Snyders JerkyRepackboxTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Load DataWidenersRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision

Thread: Recent Score

Boolit Grand Master

Recent Score

I know you guys like pictures but I don't know how to post them anymore. Sorry!!!

I have about quit posting about my scores unless it happens to be a large one. Many of you that have read my older post know that I have a small local tire shop that saves weights for me. Even though I have moved away from there now a buddy still brings them to me. Well getting moved caused me to let them stay in the back of my truck longer than usual and they got wet. I sorted them the other morning before it got hot. Somebody had put a cardboard box in the bucket when it was about half full and it was really in the way. Being wet it would come apart when I pulled on it. I finally got down to where I could see it and it was a full box of 8oz truck weights! Yeah!!!

I thought is may have been accidentally thrown away and called the shop owner. He said they don't balance truck tires and to keep them. Yeah again!

On another note, my lead to non lead ratio is slowly falling and is about 55% now. Zinc seems to be giving way to steel (a good thing) and I'm seeing more and more stick-on weights.

Sorry for the long winded post but I haven't been on here much lately due to moving.

Boolit Master

Let them set in water for a few days, then drain them and wait a few more days. The visible rust will make it easier to sort out the steel weights. Actually a large magnet is the easiest way to pull out the steel weights after spreading them out on the driveway.
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

Boolit Grand Master

I sort by picking each one up and giving it a good look. I've sorted so many weights that I almost have a radar for the Zinc weights and the steel weights are very distinctive looking as are the stick-on weights. Any suspicious weight gets cut with a pair of Dykes. I've never timed it but I can go through a bucket pretty quick this way.

Boolit Master
    The problem with wheel weights sitting in water is that the clips rust and make a royal mess of everything if left long enough. I got a large trash can full of wheel weights that had been part of the estate of an old reloader so they were all lead. Actually I got a couple trash cans and a lot of other stuff but this can had sat outside and filled with water and stayed filled for a long time. All of the clips on the weights rusted and it was quite a mess. I had loaded them in 5 gallon buckets to be able to move them into my truck and then the garage so I then dumped them out on the floor and once dried out I kept shoveling them around to knock off all the rust I could. Using a magnet is ok for the bigger weights but the small ones you will snag the clip every time, quicker to just handle them and look at them. Like Lightman, I can blow through a bucket in in 15-20 minutes. I don't check each questionable one as I find it, I toss the ones I am not sure about into a separate bucket and check them all later. Usually a second look will eliminate a quarter of those as lead after looking closer. The rest get the cutter treatment.

my last score on lead was several months ago, when a friend who demo,s old houses ask if i wanted old lead water pipes(he knows i cast bullets). i said yes and he said he would drop them off when he got them sorted out, when i came home a week or so later i found several hundred pounds of just about pure lead water pipe on the lawn. when i ask him how much for them, he said how about a case of decent beer, he got two cases.