RepackboxInline FabricationLoad DataReloading Everything
RotoMetals2WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Titan Reloading

Thread: Hughes dish in the Free Box

Boolit Master

Hughes dish in the Free Box

Lots of us in the country struggle with internet. I saw a Hughes satellite dish in the Free Box today when I stopped to check the mail and could relate. I've had Hughes for 5 years. I was hoping Starlink would capture enough business that it would lighten the load on Hughes. The last few months have been worse, constantly troubleshooting the connection when it drops out and slow speeds. I looked at Starlink and equipment is $600 plus shipping and $110 a month but they didn't intend to extend service in my area until 2023. They had a $100 deposit and you can get a refund right up until you confirm the order so I put down a deposit..... I got an email 2 weeks later saying the equipment was ready to ship. I'm going to say no? Got here Sunday and I was watching movies that night. Full definition except a couple spots, probably changing satellites.

So if you're on Hughes I just freed up some bandwidth for you and there will probably be another satellite dish in the free box soon.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    I ditched it all . I watch TV with the internet and a Roku box . Only thing I pay for is a Netflix subscription at less than $20 a month.
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

I think what he's talking about is satellite internet. About the only option in many rural areas.

I had to deal with Hughes via dish network for internet for 3 years. Awful. Power coop got into installing fiber cable. Best thing since sliced bread. Gigabit service, never fails except last week. Wasps got into the outside box and chewed the fiber cable.... but back up and going.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master
    Dish satellite is just as bad. Went with Starlink last fall and happy except for the cost.

Local utility company is dangling the possibility of fiber optic service. If it becomes available, I may switch as it will be less expensive. Also speed with Starlink seems to have slowed....maybe adding more users has had an affect.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master

had dial up and went to wireless internet about 2 years ago, probably about the same as dish. would love high speed but its not worth their time to run several miles of cable for one house.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Buddy

Starlink here since July 3rd, very happy with the service. I was paying $65/mo for copper line dsl with speeds maxed at 2.8mb/sec. and it was the only option.

Boolit Master

'Bout a hundred miles from the Gulf of Mexico
    Dial up, then Hughesnet, then two years ago, AT&T, Wireless service was installed. During Hurricane Laura, had internet all the way through till the standby gen set at the tower ran out of fuel, way up in the night! No outages, great speed, rain or shine! Living .4 miles from the tower doesn’t hurt either! Hughesnet? Their equipment was recycled.
    I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!

We stayed with Cable but dropped down to 35$ a month basic, plus a DVR (which we no longer use) and a small channel changing box in the bedroom so the wife can watch news and weather in the morning.

We have Amazon Fire TV on both. Bedroom has the smaller fire stick. Living room has a 4"x4"x1/2" box that has a RJ45 port for a lan cable. Much faster and smoother than wifi. We pay for Prime, get all that content. Also Hulu, Netflix are on an off. Either one starts getting short on content I'll suspend it for 3-6 months.

All and all we are still paying half what we used to pay for just cable, and have a LOT more control. With many more options as to what we wish to watch.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Moderator Emeritus

Congrats. Signed up over a year ago for Starlink and put down the deposit. Keep getting our covered area pushed back. Now we are sometime next year. Can't wait for them over this Frontier crap.

Boolit Master
    We got Starlink as soon as it was actin our area. It’s been awesome, worth the $500 equipment and it was $99/mo but went up to $110/mo. Nothing else (other local providers) comes close to the download speed and reliability
    8500' Wet Mountain Valley, Colorado

Moderator Emeritus

Had Hughes Net... it was bad news! always losing signal, a cloud goes over no internet... dumped it for Verizon internet with a cell modem then when DSL came to town went to 10gig DSL. This summer they finally hooked up the fiber in town so now have 1 gigabit fiber. I stream TV and can now do 4k with no drop outs!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by MrWolf View Post
    Congrats. Signed up over a year ago for Starlink and put down the deposit. Keep getting our covered area pushed back. Now we are sometime next year. Can't wait for them over this Frontier crap.
    Ugh! Before retiring I had several sites that had our network service delivered by Frontier. The company couldn’t do business without the network connections. Products couldn’t be blended and loaded, personnel couldn’t be assigned, customers couldn’t be billed; nothing could be done. Paper wasn’t an option due to business decisions made years earlier at the corporate level. Frontier was only available between 8AM and 5PM M-F. Not much help for a 24x7 oilfield service business.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Master
    my experience Hughes was better than nothing but then neighbor got viasat and they got about double the speed of Hughes ands the wifi box put out about double the power, enough to run wifi cameras as with Hughes the signal isn't fast or strong enough to run Reolink cameras.

Boolit Master
    My neighbor has Viasat and with 3 school age daughters he's up to $160 a month.

We almost got a grant for neighborhood wireless but Verizon shot us down even though they have NO Intention of ever bringing service here. ATT has poor DSL but they kicked me off as they had too many subscribers for the lines they had. They won't put up new lines. There is war going between att landline and wireless divisions.

Lets Go Brandon and the rest of the c-rats that promised internet for everyone!
    Mal

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
    I think what he's talking about is satellite internet. About the only option in many rural areas.
    That's what I thought. That is all that was available in my area until January of this year. We now have Fiber . Nothing but farms where I live. Nearest grocery store is close to 20 miles away.
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

Boolit Bub
    We have T mobile wireless internet, 50 dollars for 100 gig a month. It's just enough for my Bride and myself...

'dish for internet and tv with zero issues for 10yrs..Living way out we have no choice other than sat service.

Still on Hughes, costs me about $60 a month. I really like that Hughes somehow blocks ALL the "pings" from Chinese, African, and even USG sites looking for an open port on my computer to exploit. I used to get 100 a day sometimes. Also if you try to geolocate my IP address it reports some lat/lon in the middle of Kansas.

At the prices other posters have quoted, there will be no Starlink in my future. Not a video addict, so greater bandwidth is of no interest to me.

That free Hughes dish is undoubtedly an obsolete model that can't be used on the current satellite generation. I too have one lying around here somewhere from when they upgraded me to Gen 5 a few months ago.
    Last edited by uscra112; 07-30-2022 at 12:58 AM.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master
    We were paying $80 something for Hughes and sometimes there was No Service At All. We never got the data we paid for we paid for. Maybe they should have upgraded our dish but it's Too Late Now. Starlink is only $25 more than hughes for something that actually works.

I'm on the Right of most issues but Internet should have been like Phones and Rural Electrification. It should be low cost and Everywhere! I do most of my research and parts orders for work online. The government is more interested in filling their pockets than moving this nation forward!

Where would we be without Eisenhower's Freeways??????
    Last edited by Mal Paso; 07-30-2022 at 09:31 AM.
    Mal