Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Repackbox Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pump action ar15 pistol. Disabling gas system

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by kenton View Post
    That is flat out wrong. If you don't believe me take a hacksaw to a shotgun and show your local friendly ATF agent your new 12in barreled shotgun.

The issue I see is that atf defines a pistol as being intended to be fired with one hand, clearly a pump action is not intended to be fired one handed. They could claim because of that it is a short barreled rifle. One might argue that it falls in the same gray area as the short "shockwave" style firearms since it doesn't fit any definition but I don't want to be the person testing that case law.

That said we are all adults and can do what we think is best for our selves.
    I was referring to state AWB. Yes the nfa is a thing. however pistol braced Ar15s with hand stops and angled forward braces have been used for a long time and the atf isn’t chasing them for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I have done a pump fit to a ar and then took a side discharge upper and put a bolt on kinda like the Swiss army rifles have. The spring in tube made too much noise so I cut a piece of rubber sandal inside of tube against back wall and noise went away. Fun to do when nothing else to do.
    Look twice, shoot once.

Boolit Buddy

Pump action ar15 pistol. Disabling gas system

With the gas disabled and the pump cycling reliably with all common j-word ammo.

Has anyone had success with getting an ar15 to cycle with round nose ammo similar to a round nose 30-30 type bullet ? Or at least something with a wider frontal area. My feed ramps are the m4-5.56 type despite being chambered in 300blkout.

I may ask a local gunsmith to recut the ramps but I’m unsure what type or dimensions of cut will actually work for a wide nose.

Alternatively are there other magazine follower designs that can offer some assistance in this?

The left ramp feeds almost fine with pmags. The right not well at all.

GI mags not at all

Last edited by johnsonian09; 08-07-2022 at 08:55 PM.

Boolit Master
    There is a mod one can do in the sides near top of PMAGS for the 300 BO, helps a bunch. Removing the sharp edges from feed slots is a good first start, nice smooth radius and try some.

Quote Originally Posted by kenton View Post
    That is flat out wrong. If you don't believe me take a hacksaw to a shotgun and show your local friendly ATF agent your new 12in barreled shotgun.

The issue I see is that atf defines a pistol as being intended to be fired with one hand, clearly a pump action is not intended to be fired one handed. They could claim because of that it is a short barreled rifle. One might argue that it falls in the same gray area as the short "shockwave" style firearms since it doesn't fit any definition but I don't want to be the person testing that case law.

That said we are all adults and can do what we think is best for our selves.
    Kind of comparing apples to oranges with the shotgun comment.
    About taking two hands to operate, just about every semi-auto pistol takes two hands to operate, for the first shot anyway.
    But then again with the gun laws are, you may be right, perhaps not right now, but maybe next week.

Boolit Buddy
    Also, they sell mares leg, lever action pistols here.. that definitely takes 2 hands. So a pump doesn’t seem like it should be a problem.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12