Titan ReloadingInline FabricationReloading EverythingLoad Data
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Wideners RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rust kills KIA Sportage

Boolit Master

Rust kills KIA Sportage

Wife 2009 KIA Sportage is dead!!! Uni-body car, rear subframe arms rusted till parts of reared mountings are pulling out of the frame arm. Unsafe to drive. Most of this type of car rusts there and are only good for 10-17 years. The body of the car has no rust so was looking at another 70,000 miles or 8-10 years the way she drives.

It was an experience trying to buy a car today. We have a Honda HR-V SPORT in transit be here Aug 13-17. Had to pay sticker price but no add on price. Most of the dealers here in the Indy area was adding on a "Protection Package" for $2300-$3200. Wear-Tek isn't that high.

Boolit Buddy
    The new HR-V is a massive improvement over the previous iteration. I hate that you’re out a car but I think you’ll be pleased with the new ride. I see a LOT of problems with Kias and Hyundais.

Quote Originally Posted by warren5421 View Post
    Most of the dealers here in the Indy area was adding on a "Protection Package" for $2300-$3200.
    There is always some money grab like that going on.
    Years ago, dealers here charged $200.oo for pinstriping a new car.
    It was not painted on. It was a 1/16th and a 1/8 inch double line of tape going from front to back.

At the time, you could buy the same pinstripe tape the dealers used from a body shop supply store for $9.88 plus tax.
    That got you a 150 foot roll of it.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

I know, get yourself a really cheap, Tesla. Course there is the…….list is very long, negatives, starts with the price.
    As a farmer I am waiting for the 3 point hitch and the PTO so we can plow with them……
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Boolit Buddy
    I am impressed that the engine in any Korean car lasted long enough to rust the car out.

Boolit Buddy
    Years ago, dealers here charged $200.oo for pinstriping a new car.
    It was not painted on. It was a 1/16th and a 1/8 inch double line of tape going from front to back.

At the time, you could buy the same pinstripe tape the dealers used from a body shop supply store for $9.88 plus tax.
    That got you a 150 foot roll of it.
    Exactly what I did in 1995.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by downzero View Post
    I am impressed that the engine in any Korean car lasted long enough to rust the car out.
    I’m not. I worked over 40 years in the auto industry for both GM and Ford in quality engineering/mgt. I have also worked with several Asian manufacturers on joint ventures. Don’t confuse S. Korea with China….two completely different quality worlds and approach to longevity and reliability.

Boolit Master
    I have a 2015 Hyundai Tucson that's a pretty good car - no problems except the clear coat is starting to lift in various areas where the sun hits the hardest. I just bought my wife a 2022 Chevy Equinox but only about 75 miles on it so not enough history to comment on life expectancy - but her last Equinox had zero problems. I ordered a new Subaru Outback for myself but it's a 3 month wait. In the meantime, the Hyundai keeps chugging along. I would have no problem buying another one if the Subaru deal falls through.

Boolit Master
    You could have some steel plates welded in to replace the ones that rusted away and have another few years left in your ride

Boolit Master
    ziebart is less than $300. is probably much better than anything the dealer is offering for $$thousands.
    dealers want you to buy all other kinds of things these days, selling a vehicle alone isn't good enough for them anymore they got extended warranties and towing service and electronic doodad monitoring and all kinds of other monthly fees they can add to you vehicle sale price. buyer beware on all those add ons. most extended warranties no matter who sells it to you aint worth the paper its written on

Quote Originally Posted by HWooldridge View Post
    I have a 2015 Hyundai Tucson that's a pretty good car - no problems except the clear coat is starting to lift in various areas where the sun hits the hardest.
    Watch out with that Tucson. If it has the theta motor in it then its a ticking time bomb. There is a 2013 Tucson that is a driveway ornament at my house right now. Its blown up 2 motors already (con-rod bearing failure, and then crank bearing failure) and the 3rd motor is starting to knock already. We have been fighting the dealership about replacing the motor a 3rd time now.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by skrapyard628 View Post
    Watch out with that Tucson. If it has the theta motor in it then its a ticking time bomb. There is a 2013 Tucson that is a driveway ornament at my house right now. Its blown up 2 motors already (con-rod bearing failure, and then crank bearing failure) and the 3rd motor is starting to knock already. We have been fighting the dealership about replacing the motor a 3rd time now.
    I have the 2.4l Theta and so far, no problems (knock on plastic); this one has 122,000 miles. I really hope my Subaru arrives before too long - I already made a deal with the car dealership so hopefully nothing blows up on the Hyundai in the meantime.

Quote Originally Posted by farmbif View Post
    selling a vehicle alone isn't good enough for them anymore
    It never was.

If you own a new car dealership---
    The real money to be made is in the parts and service depts...... Not the show room.

EVERYONE!

Boolit Grand Master

Hyundai's are known for being a 100,000 mile car. 2 CRV's hsre . 97 has 180,000 and the 2006 100,000. Both run down the road boring with AWD. I think we are going to trade the 2006 in for a new HR-V as our last car. Still looking for a 3/4 or 1 ton diesel in good shape for a hot shot then camper puller
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master

I think this is true info, the outfit that owns the Indianapolis 500 track and makes the rules the car owner have to live with, has decreed that all cars in the future will have to have Honda engines because they don't break?
    Ole Jack
    "'Necesity' is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of Tyrants: it is the creed of slaves."
    William Pitt, 1783
    "America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we faulter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." Abraham Lincoln.

Moderator Emeritus

Wife 2009 KIA Sportage is dead!!! Uni-body car, rear subframe arms rusted till parts of reared mountings are pulling out of the frame arm. Unsafe to drive. Most of this type of car rusts there and are only good for 10-17 years. The body of the car has no rust so was looking at another 70,000 miles or 8-10 years the way she drives.

It was an experience trying to buy a car today. We have a Honda HR-V SPORT in transit be here Aug 13-17. Had to pay sticker price but no add on price. Most of the dealers here in the Indy area was adding on a "Protection Package" for $2300-$3200. Wear-Tek isn't that high.
    Subframe arms should be a replaceable part... if the body mounts are rusty fabbing up new mounts would be easy

Moderator Emeritus

deleted... double post for some reason

Boolit Master
    The 5 body shops I asked would not touch it. Said unrepairable as is part of the frame stability structures and they can't make and weld to the frame/body pan area and get the strength the factory does.

T they can't make and weld to the frame/body pan area and get the strength the factory does.
    Nobody that knows much about these modern cars will weld on the uni-body type frames.
    It weakens and screws up the heat treat. They can very easily crack & break right next to the weld.

As far back as the 80s, heavy trucks had "Do not weld to frame" stenciled all over them for the same reason.

EVERYONE!

Boolit Master
    just ordered a crv ex but wont be here till october msrp plus $2500 joe bidens america really sux

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast