Snyders JerkyLoad DataRepackboxRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingWidenersInline FabricationLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading

Thread: Broken extractor on Mauser Model 71.

Broken extractor on Mauser Model 71.

Can this be welded back together so it works properly? It is spring steel. How would I heat treat it after welding?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	143B58EC-2A1E-4AC5-84DE-F649075C3076.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	82.8 KB 
ID:	302590

Boolit Master
    Id give it a go.....make sure the welder uses high carbon steel filler .....the welder should also be able to heat treat it........simply heat to critical point where it becomes non magnetic (bright red hot) quench in oil,then temper in a lead bath at 300-350C...........alternatively,you can preheat and weld with a 310/312 stainless filler ,and then straight into a lead bath at 300-350C

Thank you for the great reply. Can you go into the lead bath a bit more? Duration? Cooling process and time? My son is a great welder. But he knows a guy who is good with little items like this.

Boolit Master

Laser welding would most likely work best. I have welded spring steel with Ox/Acc but most of the rime I use a tig torch. Piano wire makes a good filler for spring steel. A stock make told me of a guy that does laser welding on springs, I'll see if I can get his name.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by John Taylor View Post
    Laser welding would most likely work best. I have welded spring steel with Ox/Acc but most of the rime I use a tig torch. Piano wire makes a good filler for spring steel. A stock make told me of a guy that does laser welding on springs, I'll see if I can get his name.
    Same way I do such things.

When welded up make sure that all the scratches from clean-up are polished out length wise on the piece. Any cross wise scratch will act as a stress concentrator. I heat springs to a good full red and quench in ATF. To draw back to a spring temper I pound a dent in the bottom of a can and put the spring in the hollow/dent and cover with ATF then heat the can with a torch until the ATF catches fire and then let it burn out and completely cool. So far I've not had any failures and I've made a lot of springs this way.

Good luck.
    BIG OR SMALL I LIKE THEM ALL, 577 TO 22 HORNET.

Thanks.

Boolit Master
    Having several of these, any thoughts on how or why this occurred?

Quote Originally Posted by Gtek View Post
    Having several of these, any thoughts on how or why this occurred?
    Are you saying you have several M71 extractors?

They say hindsight is 20/20. Yes I know what happened. The 348 Win rims were too big and the stress broke the extractor. I’ve since filed down my rims so they slide in and out without resistance.
    Once I get a good extractor I’m confident it will have no problems doing its job. Do you have one I can purchase from you?

Boolit Master
    Sorry for confusion, several complete 1871's and no extra extractors here. Been building a pile here for decades for soon to be retired enjoyment and having original boxed loads, and also both Bertram and modified brass. Correct brass is for the 71/84's and modified brass will be for the single pokes. Been watching you for weeks and just wondered what had occurred.

Yes it’s a bit frustrating but it’s okay. I can still shoot it and it’s fun despite having to use the ramrod. I’m used to flintlock reload speeds so this Mod 71 is fast comparatively. I’m in contact with a fella who plans on making the extractors sometime this year. He may even be able to repair my original. If you decide one of your 71’s doesn’t need an extractor be sure and send it my way.
    Last edited by mkj4him; 07-30-2022 at 08:22 PM.

Just an update. I was able to source some extractors in Germany. Already received and installed. Works fine. Now on to load testing.

I need an extractor! Would you be willing to point me to the source for a 71/84 extractor in Germany? Or.... does anyone else here know of a source in USA? (I'm in Alaska) It appears that a few repros were made, but I'm not sure by whom.... Numrich and Sarco... out of stock
    "Remember the Range Day and keep it Holy. May the light of the Holy Tracer guide thy aim!"

NRA Benefactor Member

Anchorage, Alaska

Boolit Master
    A 71' and 71/84 are not the same. There appears to be an aftermarket for the latter on the Fleabay now.