MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxWidenersLee Precision
Load DataTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ordered an 1858 Uberti stainless

Ordered an 1858 Uberti stainless

Stoked by the stainless finish and toughness of the 1858 frame. Anyone have any words of wisdom for this revolver?

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Congrats and enjoy when you get it! Only advice I can give is to remember you live AZ where the sun always shines - you might want to get a pair of sunglasses to wear when you are shooting it! LOL Plus side is you can always use it for a signal mirror if you ever get lost out in the desert. "-)

It will be a good revolver and you'll like it. Have fun with it. . . . and stay cool out there!

I have an 1858 replica, not a ss.
    Fun pistol and I even took a deer with mine some years back.
    The #11 caps have started showing up at the WW here as of late.
    Have shot both reg. BP and Pyrodex through it, both quite accurate.

RP

Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care".

Boolit Buddy
    My only suggestion is to get the timing checked and corrected if its not right, most Italian replicas are not timed properly out of the box.

Boolit Master
    I had a Stainless Steel pistol years back that like said was really shiny.
    So I bead blasted the pistol to make a more Matt Finish.
    In fact,
    I still have a Ruger Blackhawk .357 stainless that I bought when I was 21.
    To dull it down a bit , I just buffed it down with a Scotchbright pad.
    It isn't as shiny now , but not a totally matt Finish.
    Maybe the Italian pistols are a little off on timing because they have Jet Lag from being shipped halfway around the world.
    LOL
    Last edited by LAGS; 07-29-2022 at 11:30 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    I have several in blued finish - two in .44 and 7 1/2" barrels and one in .36 with 5 1/2" barrel. The two .44s are cartridge converted and were used by Sam Worthington in "The Last Son" movie. Attached a couple of photos. Both were distressed for the movie. The actions really smoothed out by the time the filming was over...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LeMay Pistol, resized.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	87.6 KB 
ID:	302658

Name:	LeMay's Revolvers, resized.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	82.9 KB 
ID:	302659

You will like yours I'm sure.

Boolit Buddy
    LAGS, you may be right about jet lag! It's interesting to me how many oddball little problems I run into while tuning these revolvers. Just had 2 Piettas recently with tight wedge slots that wouldn't seat the barrel lug and frame together, the wedge would be bound in the arbor slot and not pulling both pieces together. With Uberti it's the short arbor thing but the internals are really good, like they started to tune the revolver and stopped halfway through.

Wow...this is one sexy beast. I'll clean and shoot soon, but I'm already thinking custom grips and nice leather for my first barbeque gun! Action seems smooth, grips are slightly proud above the backstrap, will have to sand down slightly. I don't really know how to check the timing, but it LOOKS like it lines up...

Name:	1858 home.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	62.0 KB 
ID:	302873

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Looks great! You are going to LOVE it. The '51 Colt Navy has always been my favorite, but I own six '58 Remingtons - Pietta and Uberti - 5 pistols and 1 revolving carbine - 36 and 44. All have been great right from the box - smooth actions and no issues at all. I doubt you will have "timing issues: so don't fret over it - just shoot it and enjoy it and have fun!

The grip being a bit "proud" is not unusual and is an easy fix. Take a look at what AZ Grips offers - you can see them on fleabay. I recently got a set of their checkered aged ivory grips for a '51 Navy project I'm working on and I like them. Thinking of a set of them for a '58 Remington 5 1/2" I'g going to use a Kirst Conversion gated cylinder in.

You got a "keeper" - enjoy!

Very nice, I'm jealous. Take the grips off, field strip it and put the parts in the dishwasher after shooting. It works well.
    I've only had Colt copies and Ruger Old Army cap & ball revolvers in the past. I'd love to try a Remington copy.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Bub
    I had the 1858 NMA target in stainless and after maybe 7-800 shot's noticed a bit of gas cutting on the strap , I do not know if this was down to me using felt wad's under the ball or not.

Boolit Master
    Pedersoli makes the best Remington replica, but you're going to pay for that perfection.

The dishwasher? Never thought of that - certainly there are parts inside that aren't stainless?
    I didn't get out this last weekend, so it will be this weekend. I did take the grips off, sanded them down and stained them back to almost the same, even though the area sanded turned out to be much smaller than I thought. They are not a tight nit, so they had "rotated" slightly, moving them back and retightening the grips solved most of the problem.

Boolit Buddy
    I would think the missus would have something to say about the sulphur smell coming from her dishwasher.

Boolit Buddy
    Not to mention exposing your family to lead poisoning !!!! I would never do that !!!

Mike

Boolit Mold
    I have that exact model in stainless and it's my favorite BP handgun. Surprisingly accurate; you're going to love it. Good luck.

Getting out to the range this weekend, ordering a holster/belt. It's the cheapo Triple K rig, but that's what I could find.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by armoredman View Post
    Wow...this is one sexy beast. I'll clean and shoot soon, but I'm already thinking custom grips and nice leather for my first barbeque gun! Action seems smooth, grips are slightly proud above the backstrap, will have to sand down slightly. I don't really know how to check the timing, but it LOOKS like it lines up...

Name:	1858 home.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	62.0 KB 
ID:	302873
    Looks like you can get conical/picket bullets into it. I t would look horrible, but I would find someway to make sure the front sight and rear notch were dark. That looks like a very strong gun.

The front sight is a wee bit hard to pick up, so I might paint just the back edge either black or orange, and it certainly feels strong as a tank.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast