WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Load DataSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Repackbox Inline Fabrication
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Thirty Caliber Flat Points

Boolit Master
    A 12" twist is most likely better than a 10" but a 10" can do it also. I was thinking would the 10" twist expand better? Or go to pieces easier? Or not matter at all?

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 30calflash View Post
    Larry do you find the 12" twist better for soft cast hunting bullets better than a 10" twist?
    Most definitely, in the past I've always preferred a 12" twist to a 10" twist in 30 caliber. Given the same impact velocity and alloy I've never found either twist to affect the expansion or terminal effect of the bullet. However, I've always found the 12" twist could give 200 to 300+ fps more velocity with equal accuracy over the 10" twist.

I've been pushing the softer cast 311041 upwards of 2600 fps out of my 14" twist 308W with very good hunting accuracy to 300 yards (just the farthest I've shot it so far). The barrel is on a M98 action which I've a Gibbs inline magazine conversion for, so it feeds the FN bullets straight into the chamber without any left side hangups that are common with many FN cast in staggered magazines. I expect to be testing it on deer and pigs in the future.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Processing the first batch of these hybrid design rondezvous with Rama flat noses.

The bore ride portion is .303" diameter. Sizing the groove diameter .311 but that will probably increase.
    Tumbling with a mixture of Lee's and the cheapest bottle of carnauba polish they had in town.
    Push-thru sizing with DAX-LOOB* in the grooves contained within the .308 case neck.
    When cycling loaded cartridges through the action the front "corner" of the nose gets a small hickey. The corrugated bore riding portion engraves ever so slightly on the rifling.
    I'm about ready to start assembling some rounds. The bullet nose holder in a Lee seater die is reversible to provide a flat end to match the boolits so will use it instead of the RCBS or Lyman. The Lee factory crimp will probably be good.
    Wish I had more slower stick powders. Oh well. Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without!

*Pool hall scented DAX pomade that they no longer sell, lanolin, olive oil, beeswax. Oh, and a crayon for identification.
    It seems to work for everything. Some day maybe I'll use up this batch.

I forget what size and thread pitch the "cup pointed" set screw is but..... homade TP and while it's chucked up in the lathe,drill/tap for it.

Here's a RN 7mm Lee 130 with 3 different depth settings. 7-08 running 38g of Varget. Easy sub moa 5 shot 100 yd groups.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Screenshot_20221016-060020_Gallery.jpg  

Boolit Master
    I'm watching this with interest. If you can get an accurate load with those you are going to have a real thumper. Anxious to see shooting results.

For me this really is a pretty radical experiment in small bore hunting boolits, like once I thought about it had to try it out to see if I could make it work.

Even though having doubts about using a .35 rather than a .375.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by yeahbub View Post
    I've been experimenting with the group-buy 311041 plain base cast of 50/50 WW/lead, PC'd and sized .311. In 7.62x54 with 20gr of AA5744 at 100 yards it looks like a reliable 2" performer and may be this year's hunting combo. The jury is still out on the same load in the .30-30. The smaller case may need to be backed off to 19gr to produce acceptable pressure/velocity but testing continues with bumping a larger meplat for safety in the mag tube as well as mild engraving on the nose.
    yeahbub,
    I have that mould too, it's been a good performer for me. How fast are you running those boolits? I'm casting ACWW presently, but with the plain base I'm hesitant go beyond 1400.
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123