RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxInline FabricationWidenersLoad Data
Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mouses pissed up my ingot moulds...steam explosion

Quote Originally Posted by super6 View Post
    I am currently working on a 2003 silverado That mice have built a nest in the rely box, I am at a point as to how to clean it out.Do not wanna get sick! Turds and urine are present. How would you clean that out?
    I'd remove the battery, let it sit for an hour or so, mix bleach and water about 50/50 and put in a trigger spray bottle. Put on nitrile gloves and spray down the relay box. Remove the relays and spray it down again. Wait 15 minutes and rinse with clean water. Dry out with a hair dryer and put it back together. Make sure you dry it well and you won't have any corrosion problems.

This way nothing will be airborne.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bwana John View Post
    I have heard Mormon immigrants would give crystallized urine from pack rat middens to their children as candy, it was known as manna !?!
    Wow.
    The version I heard was dried urine was thought to be crystallized honey. A handful of people tried it and all of them got sick.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Quote Originally Posted by JSnover View Post
    Wow.
    The version I heard was dried urine was thought to be crystallized honey. A handful of people tried it and all of them got sick.
    It was something I read, and now can not find any reference to.

I have lived in different places that were overrun by both deer mice and pack rats, and while deer mice are deadly, it is no fun to open a upper cabinet early in the morning to get out breakfast cereal and have a pack rat jump out and bounce off your head.

4 places I have lived have had local people die from Hantavirus.

Quote Originally Posted by JSnover View Post
    Wow.
    It was something I read, and now can not find any reference to.

I have lived in different places that were overrun by both deer mice and pack rats, and while deer mice are deadly, it is no fun to open a upper cabinet early in the morning to get out breakfast cereal and have a pack rat jump out and bounce off your head.

4 places I have lived have had local people die from Hantavirus.

My wife’s stupid Himalayan pissed in my lead pot that sitting was on a chest freezer on the porch. Threw some stinky bullets for a while. She thought it was funny.

Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    Hmmm.. You should take GREAT PRECAUTION around rodent urine!

Hantavirus is spread from wild rodents, particularly mice and rats, to people. The virus, which is found in rodent urine, saliva, and feces (poop), can be easily released in the air in confined spaces when disturbed by rodents or human activities, such as sweeping or vacuuming. People can also become infected when they touch mouse or rat urine, droppings, or nesting materials that contain the virus and then touch their eyes, nose, or mouth.

An even worse danger is from leptospirosis. How the disease spreads: Eating food or drinking water contaminated with urine from infected animals. Contact through the skin or mucous membranes (such as inside the nose) with water or soil that is contaminated with the urine from infected animals.

There are a BUNCH of really serious diseases carried and transmitted by rodent urine..

One woman died from leptospirosis she got from drinking a canned Coke that was stored in a warehouse where dried rat urine was on the top of the can.

Diseases directly transmitted by rodents:

https://www.cdc.gov/rodents/diseases/direct.html
    You know you can get killed driving to the corner store

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Retumbo View Post
    So... should we not be concerned about rat urine in our homes or on our food? The reason I drive carefully to the store is I know everyone else doesn't.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Retumbo View Post
    So you shop at the store in the middle of the block.......

Next!
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Grand Master

I worked for a large city utilities department mainly on construction equipment. We were instructed, strongly, to report any rat droppings we found on any equipment that came into the shop, and stop working on it. Haz mat teams would come out (with full suits and equipment) remove the droppings, clean the entire truck/crane, etc. and spray with disinfectant. We would then let the equipment sit for a few days then reinspect before working on it. (as much a CYA move for the department as concern for employee safety/health). Hantavirus was not uncommon in So CA desert areas...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master
    Some of there places I've worked were nasty; sewage treatment - I tried not to think that every disease in Camden County New Jersey was going through that facility -, garbage incinerators, etc. It might sound amusing to worry about mouse/rat droppings considering what else is out there but an additional threat is an additional threat.

I hate meeses to pieces.

Boolit Buddy
    Mice love my Honda Fit when I go camping. Usually, peanut butter works to trap them. Last week it didn't. They licked it without setting off the trap. I just bought some glue traps for my next trip. One in the glove box, one under the passenger seat. Maybe a spring trap to boot.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 45DUDE View Post
    Moth ball will keep them out. Almost every rat nest I have seen was on the passenger side of the motor. <haven't figured that out>
    I'm going to buy some moth balls and put them under the hood next camping trip.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12