Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyRepackbox
Wideners Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Matching a bayonet to a rifle

Boolit Master
    So my son was looking for a pocket knife so I had to dig out the crate full of knives & such. I took some pics of the socket bayonet I have. I was given to me. It was found in an old farm house wall in Holmes NY. It's a little out of round, bent & rusty.

Boolit Buddy
    Now where I can shoot and not worry where the bullet goes
    I asked for a better photo of the same angle you and DJ are showing. I'm not driving back to Connecticut today. So we can get a better point of reference. Yours with the rounded bridge is like DJ's and very unlike my friends.
    So here is a similar angle as you both have sent.
    He's still waiting to hear back from local groups, perhaps early this week.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0626.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	22.3 KB 
ID:	302716Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0628.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	23.3 KB 
ID:	302717

Boolit Buddy
    US socket bayonets usually mount to the right side of the musket. If they are secured by the front sight, the long slot is on top with the blade to the right when mounted. On M1842 muskets (and some others) the bayonet is secured by a short, square lug on the bottom of the barrel instead of by the front sight. The cutout in the bridge for those doesn't need to be as tall, because it doesn't have to go over the front sight. The bridge cutout on your bayonet is short and square--I don't think it would fit over a front sight, but it looks like it would fit on one of those bottom lugs.

Boolit Master

Boolit Buddy
    NYFirefighter357,
    The best hour of TV I’ve seen in a long time. And the first time I’ve ever heard of the “candle holder” for a bayonet. So all the way around I highly recommend everyone to enjoy this video.
    Just for the step by step loading process alone it’s worth watching. You can learn a lot by reading but comprehend more by watching.
    I past it along to friends and titled it “Watch the Candle Holder Video”. No one knew what I was talking about but after they all sent rave reviews.
    So thank you for sharing.

Boolit Buddy
    Just thought I would follow up on the progress of identifying the bayonet. There has been a news blackout from all the sources we contacted. Not a single word. As it stands now, we are going to go to an area gun show close to us to start, bring the bayonet and try matching it up to a rifle. He really wants a rifle he can shoot and display with the bayonet. So the search continues and I thank you all for your help and guidance.

Boolit Buddy
    I thought everyone would like to have a follow up to this posting.
    A definitive answer was received today as to the origin of the bayonet.
    It is an import model, for a Model 1835 - 1842 .69 caliber musket. And most of these would have been stamped with the US marking.
    I thank everyone for their kind input, help and guidance. All greatly appreciated.
    Now on to a gun to match it with.
    Zucca 1:1 Kill Your TV

Boolit Master
    You're on the East coast so if your friend doesn't find the correct musket locally I would recommend that he take the bayonet and go to the Maryland Antique Arms Collectors show in Baltimore in March. It's all antique firearms related. If it isn't for sale there it isn't for sale anywhere. Most of the venders want gun show prices but some will be quite reasonable. I found the correct bayonet, with scabbard, for my 1863 Springfield for $50.00.

Good luck to your friend and post pictures if he finds the musket.
    BIG OR SMALL I LIKE THEM ALL, 577 TO 22 HORNET.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks, I’ll pass on the gun show information to him. As you might imagine he’s very excited about this news. I’m sure we’ll be heading other shows and that one as well.
    I’ll definitely post any pictures for all to see.
    It’s going to be an interesting winter for sure.
    Zucca 1:1 Kill Your TV

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12