RepackboxTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionLoad Data
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CZ 52 springs

Boolit Master

CZ 52 springs

I recently bought a CZ 52, made in 1954. It's in really good shape. I haven't fired it yet (trying to find brass), but in reading about these guns, some shooters replace the 14 lb recoil spring with a Wolff 18 lb spring to tame the felt recoil. I'm thinking that a lighter (but still functional) load would do the same thing. Any ideas?

Also, does anyone know if a Forster neck reamer will fit in a Lyman Universal trimmer (forming cases from .223 brass).
    Last edited by Battis; 07-27-2022 at 09:12 PM.

Of course it would work.
    It'd be the same as putting a lighter spring in a 1911 for lower power target loads.

For full house loads, I'd get the heavier spring.
    For me, recoil isn't as much of a concern as battering the frame would be with the softer one.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

I bought new reloadable brass from Starline. I tried to form some from .223, not good as the base is slightly smaller.

Boolit Master
    Graf has it in stock, but they won't sell it to me because I live in MA (even with a NH shipping address).
    The spring looks fine - I'll leave it, at least until I shoot the gun. The recoil springs that I've replaced in older guns were usually the same as the original factory springs. Wolff offers a few choices for this gun.

Boolit Master

I've used 223 brass successfully without reaming. Works ok. Proper brass is worth it but you spend time looking for it before and after firing it...

Boolit Master
    The only source I can find is Graf. Even Starline is out (it's backordered). I'll try converting the .223. I have the Lyman Universal trimmer, but they don't sell a reamer. Forster does. From what I've read, a 19/64 drill bit will work.

I got lucky. Bayou Brass & Ammo had some in stock, and they're shipping it to me.
    Last edited by Battis; 07-28-2022 at 12:04 AM.

Plan on replacing the firing pin and check the rollers for wear.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Boolit Master
    That's what I'm looking for - any info on these guns. Springs, firing pins, etc. Never handled one before I got this one. They seem to be popular, and there's parts available.

Banned
    I like them , got mine at a gun show with a 9mm barrel 5 extra mags , holster , cleaning and a spare parts kit that had a recoil spring and firing pin in it .

When the tok ammo was cheap I used to pull bullets dump the powder and re-load the primed case with a .312 dia 110 grain bullet For the veteran shoots at the club I don't think anyone made brass for them at the time , and they fling brass all over the place as mentioned . I'd have a hard time putting the effort needed into making cases for one because of that unless you shoot somewhere without grass .

The firing pins are known for breaking, but I never had a problem with the pistols that my brother and I had. They are good 100 yard pistols although they point badly with a one hand hold. The only recoil problem I had was the sharp edge of the trigger blade hurt my finger after a few magazines fired. A dremel with a Kratex bit solved that.
    Neat pistols, but a bit too Euro for me. When the inexpensive surplus ammo dried up, I let mine go.
    I do remember my brother dispatching a range bull that had a broken front leg. The CZ52 only took one shot to end his suffering.
    And I took a gobbler through the base of the neck with one shot with mine. I filed a flat on the bullet noses for hunting.
    I still have a few of those surplus rounds in case a CZ52 or Tokarev show up.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I stripped the gun down, pulled the factory firing pin, then spent ten minutes looking for the firing pin spring. Then I read some more and learned that it doesn't exist. There's a replacement firing pin available from a company called Harringtons, and that pin has a spring, but that replacement pin and spring might disable the decocker, maybe allowing the decocker to fire a round. The current pin looks good and I'll make some dummy rounds when I get the brass.
    The rollers look slightly worn. The good news is that the gun isn't hard to work on, and parts are available at decent prices.

7.63 Mauser cases are interchangeable with the 7.62 Tok. - the recoil spring is heavy because the Czech 7.62 is loaded to much higher pressure then the other com bloc ammo specs - got mine when century was selling them complete w/accessories fo $90.00 - fired 600+ rds of hot chi com sub gun ammo with no firing pin problems - century recalled them in apx. 1993 for modification of the hammer drop safety defects -
    fyi prior to the lifting of import restrictions they were so rare they were selling for $3,000.00 + - made many collectors cry when thousands were imported in late 80's , early 90's -
    never pick a fight with an old man - if he is too old to fight he will just kill you -
    in this current crisis our government is not the solution , it is the problem ! -

ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM

as they say in latin

Boolit Master
    The reason I mentioned the recoil spring was because of what Wolff sells:
    Reduced Power...: 12.5 Lb.
    Factory Standard.: 14.5 Lb.
    Extra Power.........: 16.5 & 18.5 Lb.

I wonder about "reduced" and "extra power" springs in a gun this old. Sticking with the factory specs makes sense to me.

I found the Century Arms import marks.

the Czech's are well known worldwide for their quality steel + firearms production - like i stated mine shows no signs of firing pin wear or problems , nor with the factory rollers or cams - iirc some of the later importers were selling ones put together from misc. parts guns + not the factory inspected + rebuilt by the factory -
    never pick a fight with an old man - if he is too old to fight he will just kill you -
    in this current crisis our government is not the solution , it is the problem ! -

as they say in latin

Boolit Master
    Mine came with the holster, extra mag and cleaning rod. The store tried to pull a fast one on me, saying that the holster, mag and rod weren't supposed to be sold with the gun. Then, why did you display them with the gun?
    It worked out OK.
    The price should make those of you who bought one years ago happy that you did: $450 for the entire set up.
    They had another one with no holster for $435.00

the two i received from Century in early 90's was a Czech arsenal refurb + refinished that included two new original issue mags , new military marked holster , new cleaning rod , + new military issue lanyard with each one -

as they say in latin

Boolit Buddy
    Original firing pins are made of cast steel and will break at some point. Only real issue with the design.
    They are not the most ergonomic hand gun and do tend to bite you due to the stiff recoil and sharp edges. The eastern bloc countries never did pay much attention to comfort.
    Try shooting the mil surplus ammo at dusk; big fireballs. Also, at an indoor range, the noise is way above any 9mm or 40. Plus the steel baffles at the indoor ranges make all kinds of sparks due to the steel cased bullet.

Boolit Master
    I have two handguns that came with extra barrels: Ortgies: .32 & .380, and an Astra Star Super: 9mm Luger and 9mm Largo. I read that the CZ 52s can take a 9mm barrel. I'm not interested, but curious how they handle the 9mm. Anyone try it?

they do work with no other modifications , but i have not seen any 9mm barrels available in past decade except from individuals priced at 50 times their original cost - iirc the cz52 were originally designed for 9mm p , but the USSR would not allow it , so they went with the 7.62 but with a much more potent loading -

as they say in latin

Banned
    Except for a noticeable noise reduction with 9mm I can't say it feels any different or is more or less accurate . I'm not recoil sensitive so I can't comment on that except it feels about the same to me .

Has anyone ever had to change their rollers ? I think I might have put 500-600 rounds threw mine and they look the same as they did when I cleaned the grease out of it when I brought it home

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast