WidenersInline FabricationRotoMetals2PBcastco
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Repackbox Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 7.62x25 from .223

Boolit Master

7.62x25 from .223

I'm trying to form 7.62x25 from .223. I measured and cut the .223, then ran it through the die. The cases won't chamber completely (I removed the barrel to test). .223 headspaces on the shoulder (right?) and that appears to be the problem - the shoulder isn't set back enough. I tried two different presses, two different shell holders, shimmed under the brass in the holder. Could it be the dies?

Boolit Buddy
    It should work. Do you know if the chamber on the barrel is properly cut (will a factory loaded round fit properly?). .223 headspaces on the shoulder as does the 7.62X25. Could be the dies. If it is the dies you could lightly grind the base of the sizing die to allow the brass to be sized slightly shorter. Or, get another sizing die...

For those people who shoot blanks through a subgun, the 7.62X25 blanks are typically made with .223 brass so making live brass should be similar only trimmed shorter.

Boolit Master
    When you form the shoulder and case neck by running the cut .223 case into the 7.62x25 sizing die, what do you do about the thickened case neck? Do you have to ream the necks?
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Boolit Buddy
    In my shoes. And where ever they take me.
    You didnt say you trimmed to final length after forming...

Measure your formed cases and compare to a print.

Who made the dies?

I haven't done this in almost 30 years, when no boxer primer brass for 7.62x25 was available. You should be able to make it work, but converting .223 brass is a LOT of work. Once you get cases to chamber, you're likely going to need to either inside or outside neck ream. The cut down .223 brass is much thicker than the necks of factory 7.62x25. Before I could obtain Starline 7.62x25 factory brass, I found that 9mm Magnum brass was easy to trim and form and didn't require neck reaming. 9mm Magnum brass is probably rare today, however...Graf's has PPU Tokarev brass available in stock right now. https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog...roductId/74481 Graf's also has both Starline and PPU .30 Mauser (not Luger) brass currently available that you can probably substitute for 7.62x25 without any problems.

Boolit Master
    The dies are Lee. I trimmed them to length with a Lyman trimmer.
    Grafs has the brass but won't ship to me in MA, even when I use a NH address.
    I have one vintage round that drops right into the removed barrel. I measured the outside neck diameter and it's the same as the cases I formed. I reamed out the neck on the five rounds I formed using a 19/64 drill bit.
    What's strange is that I primed a few cases, chambered them one at a time, the slide closed, they went bang and ejected. The fact that the slide closed on an empty case makes me think I'm missing something.
    Maybe they are chambering when the slide closes but not when I drop them into the removed barrel.
    I have some Starline brass from Bayou Brass on the way that should answer some questions.

Boolit Buddy
    For the cases that you primed, chambered and fired is there any indication of the case mouth starting to crimp in like a roll crimp that would indicate the brass being deformed in some fashion when the slide forceably closing on the case. Or any other dings or deformations on the fired brass?

Boolit Master
    I just primed a few more, dropped them into the barrel, and closed the slide. It closed even at a slow pace. They each fired and ejected. The primers aren't pierced, the brass isn't deformed or marked.
    The problem is that I usually use a removed barrel as a gauge (if I don't have a cartridge gauge for that caliber). Bad idea this time. I think the cases are chambering (obviously if they fire and eject). User error...
    I'll load some true dummy rounds tomoorrow.

Boolit Buddy
    I have played this game and ended up with usable cases. Like others have said, it’s a lot of work and the cases are not perfect. The case heads are a bit small (though not enough to cause extraction issues in my CZ), the capacity is less, and the brass is thicker. I found outside neck turning to work best for thinning the neck of the cases. Even after all that they still tend to be very tight in my CZ’s chamber. I have considered milling down one shell holder just for those dies to adjust the shoulder back a bit more (better to modify the cheaper part mentality). Once they are fired they fit much better but look like pregnant guppies. I have yet to try them in my Tok AR but it’s on my to-do-soon list.

I really just need to bite the bullet and get on Starline’s back order list…

Boolit Master
    There are easier ways.
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

I made mine from .223 blank rounds that had thinner necks. So avoided a lot of the issues.

I also think bullet choice can make a big difference. I had issues with the lee round nose 90 grain handing up about 1/3 of the time.
    Eventually I got and used the Lee .314 truncated cone nose tumble lubed design and all my problems went away.
    I also bought some starline brass which did not hurt any.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Boolit Master
    Well, the empty cases chambered, fired and ejected, so I tried a cast bullet, sized down to .309 (the bore measured .3095). I seated the 75 gr bullets at different depths, crimped, even ran the dummy rounds into a .223 sizer (deprimer removed). None chambered. I'm getting good (and tired) of removing the slide, barrel and extractor. I'll wait for the Starline brass.

I had problems the first try at converting 223 to 7.62X25. Getting the shoulder in the right spot was my problem. As I had my dies in a Lee Classic Turret that is what I used to size the cut down 223. The Lee press is a great little press and I use it a lot but (mine at least) won't cam over solid enough to set the shoulder back to the proper spot. The shoulder was left about .006 long and I didn't have enough foresight to tear my Tok down and do a plunk test before loading up a batch. Changed out the FL size die to a Rockchucker and the problem was solved. Gp Edit: My Romanian Tok chambers .312 bullets with Starline brass

I had a lot of trouble with my Tok not closing and locking when I first started reloading, even with factory brass. Then I discovered that I was applying too much crimp, which caused a slight bulge in the neck.

Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

Quote Originally Posted by WRideout View Post
    I had a lot of trouble with my Tok not closing and locking when I first started reloading, even with factory brass. Then I discovered that I was applying too much crimp, which caused a slight bulge in the neck.

Wayne
    7.62X25 was my first adventure into bottleneck auto loading pistol rounds and as Wayne said too much crimp can also cause chambering problems. Best to take an unsized fired round and take accurate measurements of the neck O.D. and shoulder placement and make sure your loaded rounds don't exceed these measurements at any point. This should give a couple thousadths clearance in the chamber. Gp

Boolit Master
    I read that some shooters use 9mm Mag brass to make the 7.62x25. I don't have any but I have 9mm Largo brass, which is close. I tried one - not so good. I'll just wait for the factory brass to get here.

Boolit Master
    The Lee dies are marked 30M on the expander/powder dies and seating die, but Tokarov on the sizing die. 30 Mauser dies are slightly longer than the 7.62x25 (7.63). If I have a .30 Mauser sizing die, would that explain why the shoulder isn't set back enough?

I found I have to trim outside neck and trimming inside was a pain so I ran them in 308 win die for the inside width then they would fit the outside neck trimming tool but the cutter head is longer than the case part that holds the bullet so I trimmed a 308 case outside neck and cut off about 1/8 inch and put it on neck trimming tool as a stop so I do not have to watch not to trim the shoulder.I also have an extra drill chuck that works well to hold the brass.
    Last edited by mf79; 07-31-2022 at 10:24 PM.

Boolit Master
    If you have a lathe, it is easier to just form 38 specials, trim to length and turn the heads and you end up with case that have the right head diameter. They also will have more capacity. I would rather turn the heads than the necks.
    TEK
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Boolit Master
    I'm thinking that the sizing die isn't reaching down far enough to push the shoulder back where it should be. I have one factory round that I'm using for comparison. The shoulder is definitely lower on the factory round than any I've formed from .223 (same case length). I'll wait for the Starline brass to get here before I mess with the die.

I'll try a .38 sp case (drill press time - I don't have a lathe).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast