RepackboxInline FabricationSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
WidenersReloading EverythingLoad DataRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hornady Cam Lock puller...What am I doing wrong?

Hornady Cam Lock puller...What am I doing wrong?

Good grief no matter what adjustments I try I can't seem to get past this

Boolit Master

Get a Inertia bullet puller.
    I don't know a any thing about the above critter.

Quote Originally Posted by 45workhorse View Post
    Get a Inertia bullet puller.
    I don't know a any thing about the above critter.
    God no...I have one and would toss them before taking the plastic hammer apart, inserting the bullet, using my strength to bash it on the floor, powder goes everywhere in the puller, taking it apart, removing the bullet, powder everywhere, rinse and repeat...No thanks.

Figured it out: This video is invaluable. I watched Hornady's and it wasn't that great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5mfFD2O0Us

This is a great tool now! Fast and you can save every bit of powder, bullets, and brass.

Boolit Master
    This type of bullet puller requires a parallel portion of the side of the bullets to engage the collet. Most handgun bullets do not have this. Post #2 is correct. If you do not like that option, try the side cutters or modified wire crimping tools and this will destroy the bullet but save the case.

Guess I typed too slow.

I used one of those to pull about a thousand .40 cal. Hey they work and the plastic somehow held up fine. Best method is to grab a piece of old 2x wood to put on your counter and beat on that or you’ll definitely soften / pulverize your bench.
    I find they work great are cheap and do the job plenty well enough. All it is is slow but then so is a reloading press. Runnings has them for about $20.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The Hornady Cam Lock puller has to be the best money I've spent so far in reloading in general. Just pulled 150 bullets in no time with as much effort as I do while reloading (using the press). You guys that use an inertia puller are absolutely crazy and should upgrade to this.

No damage to the bullet or casing once I figured out how to dial it in. If I can do it anyone can!

Boolit Master
    Do they work with powder coated lead bullets?

Quote Originally Posted by Carrier View Post
    Do they work with powder coated lead bullets?
    Yup! Tried it on one of my 9mm little Lee mold powder coated bullets. Not even a little mark and pulled it fine.

Pure lead might be another story though...

I'm a big hammer/inertia puller fan too.
    Just use a single stage shell holder instead of that 3 piece mess that comes with it.

When the bullet comes out, pour it and the powder in a bowl.
    When you have a few, take out the boolits, and pour the powder back in a can.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    I'm a big hammer/inertia puller fan too.
    Just use a single stage shell holder instead of that 3 piece mess that comes with it.

When the bullet comes out, pour it and the powder in a bowl.
    When you have a few, take out the boolits, and pour the powder back in a can.
    Yup, why complicate things unless you’re routinely pulling hundreds.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Driz View Post
    Yup, why complicate things unless you’re routinely pulling hundreds.
    There's a big learning curve in this addiction.
    Also, I often have to aggressively try not to over think this stuff.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

A lead ingot or muffin works very well to strike an impact puller against laid on top of your bench or the floor. Doesn't cause any damage to the bench or puller.

Boolit Master

I have an RCBS collett bullet puller and use it only on 30-06 military ammo. I have had a inertia bullet puller for over 40 years and that is what I pull everything but military ammo bullets. I seldom have to pull most ammo anymore and I did pull quite a bit of 30-06 corrosive primer ammo in the 60's and 70's with my collet puller. But I did have to put each round into a seat die and seat it just a tad deeper to break the bullet sealer bond on the bullet loose and then pulled bullets came out without a mark at all on them. Learned this trick from an old WW II veteren who did the same thing to his military ammo. james

Boolit Master

I wanted to Mexican Match some 7.62x54r surplus some years back. No way in the world was I going to hammer out 100 rounds. Screw that.

Got one of those Hornady Collet pullers; best money I've spent in a while.

Once it's adjusted,, just put the cartridge in the holder, raise the ram, tighten the puller lever, lower ram. Easy peasy.

Pull 3 or 4 a minute. No spilling the powder either.

No banging away like BamBam, driving the whole house crazy.

Absolutely a fantastic buy. I have 4 collets now. Need more.

Quote Originally Posted by Bookworm View Post
    I wanted to Mexican Match some 7.62x54r surplus some years back. No way in the world was I going to hammer out 100 rounds. Screw that.

Got one of those Hornady Collet pullers; best money I've spent in a while.

Once it's adjusted,, just put the cartridge in the holder, raise the ram, tighten the puller lever, lower ram. Easy peasy.

Pull 3 or 4 a minute. No spilling the powder either.

No banging away like BamBam, driving the whole house crazy.

Absolutely a fantastic buy. I have 4 collets now. Need more.
    You pretty much summed it up. I can only imagine the inertia puller folks are the type that also kept their cap and ball revolvers into the 1880's case it was better than them dang blasted cartridges.

I have a Forster collet puller but only the 8mm collet. I also use an intertial puller.

I believe the idea of having to use a whack-a-mole puller for more than ten rounds will make you a more careful reloader!

Boolit Master
    I have a similar contraption from RCBS, I think. After using it to pull apart literally hundreds of 70 year old 8mm Mauser surplus, I can honestly say I would never consider using the impact puller type devices again. Nope nope nope.
    I'm a big fan of data-driven decisions. You want to make me smile, show me a spreadsheet! Extra points for graphs and best-fit predictive equations.

Boolit Master
    The trick to an impact puller is the same as using a hammer to put in a nail properly. Let the tool do the work, do not try to force it harder than it wants to go. Anybody who has done automotive body work knows how to slap with a hammer. You swing it down but before it hits you loosen your grip a little and let the hammer follow through. Same with the pullers. Do not try to knock the bullet out with one shot, it is not going to happen. I have found three hits is the average. I am using the same inertia puller my dad used to pull thousands of bullets from 30-06 rounds in the 50's, it still works fine today and it is not falling apart. It is all in the technique.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Stopsign32v View Post
    You pretty much summed it up. I can only imagine the inertia puller folks are the type that also kept their cap and ball revolvers into the 1880's case it was better than them dang blasted cartridges.
    You just might be imagining wrong. No need for an inertia puller for a cap and ball revolver. I have the RCBS collet puller and use it any time it will work. Some cast and jacketed bullet shapes don’t lend themselves to being pulled with a collet. As said, technique is everything with an inertia puller. If it’s held tightly as with a carpenter’s hammer, it’s not working at the best efficiency. It HAS to rebound. The impact surface is important as well. I think vertical end grain is far superior to a bench top. Something like a 4x4 on end, resting on the floor and attached to your bench works well. I was lucky to have a piece of 4” thick engineered beam left at my last house. It’s 14”x 16” so it’s heavy and has plenty of inertia of its own. It’s relatively gentle on the impact puller, too.

Right after a move my presses weren’t set up yet. A friend offered to load some .40 S&W for me on his Ammo Plant for upcoming matches. At the first match with that ammunition I had a squib and had to withdraw from the match. Not trusting the ammunition, I had to pull about 350 boolits with an inertia puller. No way to pull truncated cone boolits with a collet. It was justified. There was one more round in the batch without powder.
    Last edited by David2011; 08-29-2022 at 09:34 PM.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast