Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRepackbox
Lee PrecisionWidenersInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading

Thread: electronics instruction books

Boolit Master

electronics instruction books

maybe its just me but over the past few years I got a few new fangled electronic devices, a bore scope, a go pro, and a new car radio and all these things came with basically tiny instruction pamphlets that I need a magnifier to even read and then they really dont tell much as to what all the buttons and screens do or how to operate functions that pop up when you push those buttons. i feel like I need to go back to school or something to learn how these kinds of things operate and learn ability to use them properly.
    am I the only one that has difficulty figuring these things out?

Boolit Master
    I feel your pain.
    What I hate is buying something,, and it not even having an instruction manual at all. Just a little basic thing that says to go "online to download the owners manual."
    Cheap so-n-so's. Won't even print a real manual.
    And it's not easy to have a manual on a computer,, and need to set up a device in a vehicle.

Boolit Master

Yes, the ‘Online Owners Manual’ is a new low in customer care. We replaced our Dishwasher last year. The new unit came with an installation manual but the user’s manual is only available as a download. And this was an expensive (to us) unit. When I called customer service they said it was meant to limit virus transmission.
    Even worse, odds are 50:50 the technical writers that composed the Manual have yet to master the English language.
    Same goes for the ‘scan this symbol to see our menu’ BS. Nothing like trying to read a two inch by three inch menu because the restaurant is too cheap to regularly print and sanitize menus.

No, it happens to us too.

For problems with modern age electronic stuff- I have gone to "Plan B".
    We call our 20-odd year old niece.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    No, it happens to us too.

For problems with modern age electronic stuff- I have gone to "Plan B".
    We call our 20-odd year old niece.
    Ah, Come on WingerEd You probably been using her since she was 14 yrs old. My grandson scooped me when he was 12. So much for raining down wisdom from the elders.
    “You should tell someone what you know. There should be a history, so that men can learn from it.

He smiled. “Men do not learn from history. Each generation believes itself brighter than the last, each believes it can survive the mistakes of the older ones. Each discovers each old thing and they throw up their hands and say ‘See! Look what I have found! Look upon what I know!’ And each believes it is something new.

Louis L’Amour

The Californios

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by farmbif View Post
    maybe its just me but over the past few years I got a few new fangled electronic devices, a bore scope, a go pro, and a new car radio and all these things came with basically tiny instruction pamphlets that I need a magnifier to even read and then they really dont tell much as to what all the buttons and screens do or how to operate functions that pop up when you push those buttons. i feel like I need to go back to school or something to learn how these kinds of things operate and learn ability to use them properly.
    I've got an 8" Samsung tablet computer that I have a 500gb microSD card in with most of the stuff I need on it. If I find I need something else, I download it to the desktop, the Moto G7 phone, or the Samsung tablet, and move it where I need it. I've been taking that tablet, or one of it's predecessors to class with me for the past several years, with downloaded plans for the school projects and some of my own. Finished the class in precision manual machining May 10th, 7 years and 3 months after I started it.

I agree with you that it sucks for them not to include a manual, or drivers, or other info you need, but as long as you can get the stuff, and save it, I do like having the digital versions. Saves a lot of time feeding stuff through a scanner.

Bill

Boolit Master

Have been using Android cell phones since 2000. Week before last I finally found out how to paste an item from the clipboard. Did not find instructions anywhere oline, just trial and lots of error. Only have one app that I know how to copy from to the clipboard.

Also learned about 2 years ago how screen captures were done on a cellphone. Had a belt case that would cause screen captures to occur as I put my phone in it. After asking how to do a screen capture, I figured out how to reduce them. Went from 2 or 3 a day to one every 2-3 weeks.

Have searched several time about using Android to do various things an d had little luck in finding instructions.
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

Isn’t it amazing how small the letters can be printed?
    The sooner I fall behind...the more time I have to catch up with

Moderator Emeritus

When DVD recorders with hard drive storage, came out (the replacement for VHS recorders), I had to have one. BTW, they were short lived, due to the switchover to Digital OTA transmission and the advent of DVR services and online/on demand streaming.

Anyway, the user manual I got with the "Polaroid DVD recorder with hard drive" was massive. IIRC, it's the last large paper manual I ever got with a electronic device. It was like 200 pages, all with necessary content to understand all the features and it had complete point to point instructions for everything. When I sold the Polaroid to a friend, I told him how complex it was to use and understand, and I sold it cheaply, as to include the caveat that I will not be on call to help him figure it out. He said fine, that his son will help him. He never did figure it out. Years later, this topic still comes up in conversation.

One neat feature of this Polaroid, was you could input video from any analog source (including home movies) into the hard drive, then edit it, then burn it to a disc. I guess that sort of thing is easy to do, with a computer and the correct software. But it's impressive to do with a $200 DVD recorder.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by farmbif View Post
    I can add the instructions on (primarily over-the-counter) meds equally as bad with instructions in the teeniest font they could print with. (Of course the warnings to lactating women, etc. are quite large) A few years back I asked my wife to get me some more cough syrup, to which she retorted. "I just bought that bottle for you yesterday!". I didn't quite see the recommended dosage, having taken almost four times as much as I was supposed to have taken!

What I pretty much do now with electronics, farmbif, is either scan their instructions and then blow them up on computer; print; and now have them; OR -- if the company has instructions on line, do similar. Added -- hey, I just bought a battery charger with a ~ 3" x 4" x 1/4" thick instruction book. Roughly 70 pages. Guess what? Only FOUR pages were in English -- all following were in just about every used on this planet language 'cept smoke signals or jungle drums! A sign of the times; "the way it is "

Boolit Master

Electrod 47 about the kids knowing how to run anything electronic, remember that their knowledge and our wisdom is two different things. Some people have a lot of knowledge but very little wisdom.
    Ole Jack
    "'Necesity' is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of Tyrants: it is the creed of slaves."
    William Pitt, 1783
    "America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we faulter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." Abraham Lincoln.

Boolit Grand Master

I realized a while ago that it matters what you grew up with - My Dad grew up with horses, learned automobiles and electricity from the early days. I grew up with automobiles and learned computers. My children grew up with computers.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master
    The Starlink satellite English section it 4.5x6 inches in 2 pt type but in there I found:

"This warranty does not include damage due to.
    Lightning, electrical surges, fires. floods, hail, windstorms,
    earthquakes, meteors, solar storms, dinosaurs. or other
    forces of nature."
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Master
    Bought a chinese copy of a RWS 54 from Cabela's. Got a manual that had a parts list and exploded line drawing of those parts. Got to one of the trigger parts and it was described as "lump". Then it got to another part of the trigger group and it was also described as "lump". Not lump a or b. Not lump 1 or 2. Both were lump. And from a look at the castings they were lumps. Back in the box and back to Cabela's it went with it's "lump".

Boolit Master
    The 2 things that bug me
    1 owners manual that you need an electronic microscope to read and 2 the manuals assume you have some clue on how to operate the device.

Boolit Master
    The 2 things that bug me
    1 owners manual that you need an electronic microscope to read and 2 the manuals assume you have some clue on how to operate the device.

Boolit Bub
    I was looking thru my manual on a Kohler 440 engine I have. The booklet easily runs 40 pages....and only 5 are in English! The rest are in ever imaginable Indecipherable language.