Inline FabricationWidenersRepackboxRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Snyders Jerky Load Data

Thread: 380 ACP 95gr LRN with Titegroup?

Boolit Bub

380 ACP 95gr LRN with Titegroup?

I am gearing up to add 380 ACP to my list of reloads, but wanted to double-check load data. Hodgdon's list Titegroup 2.8grs min / 3.5grs max behind a coated 95gr lead cast RN (which seems reasonable), but when checking that vs my Lyman book, it shows a min/max numbers all under 2.7grs max of Titegroup for all cast/jacketed/plated bullets? I have also see some large variance on some of the boards.

Does anyone have first-hand experience reloading these with that powder that can confirm for me? I would naturally start low, and work up, but with Hodgdon's min being above Lyman max I thought I'd do a sanity check and keep all my fingers intact.

Thanks!

Boolit Buddy
    In my shoes. And where ever they take me.
    I had the same issue a few years back. I started with the Lyman data. I found 2.4gr of titegroup will reliably cycle a LCP with a lee 356-95-rf lubed with alox.

Next problem was a measure. My auto disk didnt go small enough, so I made a dipper from a cci 22lr case. File it back to about 0.375 " long will get you to 2.4gr.

I use 3.2gr Win231 / HP-38 with a 95gr coated

I had planned on trying titegroup also, but the 231 worked so well right outa the gate, that I stuck with it

NRA LIFE Member

USPSA/IPSC

I have a lot of powder measures and have found the old Lyman #55s to throw small charges very reliably. My load for the 95gr. RNFP is 2.9-3gr of HP38 . I switched over from TiteGroup when I found an eight pound jug of the HP38 Gp

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Misery-Whip View Post
    I had the same issue a few years back. I started with the Lyman data. I found 2.4gr of titegroup will reliably cycle a LCP with a lee 356-95-rf lubed with alox.

Next problem was a measure. My auto disk didnt go small enough, so I made a dipper from a cci 22lr case. File it back to about 0.375 " long will get you to 2.4gr.
    Thank you... great idea. Amazing the variance between the two sources. Think I will lean towards the Lyman data as a start, as well. Appreciate the info.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    I use RCBS Little Dandy to meter small charges. I load Accurate 35-120H in .380 with 2.5 grains of Bullseye for use in original Ruger LCP, Beretta M1934 and SIG P230. Runs in all. I prefer the heavy bullet with large meplat. No feeding issues. Deep penetration .
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    I a 95 grain mold for my LCP. When I went to load I found powder charges for most powders all over the board for the 380. I decide to use the starting load out of a old Lyman manual for the 95 grain cast which was 2.2 grains of Bullseye. I loaded 5 alox coated with the 95 grain bullet 2.2 grains of Bullseye just to try in the brand new LCP. The little pistol cycled fine and the fired cases looked good so I just stuck with 2.2 grains. I used the Lee perfect thrower as it works well with small charges.

Anytime I load for something new I never load more than 5 rounds, rifle shotgun, pistol.

Boolit Grand Master
    I also normally use WW 231/HP38 for my 380's but I have used 2.9 grains of Titegroup taken from my Speer #14, which lists 2.7-3.1 grains for a 95 grain FMJ. I use either the 358-100 RD (which is virtually identical to the Lee 356-95 RF) or the lite version of the 356-242.

If I had to guess, I'd put my money on different brass being responsible for the different loads. IIRC, Hodgdon used Remington, Speer used Speer and My Lyman 3rd used Supervel and federal.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.