MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationRepackboxTitan ReloadingWideners
Load Data

Thread: 255gr SWC Gas Checked for a 44 Mag

Boolit Buddy

255gr SWC Gas Checked for a 44 Mag

Hi folks,

I lucked out and managed to pick up just under 1000 .44 cal semi wad cutter gas checked bullets.

I'm looking to run them in a .44 mag 1892 clone.

Lyman lists a very similar bullet (#429244) with 8.9 - 12.1 gr of Unique @ COAL 1.6800 - This could be a bit long to run through the action. Any thoughts or experience? (I also have N105, N110 and H110 powders)

Advice much appreciated.

Scrummy

Moderator Emeritus

They worked through my older Rossi when I had it. Mine would also feed 44 specials with out issues as well as the 429421 plain based. The limiting factor was my shoulder.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    IF the SWCs will feed through your M1892 .44 Magnum, they should work quite well. ANY of the 3 propellants you mention would, I expect, give you very good performance with your new projectiles. H110 routinely demonstrates that it is the performance champion in the original magnum revolver rounds. Just remember that your starting load should be within 3% of the maximum charge weight, for work-up, to avoid erratic ignition. Magnum pistol primers are your friend, also.
    The VihtaVouri web site lists no data N110 in .45 Colt, but you might e-mail VV, explain that you are loading for a modern, well-made carbine capable of handling .454 Casull pressures, and ask them for data for .45 Colt. There IS data for N105 in .45 Colt, which uses 250 gr. projectiles, and gives 1129 f/s from a 6" (probably unvented) barrel. This isn't a "TC/Ruger only" load, but it IS warm. From your somewhat longer (and unvented) carbine barrel, I would expect a nice increase in muzzle velocity.

God bless England, and God save the Queen.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post
    They worked through my older Rossi when I had it. Mine would also feed 44 specials with out issues as well as the 429421 plain based. The limiting factor was my shoulder.
    Thanks very much! My Chiappa has no issue with Specials. I could load them in .44 special cases and would definitely be short enough.

Scrummy

Boolit Buddy
    @Kosh why would I be asking about 45 colt? I have a .44 mag?

Best wishes,

Scrummy

Boolit Buddy
    I’d first check if they fed in your rifle. SWC’s were designed for use in revolvers but some rifles feed them fine. If they are too long to feed using 44 mag brass, you might need to crimp in front of the front drive band. If you have 44 Spec brass you will likely be able to use the crimp groove.

The next thing to check is bullet diameter. Rifles tend to have larger diameter barrels and will generally shoot best with fatter bullets. Bullets that size 0.429/0.430” will still be useable but you will likely need to keep velocity down to minimise leading.

Vihtavouri list load data for their powders on their website and H110 is the same powder as Win 296.