Inline FabricationWidenersLee PrecisionRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingReloading Everything
Load Data

Thread: boyd stock/lever rifle

Boolit Mold

boyd stock/lever rifle

I just purchased a boyd stock for my rossi 92, lever rifle, does anybody know how the fit is. was wondering if Ill be needing a gunsmith to install it

I am a bit curious why you need a new stock.
    I would see how it fits before using a gunsmith.
    It might just slip on.
    I have only used a gunsmith once in my life and figured I could do as good or better myself.
    Some years ago, I built a .50 BMG rifle from scratch, so I figure I'm not doing too bad.
    I have seen people here do gunsmithing that routinely puts my best efforts to shame.

Back at the beginning of June, a guy going by the name of donhuff posted a thread called "I Got a Boyd's Stock". For some reason I couldn't copy the link to that thread, but use this link to another relevant thread to get to the Rossi 92 forum, then search "I got a Boyds Stock".
    https://rossi-rifleman.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=7184

Some get the Boyd's stock for the R92 because the factory stock feels like a Youth model stock. Short LOP and rather square edges for your cheek.
    I put a leather extender on mine, feels great now and much cheaper than a new stock.

Also the wood used and stain and finish (or rather lack of) are barely satisfactory.
    Staining the wood darker is nice, but wood stain won't do much, you need to try a leather dye like Fiebings. I used a wood stain but it didn't darken much.
    I like how it looks now, but if I ever re-do it I'll try the Fiebing's Dye.
    My stock looks better now and actually has some protection for the wood.

That laminated Boyds stock would probably make that R92 feel like an adult size stock, but it will be heavier than the light Brazilian Gumwood or whatever it is that Rossi uses.
    I went the route of just adding some length to the factory stock and keeping the Rossi at it's light sub 5 lb. weight.

It seems like good advice to try it and see. Most lever actions just require removal of one or two tang screws and a good pull to the rear to take the old stock off. If the stock was advertised as "finished" or "factory fit" it should go right on. If Boyd's stocks require any fitting they're usually advertised as such.

DG

Boolit Mold
    I dinged the forearm pretty bad. I did buy a forearm from Steve guns (used) the fit was horible and I ruined the screw putting it on (have one ordered) I didnt like the stock it came with new anyway so I said screw it and bought the boyd. I read in a few forums that the forearm barrel band can be a night mare to get the screw started, quite a few had problems trying to do it to the point of asking for help.

Oh..so we're talking about the forestock rather than the buttstock. Yes, getting that screw through the barrel band can be a problem on most lever actions, not just Rossi. I've struggled with them before, and usually eventually got it to work just by wiggling the band and stock around and squeezing the barrel and magazine tube together. It takes patients--don't try to force the screw into the hole as you'll ruin the threads and maybe the threads in the band also.

DG

The way I read it was the OP got a replacement buttstock as well.
    That thread on the Rossi forum did mention minor fitting I believe.

I had no trouble getting the band screws in the first time I removed the wood. The next time the screw didn't want to go into the big band around the forearm. I tried the small band that is by the front sight and it went in the first try.
    I took a long nose punch that was slightly smaller than the screw, and put it in the far side. Using it as a sort of slave pin, I pushed the punch out as I pushed the band screw in.

If the hole through the wood is tight and deflecting your screw enough to where it doesn't want to line up, some have drilled that hole in the wood slightly bigger.
    Another trick some have had to do is squeeze the band, sometimes the band needs to be compressed for the end of the screw to line up.

There is a thread on this forum called "What's the trick to reinstall a Rossi M92 Forearm ?" by 357shooter from 6-24-2012, some of these methods are discussed.
    I wish I could just throw up a link but my computer is letting me copy some but not others.

i ordered a butt stock for a rossi 454-480 with recoil pad(ask and was told they had the stock with recoil pad), and recieved a regular 92 butt stock with standard hard butt plate, called and had a pick up order issued and again told them what i wanted and was assured they had it and would send it. they sent the same 92 butt stock as the first one. i,m done with them.

I got a boyd laminated stock for CVA scout. Needed a little 'carving' here and there for a good fit. No need for gunsmith, just a little careful 'observation' of fit in tang & contact places. Basically, contact area, not screws, take the recoil.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by eastbank View Post
    i ordered a butt stock for a rossi 454-480 with recoil pad(ask and was told they had the stock with recoil pad), and recieved a regular 92 butt stock with standard hard butt plate, called and had a pick up order issued and again told them what i wanted and was assured they had it and would send it. they sent the same 92 butt stock as the first one. i,m done with them.
    Geez, I would be too.
    “You should tell someone what you know. There should be a history, so that men can learn from it.

He smiled. “Men do not learn from history. Each generation believes itself brighter than the last, each believes it can survive the mistakes of the older ones. Each discovers each old thing and they throw up their hands and say ‘See! Look what I have found! Look upon what I know!’ And each believes it is something new.

Louis L’Amour

The Californios

Many years ago, I bought a .44 magnum Rossi Puma at a gun show, NIB (new in box) Model 65 SRC INTERARMS Alexandria, Virginia.
    It seemed cheap at the time at only $275.00, I did have to fill out a 4473 or whatever that number was, so evidently, I didn't get in on that "Gun Show Loophole" the left keeps talking about.
    It is a Winchester Model 92 clone.
    The stock is made of some kind of Walnut.
    When I took it to the range and shot it the stain came off on my hands and cheek, I looked pretty silly.
    I cleaned off the stain and rubbed it down with BLO.
    The stock length always seemed fine to me as the new one I just got in .357 magnum does.
    I guess I must be a little guy compared to most of you.

Quote Originally Posted by sandog View Post
    Back at the beginning of June, a guy going by the name of donhuff posted a thread called "I Got a Boyd's Stock". For some reason I couldn't copy the link to that thread, but use this link to another relevant thread to get to the Rossi 92 forum, then search "I got a Boyds Stock".
    https://rossi-rifleman.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=7184

Some get the Boyd's stock for the R92 because the factory stock feels like a Youth model stock. Short LOP and rather square edges for your cheek.
    I put a leather extender on mine, feels great now and much cheaper than a new stock.

Also the wood used and stain and finish (or rather lack of) are barely satisfactory.
    Staining the wood darker is nice, but wood stain won't do much, you need to try a leather dye like Fiebings. I used a wood stain but it didn't darken much.
    I like how it looks now, but if I ever re-do it I'll try the Fiebing's Dye.
    My stock looks better now and actually has some protection for the wood.

That laminated Boyds stock would probably make that R92 feel like an adult size stock, but it will be heavier than the light Brazilian Gumwood or whatever it is that Rossi uses.
    I went the route of just adding some length to the factory stock and keeping the Rossi at it's light sub 5 lb. weight.
    By the way that looks beautiful.

Boolit Buddy
    A lever gun shouldn't have a long LOP, especially a pistol length action. The whole point is so you can smoothly work the lever while shouldered and the front sight doesn't move off the target. Your lever gun length of pull should be about 1-1.5" less than your correct shotgun LOP. A good trick I heard years ago from a rough feller was to "point yer pecker at the bullseye, not yer left ear." If you square up to the target, instead of standing with your shoulders 45 degrees off from the target, the lever works as intended and the LOP works as intended.

Quote Originally Posted by mnewcomb59 View Post
    A lever gun shouldn't have a long LOP, especially a pistol length action. The whole point is so you can smoothly work the lever while shouldered and the front sight doesn't move off the target. Your lever gun length of pull should be about 1-1.5" less than your correct shotgun LOP. A good trick I heard years ago from a rough feller was to "point yer pecker at the bullseye, not yer left ear." If you square up to the target, instead of standing with your shoulders 45 degrees off from the target, the lever works as intended and the LOP works as intended.
    I can't remember how I square up to the target, but I must be doing it right, as the stock seems fine to me.