RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingInline FabricationLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionWidenersRepackbox
Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 32 rimfire data that is not on the web.

Navy Arms longs did the same sort of split when fired in my 1915 Favorite. Not once but several rounds from the same box.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master

Cool................
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dtknowles View Post
    sweet!.

Boolit Buddy
    I am trying to add to the knowledge here. Your welcome.
    Good work and thanks for posting! I have a .32rf Xlong #2 rolling block shooting RCC brass with the small nail gun squibs and black powder. It is fun to shoot but I'm looking for a chronograph so I can document the rounds.

Ed Zeranski
    San Diego/Borrego Springs

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by EdZ KG6UTS View Post
    Good work and thanks for posting! I have a .32rf Xlong #2 rolling block shooting RCC brass with the small nail gun squibs and black powder. It is fun to shoot but I'm looking for a chronograph so I can document the rounds.

Ed Zeranski
    What you using for a bullet and what nail gun loads. Using 30 cal. round ball and #3 nail gun loads (no other propellant) I get 1300 fps out of my Stevens bicycle rifle.
    Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Boolit Buddy
    What you using for a bullet and what nail gun loads. Using 30 cal. round ball and #3 nail gun loads (no other propellant) I get 1300 fps out of my Stevens bicycle rifle.
    Tim
    The lead is a .32 caliber 90gr heeled bullet from Old West Bullet Moulds loaded in an RCC .32 XL case. Unfortunately I think RCC has croaked. Primers are #1 ramset because I cannot find the #zeros anywhere. The .32 l and XL cases have been shot with squibs from #1 up to #4 but the higher number squibs splay out so badly they are a bother to remove and I don't want to waste a case. Lately I've been using the #1 squibs to light off a slightly compressed load of 3F black...great pop, smoke and smell and so far no case damage. We did find some pre-shot .32L rf brass I want to try with Prime All but have not had time to play 'guns' due to extensive building/roof damage by winter's high desert winds. The little #2 roller is a real treat, elegant.

EdZ

Boolit Master
    The lead is a .32 caliber 90gr heeled bullet from Old West Bullet Moulds loaded in an RCC .32 XL case. Unfortunately I think RCC has croaked. Primers are #1 ramset because I cannot find the #zeros anywhere. The .32 l and XL cases have been shot with squibs from #1 up to #4 but the higher number squibs splay out so badly they are a bother to remove and I don't want to waste a case. Lately I've been using the #1 squibs to light off a slightly compressed load of 3F black...great pop, smoke and smell and so far no case damage. We did find some pre-shot .32L rf brass I want to try with Prime All but have not had time to play 'guns' due to extensive building/roof damage by winter's high desert winds. The little #2 roller is a real treat, elegant.

EdZ
    Yeah, my bicycle rifle is not as elegant as a roller, but it has a charm of its own. It only takes .32 shorts so using the ramsets I have to breach seat the bullets, even round balls.

I am not having luck with prime-all in rimfire applications. I am going to try somemore with a different binder.

Tim

Yeah, my bicycle rifle is not as elegant as a roller, but it has a charm of its own. It only takes .32 shorts so using the ramsets I have to breach seat the bullets, even round balls.
    Tim
    Perfect place for the 6mm acorn blanks and a wee pinch of Bullseye - maybe 0.9 grains.

Shame so few of those wire-stocked Stevens guns have survived.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by uscra112 View Post
    Perfect place for the 6mm acorn blanks and a wee pinch of Bullseye - maybe 0.9 grains.

Shame so few of those wire-stocked Stevens guns have survived.
    Lots of guns just very few with stocks. I got a second barrel in .22 LR that just needed sights so now I have two barrels and the wire-stock. The stock is not really wire. It is a nice brass casting with nickel finish. Mine the serial number matches the gun.

Tim

Brass casting! THAT I didn't know.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master
    Brass casting! THAT I didn't know.
    At least mine is, it does not attract a magnet, same with the frame. The could be forgings but they are nickel plated brass.

Tim

IMHO brass has too low a yield point for that application. I'll believe cast; forging dies would have cost a mint. But I'm thinking this explains why there are so few left. They got bent or broken too easily.

I read somewhere that these were called "Sunday guns". Because they were easily concealed, a young man could sneak out of town to hunt on Sunday, which was illegal in most settled areas. Still is in some places.

Phil
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Buddy
    Yeah, my bicycle rifle is not as elegant as a roller,......

Tim
    I always thought the "bike" rifles were really cool! Ya gotta figger....bicycle madness was in FULL swing in the '90s and rail could take you from in the city to village and country then back. I saw a neat holster/carrying pouch once for just that purpose, taking the pop-gun on a train ride ~8^) Oh, could your stock be bronze instead of brass?

EdZ

Boolit Master
    Tim
    thanks was my question. The loads for those stud driving guns do vary quite a bit in power.

Boolit Master
    I always thought the "bike" rifles were really cool! Ya gotta figger....bicycle madness was in FULL swing in the '90s and rail could take you from in the city to village and country then back. I saw a neat holster/carrying pouch once for just that purpose, taking the pop-gun on a train ride ~8^) Oh, could your stock be bronze instead of brass?

EdZ
    It could be bronze, it is plated so can't really say but it does not attract a magnet. I looked at it more closely since this discussion and it might not have been cast as one piece, where the two rods attach to the butt plate it might be a braze/weld joint but it is not obvious as it is nicely done and very clean joint.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by barnetmill View Post
    thanks was my question. The loads for those stud driving guns do vary quite a bit in power.
    In my gun I stick to #3. If my local store had #2's I would use them. My rifle has a brass frame so I don't feel comfortable with #4s. I don't know much about the strength of your gun.

Boolit Master

EdZ
    I have this nice soft case for my double rifle. That rifle takes down very easily, has a spring loaded catch for the forearm and with the forearm off the barrels comes off when open the action. Then the forearm snaps back on the barrels. The case has a padded pocket for the barrels and a place for the butt stock/action. Makes for a handy package, case has a shoulder strap. It would be cool to have a similar soft case of the appropriate size for the bicycle rifle. I saw a picture of a rig like you describe but I don't know if the case had separate compartments. I guess if it did not have separate compartments, I could put a denim sock over the stock, basically a pant leg with a tie at each end to keep things from getting scratched. Really don't want to scratch the plating. On the double rifle the wood is so gorgeous that I would really hate to see it scratched.

For a short while Stevens sold a version of the Favorite that came with a canvas case designed to hang on a bicycle crossbar.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master
    For a short while Stevens sold a version of the Favorite that came with a canvas case designed to hang on a bicycle crossbar.
    You don't see a lot of take down style guns being made anymore. It used to be a lot more popular. I guess, AR 15's are sort of take down able but I don't think that was the intent plus the upper on an AR is not that much shorter than the whole gun with the stock in the shortest position.
    Tim

Boolit Buddy
    You don't see a lot of take down style guns being made anymore. It used to be a lot more popular.
    Tim
    My Marlin 39A Mountie carbine is sort of a take down and I've seen a scabbard for that purpose but it was not for sale.

EdZ

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast