloads using prime all and I have to use a pretty good amount in the 32 cases to fill the rim.

Boolit Master
    I am having spotty results repriming 32 rf using "All Prime." I am sure it is my technique, but results are 50/50 bang/no bang. Got more work to do there.

I got a new old box of .32 short rf. Canuck with 80 gr. copper plated outside dry lubed bullets. They had a bit of green funk on the outside, but it mostly wipes off.

Chrono tests

3 1/2" pistol 515 fps

18" rifle 850 fps

Homemade 32 long rf, 80 gr bullet outside lubed bees wax and STP, #3 ramset. From the pistol (the rifle is 32 shorts only) 735 fps.

Tim

Thanks! All data is good data when it's based on actual measurement.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by uscra112 View Post
    Thanks! All data is good data when it's based on actual measurement.
    I am trying to add to the knowledge here. Your welcome.

Boolit Master
    I recently bought a S&W Model 1 1/2 .32 RF (labeled as a 3rd issue by the store). It came with a box of Navy Arms .32 Long RF ammo (approx 33 rds). I wasn't sure if I should trust the smokeless ammo in that old gun. I posted some info on the S&W forum and a member there said that smokeless rounds that he chronographed had lower velocity than the BP rounds. I still wonder about the initial pressure from smokeless when a round is fired.
    Anyhoo, I still haven't fired a round but I'm going to try making some using your method.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Polymath View Post
    Thanks! I've got a couple of Stevens boy's rifles, a 1915 Favorite in .32 long, and a #26 Crack Shot in .32 Short I've been planning on converting to centerfire for at least a year now. Gotta shovel out the workshop enough to get to the bench where I can do the work. Your load data is greatly appreciated!

Bill

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Battis View Post
    I recently bought a S&W Model 1 1/2 .32 RF (labeled as a 3rd issue by the store). It came with a box of Navy Arms .32 Long RF ammo (approx 33 rds). I wasn't sure if I should trust the smokeless ammo in that old gun. I posted some info on the S&W forum and a member there said that smokeless rounds that he chronographed had lower velocity than the BP rounds. I still wonder about the initial pressure from smokeless when a round is fired.
    Anyhoo, I still haven't fired a round but I'm going to try making some using your method.
    I don't know about the pressure of the Navy Arms made in Brazil ammo, nor if it would be safe in your S&W.

What I do remember from firing some of it through my Remington No 2 Rolling Block rifle, is that an extra coating of lube will not hurt (leaded the barrel) and the cases are fairly brittle (several case splits) some along the body, some at the firing pin.

There was a very hollow sound to the shots when the case split.

Robert
    Last edited by Mk42gunner; 08-14-2022 at 07:21 PM.

Boolit Master
    A couple more data points.

32 rimfire long

Remington

3 1/2" Pistol 595 fps

Canuck 80 gr.

3 1/2" Pistol 508 fps

Tim

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrounge View Post
    Thanks! I've got a couple of Stevens boy's rifles, a 1915 Favorite in .32 long, and a #26 Crack Shot in .32 Short I've been planning on converting to centerfire for at least a year now. Gotta shovel out the workshop enough to get to the bench where I can do the work. Your load data is greatly appreciated!

Bill
    Pictures to go with the PM you sent.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	341_0564.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	20.0 KB 
ID:	303362

Tim

Boolit Master
    Small data set and compounding dissimilarities but, new info.

I test fired a new to me S&W Tip Up 1 1/2 old model with the following results.

Three failures to fire with old ammo of various makes, two had a firing pin strike in the center of the head like it was attempted to be fired in a centerfire gun. Similar ammo did fire in another 1 1/2.

One factory round fired, a Navy Arms distributed 32 short round made by CBC with a Magtech headstamp. Velocity was 667 fps. Case split see pictures.

Name:	mmore 32s.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	15.5 KB 
ID:	310833

Name:	more 32s.png 
Views:	4 
Size:	310.2 KB 
ID:	310834

One of my made adapters with a #3 ramset and a 82 gr. bullet velocity 665 fps.

For what it is worth. You probably won't find an older gun chambered for this round unless it is a S&W #2 Old Army tip up.

Tim

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast